Thread: Newbie! =]

Thanks

Newbie! =]

Hey guys.

Built my PC about 4 years ago now. Hadn't upgraded it since. Lost interest in PC's a bit and was just happy I could surf the web, download stuff, chat on MSN and play the odd CS session.

However, 2 weeks ago my PSU went pop!

Not opened my PC case for about 2 years, oh my god, dust galore!!!!

Anyway, got an old 175w PSU from an old PC in the loft. Instead of buying a new 350w PSU I've decided to build a new system.

From what info I've gathered over last few days, going to go with a shuttle, the black one which supports the AMD 754 processor, an AMD 3400+ OEM processor, 2 sticks of 512 pc3200 mem, Maxtor 120gig HDD, Radeon 9800 pro or A.N. Other, DVD RW combi drive.

Basically looking for feedback on firstly, how can the Shuttle PSU's power the newer technology, aren't they 250w PSU's???

Also, what gfx card to get for 100-150 quid that will play ALL the latest games on high settings and then some. Also what DVD RW combi drive to get. They all seem to have dropped in price over the last 18 months, wondering what to avoid.

I'm sticking with my old soundcard, Fortissimo 2, old card but I really like it.

Also looking at the Agneo 17" TFT monitor, it's about 150 quid, looks really modern. People I've spoken to says it's not that good, but from what I can see has a pretty decent spec.

Be happy for any feedback! Didn't go for the 939 processor as at the moment for the money I can't justify it. I'm not into big 3dmark test results or to calculate rocket science. Just want reputable power which will play the latest games. =]

Thanks
    • chriswood_7's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M2NE SLi
      • CPU:
      • AMD X2 5200+
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 120GB + 1x 320GB Seagate IDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB BFG 8800GT OC2
      • PSU:
      • 680W Hiper PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano w/ Window
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" HPF50s
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin Media
    Hey mate

If your going AMD64 stick with 939, its newer technology and supports on die memory controller, and dual channel capabilities which is quicker than normal single channel. This means your computer will last much longer and for the price difference between sky 754 and 939 is minimal. If your running 2 sticks of 512 pc3200 RAM it would make sense to go for this. Why you going to a shuttle, any particular reason ie to save space?

I think for a shuttle you will need a low profile 9800 Pro, which are quite expensive if you can find one. Why not build a normal desktop PC with a decent case liek a coolermaster cavalier ??

Avoid the older cards such as 9700 or Ti4200 etc alot of the newer cards such as 6600GT and X800 cards are far superior to these older cards and will last longer. A lot of people are banging on about PCI-E cards but personally id stick with AGP (we know it works, and it works well)

You will need a good powerful PSU too mate to run most of the stuff in that rig. 9800 Pros are power hungry and on a 350W PSU you might suffer crashes or shut downs (especially with an AMD64)

How much exactly are you looking to spend, ill give ya a hand if you add me to MSN

Chris

Thanks
    Cheers Chris.

Well, I've got a Lian Li atm, think it's PC70??? The smaller one, it's great, looks good etc.

Just love the looks and concept of the Shuttle. Looks great, space saving, stick it on my desk, just find them sexy! =] Especially with that Agneo monitor, would look good together IMO.

Well reason for the 754 processor is well im going for a 3400+ OEM which from Aria is pretty cheap. The 939 3400+ is MORE expensive and can't see it being much better. Plus the Shuttle 939 newer barebones system is like 100 quid more. Can't justify it.

Afterall the fastest 754 they will release will be a 3800+ will it? Can't see myself wanting more CPU speed than these chips for a while yet! I'm using an 1800+ XP and don't find any problems with it at all!

I've always thought 2 sticks were better than 1 as they can both run at the same time opening more channels for the RAM. If this logic is correct then I would only get 1 stick of 1 GB if I was using 2 GB of ram - overkill IMO.

Not sure what GPU I'm going to get. Still REALLY undecided.

I don't wanna be spending more than 7-800 quid.

Thanks
    • chriswood_7's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M2NE SLi
      • CPU:
      • AMD X2 5200+
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 1x 120GB + 1x 320GB Seagate IDE
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB BFG 8800GT OC2
      • PSU:
      • 680W Hiper PSU
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Soprano w/ Window
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" HPF50s
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Virgin Media
    Hey again mate

The reason why the 939 is more expensive is pretty much becuase its newer technology, and it will last longer. Socket 754 will become the base for semprons, ie cheap as chips chips LOL

I dont think they will sell many athlons (512kb cache) now 939 is out once semprons run the show. 2 sticks may run slightly faster, but remember there still only running in single channel mode and you wont get any more than normal 64bit operation.

My advice would be, spend the little bit extra on the CPU, mobo and GFX card and you wont be disappointed. Otherwise make sure you buy a decent 754 mobo and an athlon chip thats gonna last a good few years, cause your noext 754 upgreade will probably be a sempron if so...

Chris

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Quote Originally Posted by ytrebil
    Also, what gfx card to get for 100-150 quid that will play ALL the latest games on high settings and then some.
    There is no such card. If you want max settings you'll have to pay for a high powered card (and you're talking to high side of 250 there). Also you wouldn't be able to fit that in a shuttle.

Quote Originally Posted by chriswood_7
    You will need a good powerful PSU too mate to run most of the stuff in that rig. 9800 Pros are power hungry and on a 350W PSU you might suffer crashes or shut downs (especially with an AMD64)
    350W is more than enough if it's a quality PSU. A64s don't use more power than XPs really, CPU power consumption has been pretty flat for years. 9800 Pro isn't that power hungry, you're looking at 60-80W maybe. There are very few computers you can't run off a 350W PSU, people just like to go berzerk and buy an incredibly overspecced PSU for bragging rights or because they don't know any better. If you're not running SLI there's no need for anything over 350W.

Thanks
    Want a fair priced graphics card then which is capable of producing graphics which can cater for the latest flurry of power hungry games. What is better than a 9800? What's the next step? Also what version of 9800 is the better?

As for Shuttles, I was certain they have prebuilt silent 250w PSU's. So I'm guessing the Mobo's Shuttle use are very power efficient.

Thanks
    the 250watt one they use in the newer shuttles is fine, ive got plently of mates that run them with 6800/6800gt/9700pro cards and 939 chips and 2*512 sticks in them and then run happy as larry even after long lan sessions

ps 6600gt is a great card for £120-150

Thanks
    So 6600gt for a budget card under 150 quid?

Think that may be the one cheers Noah. Better than a Rad 9800?

Thread Information