Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motherboard prob ?

jch
    Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Motherboard prob ?

Thanks for that seems to be pretty much what I am experiencing. I don't have any additional LEDs, so I don't think it's the screw, but I strongly feel that the board is a bit flaky.

Just had any enjoyable hour fiddling again, stuck the old PSU back - no dice, took out a ram module, boots!

One time - then the led again.

I am not going to do anymore troubleshooting, I will wait for a response from Scan, think I'm going to have to get a new mobo, assume Asus are OK ?

Thanks for the help

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by jch View Post
    Thanks for that seems to be pretty much what I am experiencing. I don't have any additional LEDs, so I don't think it's the screw, but I strongly feel that the board is a bit flaky.

Just had any enjoyable hour fiddling again, stuck the old PSU back - no dice, took out a ram module, boots!

One time - then the led again.

I am not going to do anymore troubleshooting, I will wait for a response from Scan, think I'm going to have to get a new mobo, assume Asus are OK ?

Thanks for the help
    Every brand have good and bad boards. Sadly it's not that simple. Take out that bottom screw like the guy in the video. any joy?

jch
    Registered+
    Thanks

I haven't yet, (need a break from it).

I have built out of case however, and I had the same prob. Going to wait to see if I have any joy getting a refund, it's unlikely but I did report this with a couple of weeks of receipt - it's new mobo either way.

Also think it may be a good idea to try and limit use, shouldn't happen but I don't want to risk the chip if something is shorting.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Suggest attempting to correlate room temperature to the fault.

Often intermittent issues such as these are a result of a hairline crack in a copper line, sealing at warmer temperatures (so when the system boots properly, heat is produced and thus it remains stable) and parting at lower temps leading to faults.

If you're unsure then I'd do something heinous - I'd point a fan heater at your case's intake fans, let it warm up and see what happens. Tracking and repairing a fault such as this is almost impossible and not worth it as PCBs are usually multilayered these days. Best you can do is RMA the suspected part.

jch
    Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks, I booted it again two from cold, OK - third, case LEDs on debug light back. I've contacted Scan requested another RMA, just got to hope it shows up, didn't last time.

Thanks

Wanted to stop by and update the thread.

TLDR - It was the motherboard. if you're reading this and have a B450/350 MSI and have similar symptoms save yourself time/stress and replace the mobo, (I've seen several reports on the web similar to the youtube video above)

full story :

Want happened, is that the RMA was refused damage to the motherboard, I've lost count of the amount of times that I've stripped the machine apart - and for the last return I broke one of the usb header pins, didn't even notice doing it. In fairness to Scan, they paid for the board to be repaired and tested by MSI (was told that they always test and that should pick up on any other issues).

At this point, I decided to bite the bullet and swallow the cost of a new, non-MSI board, went for a Gigabyte Aorus pro. It's been running now for over a month, and no repeat of any of the previous symptoms. Pity that the probs with the first board (currently it's a paperweight, can't go through another rebuild to see if it's actually working or not) weren't picked up on the first RMA, but the machine works now and sound is a *lot* better.

Thanks to all on this thread for advice/help.

7. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (21-02-2019)

Thread Information