Thread: I am in the process of creating a PC build. What do you think of my partslist?

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Lightbulb I am in the process of creating a PC build. What do you think of my partslist?

So I'm kind of new to this, and I am about to build my first PC. What do you think of the parts list below? The total cost here is £925 (Inc Windows)

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

Gigabyte - GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

SanDisk - SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card

Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case

Silverstone - 500W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

Re: I am in the process of creating a PC build. What do you think of my partslist?

This is a pretty solid build. For Ryzen, I would recommend dual channel memory (if you can stretch to it) and certainly faster memory. You can't use 3000mhz with Ryzen, nor I think 3200, so you should look for an odd multiplier above 3000. Also make sure it's compatible with Ryzen - some older sticks (like mine) have trouble running at their rated speed.

If you are planning on gaming certainly get the extra fast memory, it makes a reasonable difference to FPS.

If you want to overclock, while the Wraith is ok you might want to budget for a better cooler, nothing too fancy just a 212 Evo or something should be a small improvement.
    You should overclock by the way - my Ryzen 7 1700 is stable at 4.05GHz. It's a good one, though

You are building Mini ITX so the power supply looks like a decent choice. I don't think you'll need more. I'm not certain though.

How much are you paying for your RX 580? Supply has been low. Amazon had a preorder for around £220 but they haven't filled orders yet and the price I believe has gone up. I wouldn't want to be paying much more. If you are really budget conscious you might look into an R9 390 - similar performance just using more power, and can probably be had for just over £100 on ebay (hopefully).

Good luck with your build. I'm sure other members will chime in soon.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Re: I am in the process of creating a PC build. What do you think of my partslist?

Thanks for the response. I will be using this PC for mostly gaming, and just general Microsoft Office stuff for work, so I'll definitely take into consideration the point about dual channel. I suppose I could go with 2 x 4 GB sticks, and upgrade later on if I need to.
    On the topic of overclocking, is it possible to do on ITX motherboards? I am a bit worried about temps for this build actually, and want to make sure it stays as cool as possible.
    I actually pre-ordered the exact same model 580 on Amazon. I contacted their customer support a couple of days ago and they said they should be in stock on October 15th or 16th. It coincides with the coffeelake release too, so if that looks good I could even swap to intel from Ryzen. Tbh, the 580's power usage worried me as I'm not sure if it will run hotter, and I can't find many tests online. I guess I will keep the order and wait for now, and if needed buy extra case fans later on.

I've found researching for this build quite difficult as I want silent as possible and good temps!

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I wouldn't waste your money on 4gb DDR4 sticks - they will have little resale value in the future. Go for the 2*8 upfront. Fair enough, you probably don't NEED 16gb for your uses just yet, but speccing a new PC with 8gb right now is just wrong imho

Overclocking is more than possible on a decent Mini ITX motherboard. You won't get quite as high (maybe) as a full ATX with more phases etc, but you should manage a decent clock. I understand your quietness concerns but you have a decent case (I have Define S) it would be a shame not to overclock - and you can always dial it back if it's too loud. My Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4ghz rarely goes over 50 degrees with a near silent NH-D15 - you won't fit such a big cooler but go for the biggest that will fit with decent quiet fans (ideally 2). 212 Evo might *not* fit - not sure.

I understand the 8700k will be upwards of £400 so I would stick to the Ryzen for now. Well done on getting that RX580 deal - you shouldn't have any problems with cooling and noise on that - just don't go for max clocks. Forget the R9 390 for cool and quiet operation

I think your fine. Good luck with your build.

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Ok thanks, I could get 16GB RAM in my budget if I get a 128 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD instead of the 480GB SSD, which might make more sense for the future. I actually heard the i5 8400 will be around the £270 mark anyway, which is significantly higher. I'm hoping Ryzen sees an even bigger price drop when coffeelake is released haha.
    Thanks, I'll make sure to post in the future when the build has progressed.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

I suggest you wait for more feedback before buying anything. Surprise d no one has chimed in yet, actually

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Yeah that sounds good to me - other opinions on my build would be appreciated too I'm sure over the course of the weekend other people will see my post too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Key View Post
    Thanks for the response. I will be using this PC for mostly gaming, and just general Microsoft Office stuff for work, so I'll definitely take into consideration the point about dual channel. I suppose I could go with 2 x 4 GB sticks, and upgrade later on if I need to.
    On the topic of overclocking, is it possible to do on ITX motherboards? I am a bit worried about temps for this build actually, and want to make sure it stays as cool as possible.
    On a big case like that with multiple 120/140mm case fans and 160mm CPU cooler it's just going to be the same as any other tower but without the extra expansion slots.

It's only small cases where there's a significant cooling/noise trade-off, Mini-ITX itself doesn't have much in the way of limitations.

I'd go for 2x4GB and a 480GB SSD personally. Memory is quicker to upgrade than drives. You definitely want dual channel though.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

A few things - Ryzen gains performance from faster RAM and single channel RAM will massively hobble performance. I would also consider the Corsair SFX 450W and avoid getting a Sandisk SSD.

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice, it's good to know the Nano S won't have any problems. I also heard first hand today from someone who owns the Nano S that there were not any heating issues. I guess if I start to see RAM related issues in the near future, I can just sell my 4GB sticks for cheap, and buy new 8GB sticks. If it lasts me a few years until my next PC, then great.

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    A few things - Ryzen gains performance from faster RAM and single channel RAM will massively hobble performance. I would also consider the Corsair SFX 450W and avoid getting a Sandisk SSD.
    Thanks for your input. I did actually really like the look of the corsair SF450, but apparently the cables aren't quite long enough for the case, whereas they are on the silverstone PSU, if you pull some in front of the GPU ( I won't be having a case window so it doesn't matter to me).

Key
    Registered+
    Thanks

Another question I have thought of (I'm not sure how easily this will be seen, but I didn't want to make a new post), but how much clearance would a PC need behind it, if the sides were completely restricted?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Key View Post
    Another question I have thought of (I'm not sure how easily this will be seen, but I didn't want to make a new post), but how much clearance would a PC need behind it, if the sides were completely restricted?
    Depends on the case and it's airflow patterns.

For something with a rear-facing fan like the one mentioned above I'd allow a few centimeters.

Thanks
    • NitrousX's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi X99 Xpower Gaming Titanium
      • CPU:
      • i7 5930k 4.3Ghz w/EKWB Supremacy Evo
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LED 2666mhz 32GB DDR4 4x 8GB sticks
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 960 Evo 1TB, HGST 5TB Deskstar, Seagate Barracuda XT 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FE w/FE EKWB Waterblock
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750W GS
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • Utility Warehouse 10mpbs

That looks like a decent build, its similar to build quotes that I have made myself. Like others have said go dual channel it makes such a difference especially high memory speeds. If your on a budget get the fastest memory you can without leds there just cosmetic. Let us know how you get on

Thread Information