Thread: New build advice

Thanks

New build advice

It's been a while since I last built a PC, so thought I'd join this forum to seek some advice before I dive right in. I currently have an iMac and several laptops used primarily for photo editing and work. However, I'm looking to get back into a little bit of gaming on PC and I fancy self building rather than buying anything already built.

I'm likely to play games such as:

• Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    • Football Manager
    • Rocket League
    • Civilisation

I'll also be using the machine for photo editing and remote working and will likely be looking for a dual screen set-up.

I'd like to try and keep the build relatively energy efficient and quiet, whilst not going overboard on cost. As I said I'e been out of the loop for a while so not that clear on what costs might be expected, however would be interested in thougths about sensible components for c. £4-500 build or a c. £6-800 build.

My initial thinking is to look at something like the core i5-8400 combined with 8GB of RAM, a GT1030 etc. However, not sure:

1. Whether the GT1030 will be sufficient for the type of games mentioned
    2. If the CPU is sensible or overkill
    3. Energy efficiency and ways to keep noise down
    4. Other key components

Grateful for any input.
    Cheers
    Matt

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: New build advice

A few questions:
    1.)Does a copy of Windows need to be included?
    2.)Do you need a monitor,keyboard and mouse??
    3.)Do you intend to mod Skyrim??
    4.)Do you intend to play Fallout 4 and do you intend to mod it??
    5.)What resolution do you want to run the games at??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    A few questions:
    1.)Does a copy of Windows need to be included?
    2.)Do you need a monitor,keyboard and mouse??
    3.)Do you intend to mod Skyrim??
    4.)Do you intend to play Fallout 4 and do you intend to mod it??
    5.)What resolution do you want to run the games at??
    No need to include price of Windows as I have a licence ready for use, similarly for keyboard and mouse but need to allow for one monitor.

No immediate plans to mod Skyrim, but would like to have the option to. Don't think I'm likely to play Fallout 4 though.

In terms of resolution I guess ideally I'd like to run at 1920 x 1080 unless that's unachievable without spending a fortune!

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattjg01 View Post
    1. Whether the GT1030 will be sufficient for the type of games mentioned
    2. If the CPU is sensible or overkill
    3. Energy efficiency and ways to keep noise down
    4. Other key components
    Should barely play Civ VI with resolution and detail turned down: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...pu,5467-7.html

For game playing you ideally want to spend less on the CPU and more on the GPU. Sadly GPUs are really expensive right now.

If you are happy at low settings (some people are, some aren't) then a Ryzen 2400g gives you most of the performance of a 1030 in the integrated graphics to keep costs down. Otherwise I think the 1030 is quite a lot of money to spend on something that probably won't last you, better to aim for a GTX 1050 for a bit more money.

Edit: As for noise, it is getting hard to find bad efficiency components these days. Overclocking increases power use and lots of graphics cards are factory overclock. Go for the biggest fans you can fit, then they won't have to spin so fast and you can get away with far fewer of them,
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 05-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post

For game playing you ideally want to spend less on the CPU and more on the GPU. Sadly GPUs are really expensive right now.

If you are happy at low settings (some people are, some aren't) then a Ryzen 2400g gives you most of the performance of a 1030 in the integrated graphics to keep costs down. Otherwise I think the 1030 is quite a lot of money to spend on something that probably won't last you, better to aim for a GTX 1050 for a bit more money.

Edit: As for noise, it is getting hard to find bad efficiency components these days. Overclocking increases power use and lots of graphics cards are factory overclock. Go for the biggest fans you can fit, then they won't have to spin so fast and you can get away with far fewer of them,
    Many thanks. I hadn't looked at an of the AMD CPUs as had the impression they are someway behind Intel. If I instead went for a GTX1050 would it be worth getting the Intel CPU over the AMD?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Many thanks. I hadn't looked at an of the AMD CPUs as had the impression they are someway behind Intel. If I instead went for a GTX1050 would it be worth getting the Intel CPU over the AMD?
    In a parallel universe where you have infinite money, yes

AMD equivalent to the i5 8400 would be the 1600X which is about a fiver more expensive but the motherboards are generally cheaper so an AMD rig would probably be a bit cheaper. If you compare the performance here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...5_8400/12.html

you can see that either platform is quite playable, and that is with a £700 GTX1080 graphics card which isn't the market you are in. With a lower end gpu, even an i3 should be enough to max out the graphics card.

AMD's next set of CPUs are about to be released, so CPU prices are quite good atm.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

No need to include price of Windows as I have a licence ready for use, similarly for keyboard and mouse but need to allow for one monitor.

No immediate plans to mod Skyrim, but would like to have the option to. Don't think I'm likely to play Fallout 4 though.

In terms of resolution I guess ideally I'd like to run at 1920 x 1080 unless that's unachievable without spending a fortune!
    Its more the engine Bethesda uses in Fallout 4 seems to be much better optimised for Intel CPUs currently and it definitely shows up if you start modding,or actually start building settlements in the game and minimums are better on newer Intel CPUs and it also loves SSDs. Skyrim:Special Edition uses the same engine as Fallout 4 but since it does not have the same level of complexity in terms of NPC numbers,and no settlement building the CPU limitations do not show up as much luckily AFAIK,and it even seems to run better off an HDD too.

Now regarding whether you should go for AMD or Intel this are the pros and cons of each currently:
    1.)Better single threaded performance in games and applications=Intel
    2.)Better multi-threaded performance in games and applications=AMD
    3.)Longer platform support for the next few years=AMD. They have said AM4 will be current for the next few years which means either there is a greater chance of you being able to upgrade to a better CPU down the line on the same motherboard, or if your motherboard goes a greater chance of finding a replacement
    4.)Cheaper motherboards and/or features at a lower price=AMD
    5.)Better stock cooler=AMD
    6.)Better RAM compatability= Intel

Now as mentioned before AMD is releasing their updated Ryzen 2000 series this month,but looking at the noise even the Ryzen 5 2600 should be closer to £180 to £200 AFAIK. You can get a Ryzen 5 1600 for £140 or a Core i5 8400 for £150.

IMHO, if you intend to get a dGPU I don't think its worth going any lower as both CPUs should be a solid base for the next few years and you are not saving much going with a cheaper model,but losing quite a few cores and threads in the process. I would also be looking at a GTX1050 or RX560 as a minimum if possible,but ideally something like a GTX1050TI 4GB. I had a GTX960 4GB and RX470 4GB before my current GTX1080 8GB,and the GTX1050TI 4GB and GTX960 4GB are quite similar overall in performance.

OTH,if you are going the budget way,then I would not bother with the GT1030 and look at the Ryzen 3 2200G or the Ryzen 5 2400G instead.

Edit!!

I tested the latest version of Skyrim with some mods last year on an IB Xeon E3/Core i7 and a GTX1080 at qHD:

https://forums.hexus.net/reader-revi...ml#post3781936

Remember I was running FRAPs at the same time which causes a higher than average CPU load. Hence any recent Intel CPU or a Ryzen one should do the job and should give some leeway for modding.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 05-04-2018 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks

Thanks both. I think I'm going to look at a i5-8400 and GTX1050 combo and see what else I can put together without breaking the bank.

Thread Information