Thread: Looking to build my first PC hardware advice needed

Thanks

Question Looking to build my first PC hardware advice needed

Hello Hexus forum thanks for the add it's great to be here.

As you guys can see from the title I have decided to build my own PC. What got me started was a friend I went to visit, He has one awesome PC that he built himself and he went on to tell me all the benefits of building your own, he also mentioned that he would help me build one if I did some research and got the parts myself.

I'm wanting a PC that can play any game with no issues, load up multiple technical analysis charts for my job and possibly a little video editing. I'm going to be needing your guys help to put a list together of pretty much everything I will need from the best mouse and keyboard to the best motherboard and graphics cards. for example, I know that this is a graphics card here https://www.for-sale.ie/geforce-nvidia-gtx but that's it, I don't know if it works well or if it will do what I want it to do. If you were building your ultimate PC let me know what you would do?

Really looking forward to some replies guys!!

Thanks
    Last edited by Kit_B; 18-09-2017 at 05:13 AM.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Re: Looking to build my first PC hardware advice needed

Whats the budget?

You need a monitor/TV? you want UHD gaming?

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

What budget are you on? I think for about £800 you can get a fairly high-end PC.

Thanks

I don't really have a budget I just want the best I can get. I do need a monitor but as said above I'm not too tech savvy so I need you to tell me what the best is or what would be best for me.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

There are two main groups of hardware in the top end of the space - your Threadripper and X299 style overkill (imho) workstation class products, and your Ryzen 7 / 8700k style high end consumer products. You will get better value generally from the high end consumer.

I would go with Ryzen 7, any of them really though if you're up for a bit of overclocking they will all go around the same speed so you might as well get a 1700.

I would get a x370 motherboard with the features you need, watch out for things like dual M.2 slots, wifi, gigabit Ethernet (1 or 2), enough sata ports (ideally 6+), enough expansion slots etc. You could go cheaper with B350 but you've suggested budget isn't really a problem so I would spend the extra £20-40 on an X370 just in case it turns out to have longer longevity.

For Ryzen, fast, compatible memory is important. Something like 3466Mhz (?) or up would be ideal. Spec for 2*8gb at a minimum for a new build.

If you absolutely have to buy Intel, don't buy now, wait for 8700k and 8600k coming in the next few weeks. 6 cores will be important soon, and while they are expensive they are not as reliant on fast memory (though that might change with extra 2 cores) and they have the best single threaded performance per clock (I.e. they're fast at single thread stuff). If you go this route you'll also want to overclock these.

Windows 10 will install without a key for testing. As for monitor, and graphics card, I think we need a little more information. What class of games will you be playing? Do you feel the need for higher refresh rates or freesync/Gsync? How much resolution and screen space would you like?

For storage, if you go with Intel, I would probably recommend a 2gb + hard drive + a large optane part for caching. This has been shown to produce near SSD levels of performance and it's a lot cheaper then a 2tb SSD. Another good option to look into is a M.2 Samsung 960 Evo, at least 512gb for a new build I would say. Your storage needs (space, speed req) need to be specified, please.

Take care
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Kit_B View Post
    I don't really have a budget I just want the best I can get. I do need a monitor but as said above I'm not too tech savvy so I need you to tell me what the best is or what would be best for me.
    If you want the best, I just went to https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configura...-gaming-pc-sli

I changed the CPU to Threadripper 1950X, left the graphics as a pair of 1080ti in SLI and it comes to just under £4000. That sounds about right for a top end rig. I think TBH at that sort of money paying someone to build it and guarantee it makes sense.

Thread Information