Thread: CWT PSU's

fingerbangin' your cat
    Thanks

CWT PSU's

sorry if this is the wrong place, but wasn't sure - not really after a bargfain as such and thought this might get more coverage here ....

ive read loads of threads concerning the dirty Q-Tec's and how 'bang for buck' CWT's are great (rebadged antecs perhaps?) ...

so everyone says these are available from www.scan.co.uk - but ive looked allover their site and can't find em anywhere - am i being retarded or have they died a death just as my current psu has done the same - doh!

therefore if anyone could either point me in the direction of said psu's on the scan site, or any other uk supplier, i would be very grateful

cheers all
    d

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    I was one of the people shouting about these a while ago - I was as sure as you can get that CWT were the people making PSUs for Antec... But I have recently had a fair few of them die on me. Even ones at work that were plugged into APC UPS's and so should not have had any issues with the AC input. Having said that all the ones that did die did not take ANY of the other PC components with them or set the fire alarms off so they certainly are not of Q-Tec 'quality'... I'm wondering if they used cheaper components than the Antec equivalents though... (BTW - there's a Scan customer support forum if you want to ask direct)

Thanks
    malfunction - have you retested them since? usually psus dont die.. but instead trip a time-resettable fuse inside.. and will work again after a about a week.. Ive had a few old atx psus do that esp after shorts..

CWT are more budget versions of the antec. Corners are cut mainly in asphetics (sp?) but also the -5v rail is not included (not really needed anyway..anything that used to use it can use -12 instead).

CWTs however, are not the best psu for overclockers, because the 12v rail is not split into two seperate rails (one for cpu only using p4 connector, other for hdd's andstuff).
    Apart from that its quite good.. but also its VERYmessy inside... no space for anything... but it is resonably quiet..

I would get one for your normal above average gaming system.. not for big overclocking though...
    They shouldnt die, they have all the safety features and as-good components as antec afaik.

I would suggest not to buy from scan if these aint instock.. Pre-ordering with them can be a pita.

Also they might be branded "medion" oin the scan site.. I think thats the company onthe box.. which I think owns CWT...

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    malfunction - have you retested them since? usually psus dont die.. but instead trip a time-resettable fuse inside.. and will work again after a about a week.. Ive had a few old atx psus do that esp after shorts..

CWT are more budget versions of the antec. Corners are cut mainly in asphetics (sp?) but also the -5v rail is not included (not really needed anyway..anything that used to use it can use -12 instead).

CWTs however, are not the best psu for overclockers, because the 12v rail is not split into two seperate rails (one for cpu only using p4 connector, other for hdd's andstuff).
    Apart from that its quite good.. but also its VERYmessy inside... no space for anything... but it is resonably quiet..

I would get one for your normal above average gaming system.. not for big overclocking though...
    They shouldnt die, they have all the safety features and as-good components as antec afaik.

I would suggest not to buy from scan if these aint instock.. Pre-ordering with them can be a pita.

Also they might be branded "medion" oin the scan site.. I think thats the company onthe box.. which I think owns CWT...
    When the PSU I used at home died I opened it up to see that one of the caps had leaked - so I'm pretty sure it was dead. I didn't have any surge protection at home at the time and am pretty sure the CRAP electricity supply on my estate was the cause (since then I've brought home an old UPS from work which seems to notice surges and drops around twice a day)... The electricity company spent ages last year replacing a load of underground cables but before that we used to have a powercut about once every other month and even had some of those ceramic donut things at the local substation blow up (now that was LOUD)...

The 4 PSUs in the office (out of 8) that died were all connected to big rack mount APC UPS's (I forget the exact model but serious kit)... When the PSUs blew - all on separate occasions - they also tripped out the UPS they were connected to (which suprised me somewhat). Now I have heard of stuff having trip switch style things in them before but thought they came back in a matter of minutes? To be honest it doesn't matter for work as I've since replaced them (with the only decent PSUs I could find on Tott Court Road - Tagans 480s @ £70 a pop!)... The dead ones have been thrown out... 1 of them blew the fuse in a power cable when I tried it to power it again out of the case but the others just refused to power up so maybe they were as you say just tripped... For what it's worth it's put me off but I totally appreciate the 2nd opinion and might test out some of the others (and to help out the original poster if I've made you worry - another good affordable brand are FSP - which komplett stock)

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    Scan no longer sell the CWT ones

TDK
    Thanks
    They were the old cwt models atx 1.3, cwt have many new model which are atx 2.0 compatible and have beefy dual 12v rails. I dont think scan import them anymore.

Their website is http://www.cwteu.com/cms/156 but its in german

notice how their new models use 12cm fans and have similar specs to the neopower

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    I have a CWT and its great no problems.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    • DeludedGuy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte H87M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4440
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 250GB Samsung 840 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte R9 270 OC 2GB
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet Pure Power L8 600w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • 75Mb BT Infinity
    Got a CWT myself, great rails, but not the most quite thing out there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|

There were different levels of CWT that Scan stocked (similar to Smartpower/True Power on Antec) which determined whether or not it had separate rails e.g. the 550W had separate rails but the 430W didn't iirc.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    • Allen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VIII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 6600K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4-3000
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 (OS) + 2 x 512GB Samsung 960 EVO in RAID 0 (Games)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1080 Ti OC
      • PSU:
      • XFX P1-650X-NLG9 XXX 650W Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node 804
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" BenQ XL2730Z + 23" Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 200Mbps
    I have a 450W CWT and to say they not great for overclocking is border line IMO. I've had my RAM at 240MHz, CPU at around 2500MHz and 6800GT overclocked to 6800U speeds whilst also having the usual extra installed and it ran perfectly for months. Still have the same setup but not quite so overclocked now (as I prefer the quitness) and it's still running, very quietly and very stable!

Thread Information