Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought my first RGB product!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Just bought my first RGB product!

I'm planning on changing everything I can to RGB, but am currently engaged on a different project. I'm putting glowing blue underlighting on my car, adding go-faster stripes and researching the web, via my favourite company, Google, for high-quality colour-changing furry dice.

And if anybody believes that, may I suggest an immediate visit to A&E, to seek an urgent psychiatric consult and a VERY good therapist, because only someone dangerously deluded would have bought into that.

The ONLY way I'd go for RGB products is if it's the ONLY way to get a suitable product, and even then, I'd want colours turned off if possible, and if not, set to minimal visibility. Like black.

2. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (29-05-2017)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 512Gb + 2Tb Samsung 860
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Don't forget the musical air horns....
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I'm planning on changing everything I can to RGB, but am currently engaged on a different project. I'm putting glowing blue underlighting on my car, adding go-faster stripes and researching the web, via my favourite company, Google, for high-quality colour-changing furry dice.

And if anybody believes that, may I suggest an immediate visit to A&E, to seek an urgent psychiatric consult and a VERY good therapist, because only someone dangerously deluded would have bought into that.

The ONLY way I'd go for RGB products is if it's the ONLY way to get a suitable product, and even then, I'd want colours turned off if possible, and if not, set to minimal visibility. Like black.
    RGB does have a time and a place, maybe not for yourself but certainly for me; I've recently started using a Razer Chroma keyboard, which provides an SDK for devs to dip into the lighting of the keyboard and set certain effects in games and software. Overwatch is amazing, adding a genuine level of usability that RGB is brilliant for.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

So far im loving the mouse. Taking a while to get it set up the way I like it but it certainly feels more accurate than my old one.

RGB is set to white (which is more blue than anything else, I suspect there isn't a dedicated white LED)... but I have left it on breathing

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    Don't forget the musical air horns....
    Ah. Erm, um ..... Ahem, didn't.

To be fair, while they can be musical, I had them set to single blast.

And by 'eck, lad, they were LOUD !!!

I'm sure I generated a sincere brown-trouser moment or two. Fortunately, no heart attacks. That I know of.

7. Received thanks from:

Phage (30-05-2017)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Shame - the Cucaracha is a personal fave
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Bagnaj97

I've got a couple of RGB items (mouse and logo on GPU), but in both cases the RGB-ness wasn't a factor in my purchase decision, it just happened to be there. I certainly appreciate having the RGB feature, but if the exact same item was available without lighting for a lower price I'd have had that instead.

The only place I want lights is keyboard backlighting, and preferably in red as it's less damaging to night vision when I'm doing astronomy related things.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    It seems like there is very little buzz about RGB in Hexus, are we just a community of old computer enthusiasts who arent down with the Kids, or is the industry just in an echo chamber creating its own hype over RGB?

The whole RGB thing still feels like a giant parody to me.
    It feels that way because, like many other things, people are using it and marketing it as a gimmick.
    To me, RGB is basically a choice of lighting. You choose ONE out of however many colours that suits you, most notably the colour of your backlit keyboard, with the added feature of being able to set clusters like the WASD in a different, more distinct colour or somesuch.

The follow-on is having the choice of different colours for other things, like fans, motherboard accents and the like. What they miss out on is the patterns - My RAM has running lights on, which alter speed and pattern depending on what the RAM is doing. If I had the choice, my components would have different lights for different tempeatures, or something, so I can see what's happening without having to ALT+TAB out of my game into HWMON or have an overlay in-game.

"Gamer styling" is another matter. I agree with the idea of it, but people like MadCatz do have some bizarre ideas on what they think looks "cool". I generally opt for quiet, good taste, which leans toward Corsair and Logitech for the most part.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    It feels that way because, like many other things, people are using it and marketing it as a gimmick.
    To me, RGB is basically a choice of lighting. You choose ONE out of however many colours that suits you, most notably the colour of your backlit keyboard, with the added feature of being able to set clusters like the WASD in a different, more distinct colour or somesuch.

The follow-on is having the choice of different colours for other things, like fans, motherboard accents and the like. What they miss out on is the patterns - My RAM has running lights on, which alter speed and pattern depending on what the RAM is doing. If I had the choice, my components .....
    I'd certainly concede that there could be specific circumstances where it's useful. I would certainly concede that some people like it. Just as some like fancy cases, transparent sides, and glowing fans. Some people also like furry dice hanging from their car mirror. Allegedly.

Hoonigan nailed it with
    RGB does have a time and a place, maybe not for yourself but certainly for me ....
    Exactly.

