Thread: Serious Corruption With Hard drive/s A8n-sli deluxe

Thanks

Serious Corruption With Hard drive/s A8n-sli deluxe

Right guyz I'm just about running outa things to try here.
    Got an A8n-sli deuxe board so I am using my old maxtor ata hard drives from me old system and thought that they would be ok. Wrong... I've had my trusty old 40g maxtor for 2 months off of the end of send back date I puts it in the asus setup then vwwoooomphhhh like a rat out of an aquaduct it corrupts so I run the maxtor hard drive checking software and it says the now ohhh so familiar words THIS DRIVE IS FAILING...doh, ok its an old drive, I think so I rma it to maxtor and they send me a nice new 60 gig drive for replacement, nice I thinks, so in it goes I load everthing up again then two days later,bugger, same thing happens again. I've also had a secondary (and a thirdary) drive with loadsa important stuff on ( Naked pictures of Camila Parker Bowles and that hottie from the film 50 first dates......thats it Alexa) you know reeeeaally important stuff, last night went to access it and windows reports that the drive isn't formatted, NOT FORMATTED I'VE GOT SEVERAL SERIES OF DIC AND DOM INDA BUNGALOW TO WATCH ON THAT DRIVE GRRRRRR.

To cut a long thingy short I'm on my 3rd drive and the forth started losing data late last night so its failing again. I have a sata deskstar on primary now and it runs fine but the maxtors keep getting corrupted HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!! I know there are issues with this board and the maxtor but I could only find issues with the bios losing them not killin them.

I've cut alot of hardware from my setup to see if there is an issue with power but no, its still doing it. Run memtest new 1gig corsair twinx ok, tested akaska paxpower 480w with the multi within limits, only one gt6600 leadtek card and tried all bioses up to 1006

Any suggestions or workarounds greatly appreciated cos I'm sick of wondering if my extensive collection of photos depicting the nameplates of round abouts in Milton Keynes will be accessible or not!!!!
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

seen, but not often heard
    Thanks
    have you tried turning off write caching on the HDD -

go into my computer, right click on HDD, go into properties, go to the hardware tab, select the HDD in question, go into properties and, depending on what version of windows, go into disk properties or policies. take out the tick in 'enable disk caching'

i dunno if this will solve the problem, but it should reduce the HDD becoming corrupted
    The Karl Pilkington of Hexus

System Suspect
    Thanks
    I'm not sure the write caching will help tbh..I've been running drives for years with write caching on and it's never been an issue, HD's are designed and built with write caching an essential part..However maxtor drives aren't the most realiable, I certainly would never purchase one because I've heard bad realiability story's preiously. I would think it really unlikely that the controller on your Asus would be the cause of these failures, honestly I'd get your money back if you can and buy something with known realiability like seagate, samsung, wester digital or another deskstar as I've found them to be very realiable. If after that you still get problems then maybe it's be worth thinking about the main board

If you type maxtor + fail into google you'll see what I mean
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...%2B+fail&meta=
    Last edited by Olly1234; 14-03-2005 at 01:09 PM.

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Whoops. I guess that 300gb OneTouchII Drive was a bad idea then.
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    Cheers guyz for the replies, it is rather funny that i've had three of these drives in my other p4 machine from between 6 months and nearly 3 years for the 40g and never had a prob with them, but as soon as I mount them in the new machine ( No ocing, no raid ) I get the problems.

It's getting to the stage that I have to ghost every few days, which is really a pain in the gluteus, for fear of losing some really important stuff.

As I said cheers for the info guyz, I'll keep looking for the answers and hope that someone has had the same problem and can share it with me. But until then those clips of the mating secrets of the Bavarian leafcutter ant will have to stay safely on the hard drive in my other machine.
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

Thanks
    googled for 'ncq corruption A8n-sli'

Got a heap of responses, could be somthing to do with ncq

Just a thought
    HP HDX 16 Laptop

System Suspect
    Thanks
    The old maxtor wouldn't have supported NCQ I don't think and most likely not the replacement they sent as I thought maxtor only recently added it to the diamondmax model...although admitedly the asus had quite bad issues with the early bios and NCQ, but I don't think that involved causing them to fail. Drives are built to have failsafes in them that stops the head crashing into the disk due to bad commands that are sent, although if the comamnd queing caused it to write bad data and it's just corrupting but not damaging the disc then that'd be different, technically it shouldn't be possible for a command to kill a disk these days
    Last edited by Olly1234; 14-03-2005 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    bizarre... I've not had an issue with corruption using NCQ and maxtor/seagate drives.

