Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please advise on upgrade spec.

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Ultra boards can **currently also be modded to full SLI boards by changing a jumper on the nb package.

** nvidia say they are going to find a way to stop this on future boards, wont affect current ones.
    Ultra board with two PCIE slot, cause no point modding if you have no where to plgu the other card in. (DFI NF4U)

For the modding part, it's to bridge two "things" (can't remeber what's it's called) on the chipset. I think nVidia says it will lasercut the connection so no more modding

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bujinkan-ka
    As for the matter of RAM...............
    using your original 2*256's with another 2*256's may pose 2 problems, some motherboards dont have 4 slots for ram, check the one you want first, there's a good chance it does, but some dont. and also it will be slower than using 2*512's as they will works more efficiently in dual channel mode with a socket 939 processor

hope thats a help

Thanks
    I've been taking a look at some of the SLI DFI motherboards and given DFI's current track record, I'm seriously thinking of going for this one.

DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
    - £134.95 -

http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/su...ode=MOBDFISLID

What do you think folks ?

Thanks again for the help.

Edit : My apologies for posting the link and details of the non-SLI version.
    Blame the red wine.
    Last edited by bujinkan-ka; 18-02-2005 at 10:34 PM.
    - Ghetto rigging is an unrecognised form of art -

Thanks
    ALL dfi nf4 boards, ALL of the different versions, they ALL have the same pcb. The ultra does have two 16xPCI-EX [b]sized[b] slots - although obviosly the second one cannot run at 16x (max 8x, in SLI or 2x in ultra)
    A great thing about ultra in dual mode is that you stillcan use the 1x slot above it - giving you 2 pci-ex normal slots + 2 gfx ones. In SLI mode you can only use 3 slots total (theres only 20 lanes, 8 + 8 + 4)

As for modding.. well if you dont bother, you can still use the second slot without modding...

Unless your definalty getting 2x SLI compatable gfx cards, id suggest save your money and get the ultra. its almost exactly the same product.

As for DFI, well they are the only skt 939 manufacturer that currently has the staff with the skill and ability to compleatly abandon the refernce design to make it a lot better. The layout as you can see is a LOT differnt. It has more bios andhardware options than any other and performance should be perfect.

Not only that, the other features are great:

Diagnostic leds - so you know why it doesnt boot first time (it helped me!!!)

biosthingy - has backup of bios and lets you save 4 custom settings.

PCB mounted switches so you can test it outside the pc case first without fidling with wires. Helpfull but probably not enough to sway you from another board if youve already made up your mind...

Every chip that gets hot is also adequatly heatsinked..

Now the best bit, they seem to have much better support. They have there own forums dedicated to helping everyone as much as possible, which also includes bios modifing.

So technically this is the most advanced nf4 board, with the most features and no known issues. I think youd be stupid not to buy it
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 19-02-2005 at 02:24 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information