Personally, I want computer cases as anodyne as possible. I prefer to have them hidden away, if possible, and indeed my main system case is completey out of sight, with a remotely mounted power switch bypassing the case switch. I can get at it if needed, but generally, it's 'invisible'. The keyboard lives in an under-desk tray and slides out to use, and the mouse is plain and unadorned by either lights or fancy shapes.

In other words, I go for utterly utilitarian, and the 'style' that suits me is minimalist to the point of invisibility, and always function over form.

But if other people like backlighting, whether red, blue, rainbow or disco ball .... whatever floats their boat, I don't criticise it, or even have much of an opinion on it, beyond that it's not for me.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Phage View Post
    Shame - the Cucaracha is a personal fave
    PM me your address and I'll refit them to a car and surprise you with a rendition one fine, unsuspecting morning, maybe as you walk past on yourway to work. See if the brown trouser effect still works.

13. Received thanks from:

Phage (30-05-2017)

Thanks
    • Phage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair VIII
      • CPU:
      • 3800x
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb @ 3600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 850w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1

Here's a thought - ATX with added air-horns !
    Imagine the error messgages...
    Society's to blame,
    Or possibly Atari.

Ngt
    Registered+
    Thanks

How many people actually change the colour of their RGB setup once they've initially set it all up? Surely it's easier to just get something in that particular colour if so inclined. Unless that colour is some unpopular shade of yellow.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I'd certainly concede that there could be specific circumstances where it's useful.
    I kinda had to concede... First time I saw a backlit keyboard, it was some dim red monstrosity and I made considerable fun of it and its owner. Later on, a friend whose opinion I valued showed me his 'gaming station'. He played late at night with just a lamp on rather than the main light, but neither black nor white keyboard was enough and eyestrain resulted. A backlit keyboard was the answer and getting older my own self, I tried one only to find my eyes loving me for it... especially once I'd set it to the green light!

The rest is just like cars - personal decoration, suping up, choices of upholstry, trim level, colours, etc.
    While I may have a PC that looks like Knight Rider, I wear dark, plain ties and drive a dull blue Škoda... horses, courses.

HEXUS.social member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    ... not that it was in any way part of the reason I bought it, but I guess I couldn't avoid it forever seeing as there is barely a single rock left unturned in the market now.

I've never fully gelled with my G500 in the same way as I did with the G518 that came before it and I felt like it was time for a change. I looked about in the market at Corsair, Razer, Roccat etc... but it had to be logitech still.... so its the G502 Proteus Spectrum for me... what a ridiculous name.

So what RGB products have other people got so far?
    I have the same mouse; didn't even know it did RGB! I must have just left it in its default blue state. Like you, I was looking for a Logitech replacement and this one was rated highly.

The only minor issue I have had with it is occasionally hitting the sensitivity buttons (the 2 next to the LMB). However, it also took me a while to realise it shows the sensitivity level with the 3 lights underneath, so it is easy to reset.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrard View Post
    I have the same mouse; didn't even know it did RGB! I must have just left it in its default blue state. Like you, I was looking for a Logitech replacement and this one was rated highly.

The only minor issue I have had with it is occasionally hitting the sensitivity buttons (the 2 next to the LMB). However, it also took me a while to realise it shows the sensitivity level with the 3 lights underneath, so it is easy to reset.
    Id recomend looking into the software. Once you set it up to work off software profiles you can have per game sensitivity and hot keys which is super handy.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I kinda had to concede... First time I saw a backlit keyboard, it was some dim red monstrosity and I made considerable fun of it and its owner. Later on, a friend whose opinion I valued showed me his 'gaming station'. He played late at night with just a lamp on rather than the main light, but neither black nor white keyboard was enough and eyestrain resulted. A backlit keyboard was the answer and getting older my own self, I tried one only to find my eyes loving me for it... especially once I'd set it to the green light!

The rest is just like cars - personal decoration, suping up, choices of upholstry, trim level, colours, etc.
    While I may have a PC that looks like Knight Rider, I wear dark, plain ties and drive a dull blue Škoda... horses, courses.
    I take the point about gaming with subdued lighting and IF backlit kb/mouse works well ... fair enough. I did think about that when typing my last answer. But it reinforces, for me why I don't like the glows. Because of some eye problems, and several lots of eye surgery, my eyes are especially sensitive to either too much contrast, or not enough. I couldn't game at all in the way you describe, because the glare from a screen, in the absence of modest ambient light, would have my eyes streaming and give me a screaming headache, in a matter of minutes. I need background lighting to be not too high, or I get a headache, but not too low or, yep, you guessed, I get a headache.

From an aesthetic point of view, I just don't like the bright, glowing effect, but even without that, from a medical point of view, for me, it hurts rather than helping.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information