Thread: Newbie Question

Thanks

Newbie Question

Hi i have an sb61g4 which i bought off ebay , question i have is that when i fitted the cpu i noticed that the handle on the zif socket has had the clip knocked off so the lever does'nt lock although it goes all the way down ok so will the pressure of the ice pipe be enough to keep it all together ok . As of now i'm still waiting for the memory to arrive but with the cpu in the machine lights up ok and the power button will turn off if held for 4 secs which i don't think it did before fitting the cpu . Also i get no beeps from the machine but could'nt see any type of speaker on the board or is there one somewhere i'm missing ? .

Thanx for your replies

Andy Vee

Thanks
    I don't think its going to do anything without memory.

Almost all boards have a beep maker. You might want to look for the manual for that machine. You could try contacting Shuttle.

As to if the lever not locking will be a problem, I am not sure, but I can guaranty that CPU is not coming out of there once the ICE is mounted. However that may be, it may not provide good contact for the CPU to the socket. The lever is attached to a middle plate in the socket with holes that match the stationary plates. When you move the lever, the plate moves and the holes move slightly out of alignment with the holes in the stationary plates, gripping the pins of the CPU. If the lever isn't locked down, you may not get good contact between the CPU and the socket and it may not work.
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5
    AMD 65 3500+ . 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect 2.5 CAS
    2x120 GB Samsung SATA . Plextor 712A
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT oc . Dell 2001FP

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thanks
    I've owned 2 Shuttles so far (SN85 & SN95) and neither have an onboard speaker, and so can't bleep.

If it powers up without the memory, it's a good start, but the only way of telling whether it really is ok, will be when you can boot the system with a ful compliment of components.

As for the ICE system, it is fairly well held down, and I can't forsee any real problems in having that secure your CPU.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinx
    I've owned 2 Shuttles so far (SN85 & SN95) and neither have an onboard speaker, and so can't bleep.

If it powers up without the memory, it's a good start, but the only way of telling whether it really is ok, will be when you can boot the system with a ful compliment of components.

As for the ICE system, it is fairly well held down, and I can't forsee any real problems in having that secure your CPU.

Update , syetm is now up n running fine , its running 2.8p4 with 1gb ram ( 2*512 ) , as a footnote when i initially got it running it was very unstable , bsods and everything but after applying the latest firmware its been very stable and very quiet ;-) . If anyone has bothered to oc theirs can you let me know how much you got out of it and if it was worth doing ( ie you can actually notice the difference while using the machine , not just benchmarking )

Thanx

Andy Vee

Thread Information