Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

    I am totally new to this. I am really hesitant to get one since I believe the formula "skills > peripherals".
    Been reading reviews, watching vids online and friends that kept on teasing me made me feel left behind
    and that made me decide to go and try mechanical.

    I am looking for a mechanical keyboard for a beginner budget conscious me. Searched for those cheapo ones and found this.

    BIOSTAR GK3


    A mechanical gaming keyboard for $50 below. Yes, there are those Chinese brands with the same price tag but
    I think it would be better to get one from a established manufacturer.

    I am now using a led backlit gaming keyboard from dragonwar, yes lights are important,I love playing in the dark.
    Feel free to suggest anything within that price tag.

    Thank you so much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member kalniel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    28,761
    Thanks
    1,418
    Thanked
    2,841 times in 2,309 posts
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A UD3R rev 2
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 12gb DDR3 2000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD7870
      • PSU:
      • XFX Pro 650W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • O2 8mbps

    Re: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

    If you're going that cheap then you won't be getting cherry mechanical switches, which are basically the reason mechanical keyboards are nice. So don't. The cheapest cherry mechanical switch keyboard is the G80 I think:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

    Expect to pay more if you want fancy lighting as well.

  3. #3
    Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Last Aerie
    Posts
    10,787
    Thanks
    631
    Thanked
    865 times in 731 posts
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

    Re: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

    Scan often sell refurbed corsair keyboards, another option for a lower entry point.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Lenovo Flex 2 / 12GB RAM / 240GB Corsair Force 3 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: HTC One U11 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM12.1 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Third Foundation
    Posts
    913
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    99 times in 91 posts

    Re: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

    The term 'mechanical' started off as a bit of snobbery to distinguish a group of favoured high end switches from the unwashed masses.

    It has been put on a slightly more rational basis since then, but it's still not a very useful categorisation.

    If you're unhappy with the feel of your keyboard then it's well worth trying different switches and different keyboards. It is all about feel though, all the stuff about better response times might matter if you're a professional gamer but it doesn't for the rest of us.

    Personally I never notice keyboard feel while gaming. As long as the keys don't jam and the anti-blocking isn't obnoxious I'm quite happy. I'd quite happily game on the most awful keyboard I've owned.

    But I do use an expensive Strongman keyboard that would probably cost £150 if bought new these days because I find keys giving accurate feedback greatly helps while typing. It is technically a mechanical keyboard (Alps clicky) but I equally enjoy high quality rubber dome keyboards. I had a 486-era Gateway keyboard that was great and would probably have bought a Topre if it had been available in a modern UK layout.

    In short, do investigate other keyboards if you're unhappy with the feel of your current one but don't buy something just because it's 'mechanical'.

  5. #5
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    42
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    2 times in 1 post

    Re: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

    I've got a Func KB-460 i think it counts as a budget one as i paid £50 for it. Had it around a year now and i find it quite good.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: Looking for a mechanical keyboard for starters

    Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    If you're going that cheap then you won't be getting cherry mechanical switches, which are basically the reason mechanical keyboards are nice. So don't. The cheapest cherry mechanical switch keyboard is the G80 I think:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...hps_bw_c_x_3_w

    Expect to pay more if you want fancy lighting as well.
    i like how simple it is thanks for the suggestion

    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Scan often sell refurbed corsair keyboards, another option for a lower entry point.
    found a used K70, also considering that one

    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    The term 'mechanical' started off as a bit of snobbery to distinguish a group of favoured high end switches from the unwashed masses.

    It has been put on a slightly more rational basis since then, but it's still not a very useful categorisation.

    If you're unhappy with the feel of your keyboard then it's well worth trying different switches and different keyboards. It is all about feel though, all the stuff about better response times might matter if you're a professional gamer but it doesn't for the rest of us.

    Personally I never notice keyboard feel while gaming. As long as the keys don't jam and the anti-blocking isn't obnoxious I'm quite happy. I'd quite happily game on the most awful keyboard I've owned.

    But I do use an expensive Strongman keyboard that would probably cost £150 if bought new these days because I find keys giving accurate feedback greatly helps while typing. It is technically a mechanical keyboard (Alps clicky) but I equally enjoy high quality rubber dome keyboards. I had a 486-era Gateway keyboard that was great and would probably have bought a Topre if it had been available in a modern UK layout.

    In short, do investigate other keyboards if you're unhappy with the feel of your current one but don't buy something just because it's 'mechanical'.
    A factor i consider is durability. i once had a cm devastator gaming combo whatever, the mouse was broken after a few months. The keyboard is still functional but after a year it was sticky and i find it hard to press on. Now, can you say that mechanical keys is more durable than those membrane ones?

    Quote Originally Posted by aj1soad View Post
    I've got a Func KB-460 i think it counts as a budget one as i paid £50 for it. Had it around a year now and i find it quite good.
    that's one good looking KB too, sad im from asia and can't find it anywhere.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •