Thread: PSU mod question.

Thanks

PSU mod question.

quck question. If i were to buy a themaltake 420 psu, would i be able to take the fans out and put some led ones in there? ( i.e. a cheap antec trueblue look alike )

Thanks
    Not sure about the thermaltake, but most PSUs use two-pin connectors compatible with three-pin motherboard fan headers, so any three-pin fan should work. You'd have to check the depth of the fans to make sure there's enough room in the PSU though.

Banned
    Thanks
    So in theory it should be quite easy to use different fans then? Do note that there are large voltages, some very risidual so be VERY careful in there. Also note that the existing fans are designed esp for that PSU and to cope with it's heat buildup, be careful what you put in there. Finally you obviously void your warranty so be prepared if you either mess it up or it fails even due to something unrelated.

Thanks
    It's very easy to use different fans. The existing fans aren't designed especially at all: they're all off-the-shelf parts that the PSU manufacturers will buy in bulk. The fans will always be over-specified and especially in the cheaper PSUs they'll bung in the cheapest fans they can get their hands on. So long as you use a fan above 25cfm I shouldn't see you having much trouble.

As for opening the PSU, well, don't touch any components while you're working on it. A good way to help remove as much residual voltage as possible is to unplug the psu from the wall socket then press the power button on your case a few times. This will slightly move the fans and drain most of the power from the caps.

Of course you void your warranty, but if the unit fails within the warranty period invariably you can replace the fans with the originals and there will be no way of telling the PSU was modded, so there's an incentive for doing a neat job

Thanks
    Originally posted by Zathras

Of course you void your warranty, but if the unit fails within the warranty period invariably you can replace the fans with the originals and there will be no way of telling the PSU was modded, so there's an incentive for doing a neat job
    Is there an approved hexus method for removing those bliddy "warranty void if removed" stickers in a way in which you can put them back on afterwards?

Thanks
    Generally heating it up slightly often helps, plus you could try steaming it if desperate but you'd have to leave the PSU to completely dry out afterwards to remove any chance of condensation. I've never found them both difficult to remove and over an opening in the PSU, but maybe I've been lucky.

Thread Information