Thread: Neo 2 Plat + AMD64 3200 + PC2700

Poiny Member
    Thanks

Question Neo 2 Plat + AMD64 3200 + PC2700

Hi, I am thinking of buying a Neo 2 Platinum board and a AMD64 3200+ chip for it, I am going to use my current 1GB of PC2700 RAM.....
    I have NOT installed a M'board + CPU from scratch before - although I can do everything else!

Question is:

1) Will all this work OK togeather...

and....

2) Is it just a simple case of sticking in the board in the case, putting the chip/heatsink/fan on and fireing it up???
    Will I need to alter jumper settings? BIOS? etc etc.... how hard will it be to do I guess is what I'm saying?
    I dont want to try this and fry everything!!!!

Advice on this would be appreciated!!

Thanks.

Thanks
    I'm not 100% if your RAM will work with the 3200+. It has a 200fsb, and is multiplier locked, so you may be forced to overclock your memory to PC3200 speed, if it cant take that, it wont run.

As for putting it together, first thing you want to do is put the chip and cooler on the board before you put it in the case. The screw it in, attach all leads, and before you power up for the first time clear the CMOS.
    Just remember to have your hand on the power cord in the PSU just in case it goes titsup

Thanks
    they should work together as long as they are both the same socket (ie 939 i think for plat 2).

It should be just a question of of diconnecting everything from your old mobo, putting your cpu in the new mobo, fixing the new mobo in place and connecting everything back. you will have to look at a few things in the bios, such as the order of your hard drives and optical drives (master/slave settings) and if you have sata HD then there could be a question of loading sata drivers before booting and setting up raid or not( but i think that is only if your trying to install windows a SATA HD and not if windows is already installed).

Its nothing complicated at all.
    If you do some reading up on hexus or tomshardware and read your mobo's manual it shouldn't take too long and everything should go smoothly.

ANd dont forget thermal paste when u put cpu in

Good luck.
    Last edited by Kebab; 23-02-2005 at 03:19 PM.
    Sky rockets in flight... Afternoon delight

SCAN Computers Pete the Painter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poindextermatic
    Hi, I am thinking of buying a Neo 2 Platinum board and a AMD64 3200+ chip for it, I am going to use my current 1GB of PC2700 RAM.....
    I have NOT installed a M'board + CPU from scratch before - although I can do everything else!

Question is:

1) Will all this work OK togeather...

and....

2) Is it just a simple case of sticking in the board in the case, putting the chip/heatsink/fan on and fireing it up???
    Will I need to alter jumper settings? BIOS? etc etc.... how hard will it be to do I guess is what I'm saying?
    I dont want to try this and fry everything!!!!

Advice on this would be appreciated!!

Thanks.
    That combo should be fine. I have the same but its got 3200 memory in atm. TBH I was just about to put my Neo2 Platinum WiFi edition with 3500 Newcastle onto ebay if your interested. Reason for sale is that I have just purcahsed a Asus NF4 SLi setup.

If your interested PM me.

Poiny Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer
    That combo should be fine. I have the same but its got 3200 memory in atm. TBH I was just about to put my Neo2 Platinum WiFi edition with 3500 Newcastle onto ebay if your interested. Reason for sale is that I have just purcahsed a Asus NF4 SLi setup.

If your interested PM me.
    Yeah I would be interested - post a few web links for the board and chip so I can check out the spec etc.... cheers.

SCAN Computers Pete the Painter's Avatar
    Thanks
    Sent you the details via PM

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have the board and a 3000 in with 3200 ram...it goes like a rocket compared to my last one (which was a dell P3 500 )