Thread: The latest Intel Atom and AMD Carrizo L chips...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The latest Intel Atom and AMD Carrizo L chips...

....don't seem too be as bad as they look.

I was looking on NBC after seeing a review of a N4200 based laptop:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-P....182736.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-S....144751.0.html

Both have singled threaded CB R11.5 scores of between 0.6 and 0.66 and multi-threaded scores are around 2 it seems.

I was wondering how a Q6600 compared to this:

http://www.legitreviews.com/upgradin...7-4770k_2247/9

Wait,wut??

Single threaded scores are close to a 2.4GHZ Core2 Duo,and no doubt the lower memory bandwidth(or maybe the TDP limit) is not helping when all cores are under stress,but still that is still more than usable for a tablet or cheapo laptop especially since modern IGPs handle decode of media much better.

The Atom is especially impressive as it is meant to be a low cost chip with a 6W TDP. The IGP even handles H265 decode too(!!).
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 09-12-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Re: The latest Intel Atom and AMD Carrizo L chips...

I think the desktop chips would make ideal homebrew routers and NAS'. Dual or Quad core, albeit 10W TDP, but still, fractional compared to main-stream processors.

Alas, I've never been able to justify one, as I run everything off of a more powerful, older desktop as virtual machines. Just waiting for somebody to come along and say "Hey, could you put together a small homebrew pfSense firewall for me?"... I can't seem that happening as the usual level of question I get is "Printer no worky".

Thanks

They are still quite a bit behind low end mainstream chips though, A Pentium 4405U or Core M3 6Y30 provides a Cinebench R11.5 single core score of 1, a 70% improvement, and a multi-core score of 2.3-2.5.

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-int...tium_4405u-592
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C....149455.0.html

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    They are still quite a bit behind low end mainstream chips though, A Pentium 4405U or Core M3 6Y30 provides a Cinebench R11.5 single core score of 1, a 70% improvement, and a multi-core score of 2.3-2.5.

http://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-int...tium_4405u-592
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-C....149455.0.html
    Whilst being much bigger in terms of cost and yet in terms of ST performance I could not tell the difference between a Core i3 2100 and an A6 3670K. The A6 3670K which is in the other PC is probably scoring around 10% higher than a Q6600,ie,closer to 80 in CB 11.5 ST - yet using the very same rig now,I don't notice any slowdowns. I have a Xeon E3 1230 V2/Core i7 3770 with a faster SSD,and I couldn't really tell the difference for web browsing and general office stuff.

The fact that Atom has finally hit Core2 levels means its going to be sufficient for plenty of tasks.

This is why the PC market has slowed down so much - we have hit the point even an Atom has an acceptable level of performance and that Atom has onboard H265 decoding and a decent enough IGP for UI and browser acceleration which pushes a huge amount of the load off the CPU. This is why more and more people are using tablets and phones for general computing.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 09-12-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    ...This is why the PC market has slowed down so much - we have hit the point even an Atom has an acceptable level of performance ...
    To be fair to Microsoft, part of that is down to the improved resource management over the last few versions of Windows. Windows XP was a huge resource drain (particularly as you added service packs), and Windows Vista wasn't really any better; that was a big part of what drove ever increasing base specs of computers through 2002 - 2008. Since Windows 7, that resource requirement has probably reduced - so computers that would've been painfully unresponsive with Windows Vista can run Windows 10 smoothly and without issue.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    To be fair to Microsoft, part of that is down to the improved resource management over the last few versions of Windows. Windows XP was a huge resource drain (particularly as you added service packs), and Windows Vista wasn't really any better; that was a big part of what drove ever increasing base specs of computers through 2002 - 2008. Since Windows 7, that resource requirement has probably reduced - so computers that would've been painfully unresponsive with Windows Vista can run Windows 10 smoothly and without issue.
    But even then a Q6600 could run Vista perfectly fine as I had Vista on my system for quite a while. Vista was a shock at the time also because it taxed IGPs massively,and they reduced the requirements so the rubbish Intel IGPs of the time were "certified" to run the GPU parts fine,to keep Intel and OEMs happy. MS was probably improving effiency so they could get Windows onto more tablets and thin and light laptops,but either way a 6W TDP Atom getting to Q6600 levels with an IGP that also do HEVC/H265 decoding is pretty cool IMHO OFC. The modern Atom chips are certainly not anywhere as bad as the old ones it seems.

This is the NBC review I was looking at:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-As....186688.0.html

The system runs smoothly and we did not face any problems. The performance is sufficient for office and Internet applications. Thanks to an integrated decoder, it can run all usual video formats. The results of the PCMark benchmarks are decent. A performance gain compared to Braswell notebooks is noticeable again. The improvement is higher in the work and creative sub-benchmarks than in the home sub-benchmark, since a higher CPU performance has a bigger impact on the first. It is possible to increase the system performance of this computer by replacing the HDD with an SSD. This would make the system more responsive and loading faster.
    Intel's HD Graphics 505 graphics core is responsible for graphics output. The GPU supports DirectX 12 and works at a clock rate of up to 750 MHz. The graphic core also is based on a new architecture. While the predecessor (HD Graphics 405) still used Intel's Broadwell architecture, the HD Graphics 505 GPU is based on the Skylake architecture. Thus, the new GPU performs better in the 3DMark benchmarks than its predecessor. The CPU and GPU combination in the ES1-332 achieves about the same results in single-channel mode than the predecessor (e.g. in the TravelMate B117-M) in dual-channel mode.

Hence, there is still room for improvements in the ES1-332: Its memory controller also supports dual-channel mode. Hence, graphic performance will increase with dual-channel RAM. However, we could not test this, since the Aspire only has a single RAM slot.
    So if it actually had dual channel RAM the performance would probably be better even on the CPU side I suspect.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 09-12-2016 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Sorry, I've got to challenge that. I've finally moved one of my work virtual-machines from Windows XP to Windows 10. Clean build, natch. The XP build ran fine on 1GB of RAM allocated, and could run Outlook, Excel, SQL Management Studio, a terrible AV solution and some other bespoke things without getting into memory worries.

Windows 10 hits problems on 2GB. Things like DWM and Explorer, SearchIndexing (which if you want a working start menu are now mandatory) consume a lot more in a minimum state that you could wind XP down to.

Thread Information