Maybe its because my main OS is on the seagate 2 x 160 array with the 4 x 300 Gb Maxtor diamondmax plus 10 ( with 16 Mb caches ) on the nvidia array in JBOD for my storage and windows media recording drives.

I'll have a word with my contacts and see if they can shed any light onto the problem.
    Last edited by Lee H; 15-03-2005 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Have you tried a PCI IDE controller? Sounds to me like your onboard IDE controller is failing since your SATA is working fine. You may need to RMA the motherboard.

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    One last try - what are the disk jumpers set to? I've read that Cable Select is a problem with the board.

Thanks
    • Tosk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Western Digital 640GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 256MB Sapphire HD2400XT
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 500W ATX2.2 Modular
      • Case:
      • SilverSone Sugo SG01 Evo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x 22" LG L227WT
      • Internet:
      • Sky Max
    hmm make sure the jumpers r right and try a new ide cable, also make sure ur ide cables in the right way, good luck

or its the harddrive, i never liked maxtor and would never buy 1 meself as ive seen loads die
    Motto - "Vis unita fortior"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nur5ey
    'VE GOT SEVERAL SERIES OF DIC AND DOM INDA BUNGALOW TO WATCH ON THAT DRIVE GRRRRRR.
    Jesus christ, man. I hope it works out - that's pure TV gold TBH.

Anyone else noticed that "TBH" seems to be flavour of the month around here?

Thanks
    Right guyz sorry for the delay, just got back from messin up my m8s pc too hehe.
    Right, I've tried a load of stuff before posting including changeing ide cable for new, downloading the new driver for the ide from nvid and changing cs/slave but the funny thing is that i have another deskstar also on the ide that i took out when i decided to use the maxtors, but that never suffered any probs at all, and using the true American sayin, go figure..... i thought that i couldn't be that unlucky with the maxtor drives could I ????? Been also lookin at other maxtor posts too, hmmmm maybe i'm not unlucky, maybe i was just lucky the first drive lasted so long. I still think it has got something to do with this board but im just stumped after a lot of hardware removing and swapping but hey lets not forget those unforgettable words from Confusius who say;

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Rite On !!! What ever it means..
    Cheers guy for all ya help I'll keep searching for true enlightenment and the key to Camillas naked secrets..

Thanks
    Two things.

1) Confusius doesn't have much computer experience (for obvious reasons).

2) From the first post I (in error) got the impression you had a computer problem that you wanted help with. From your latter posts it is obvious that the first post was BS.

If in the future you post a question related to solving a computer problem can you please type something to let us know whether it's serious or just total BS? I could have saved myself the trouble of reading your thread further.

Regards,

StormPC
    Last edited by StormPC; 15-03-2005 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StormPC
    Two things.

1) Confusius doesn't have much computer experience (for obvious reasons).

2) From the first post I (in error) got the impression you had a computer problem that you wanted help with. From your latter posts it is obvious that the first post was BS.

If in the future you post a question related to solving a computer problem can you please type something to let us know whether it's serious or just total BS? I could have saved myself the trouble of reading your thread further.

Regards,

StormPC
    Hate to say it Storm but you really let the Hexus side down there

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nur5ey
    Right guyz sorry for the delay, just got back from messin up my m8s pc too hehe.
    Right, I've tried a load of stuff before posting including changeing ide cable for new, downloading the new driver for the ide from nvid and changing cs/slave but the funny thing is that i have another deskstar also on the ide that i took out when i decided to use the maxtors, but that never suffered any probs at all, and using the true American sayin, go figure..... i thought that i couldn't be that unlucky with the maxtor drives could I ????? Been also lookin at other maxtor posts too, hmmmm maybe i'm not unlucky, maybe i was just lucky the first drive lasted so long. I still think it has got something to do with this board but im just stumped after a lot of hardware removing and swapping but hey lets not forget those unforgettable words from Confusius who say;

The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin. When all is orderly, he does not forget that disorder may come. Thus his person is not endangered, and his States and all their clans are preserved.

Rite On !!! What ever it means..
    Cheers guy for all ya help I'll keep searching for true enlightenment and the key to Camillas naked secrets..
    This post reads like a series of very bad jokes, not like a person with a computer problem seeking help. The word serious should not be in this thread, especially in the title (where you put it).

How's this for a joke buddyboy?

Thread Information