Thread: Dead Shuttle XPC SB75G2 with Drives in RAID 0 Config

Thanks

Dead Shuttle XPC SB75G2 with Drives in RAID 0 Config

Hey guys, I'm running (or, I should say *was* running) an XPC SB75G2. But, the thing seems to have died. I'm from the USA and bought the box there. I'm currently living in Indonesia. I bought the box because of it's great performance to size ratio. :-)

TWO AREAS OF HELP REQUESTED

1) Immediately, I want to get my data off my box. I have reason to believe that the drives, the processor, the memory, are all fine. I had the drives configured in a RAID mode 0 (striping) prior to the system crash. My question is, can I buy an ASUS (full size) motherboard such as the P4P800-E Dlx that supports the same memory I have in my SB75G2, the same processor socket size, and has Raid 0 and 1 support. Can I just pop my drives onto this board and be able to boot and retrieve my data? Or, is there something specific about the RAID config of the shuttle that would prevent other controllers from being able to piece back together the data that is spread across both my drives? If I can't find a motherboard here with onboard RAID 0 support (yes, I've been looking and so far no luck), can I just buy just a stand alone SATA RAID controller that would work to get my data back off my drives?

2) Secondly, I think I want to get my Shuttle box back up and going. But, overe here in Indonesia, nothing moves fast and I can't find anyone who deals with Shuttles. The core problem I'm experiencing is the total lack of anything that resmembles a "boot" on the system. When I hit the power button, there's a 1-2 second delay, then the blue power light comes on and the fan comes on in "HI" mode. But, I get no system beeps, and nothing is displayed on the video. I have changed video cards, I have tried pulling all sorts of internal components. Yet, still no system beeps, and nothing on the video. It really seems busted somewhere on the board itself. But, I can't tell for sure. If ya'll were "stranded" in a remote region of Indonesia and had a busted Shuttle - what would be your next step? I don't want to sink a ton of money into getting this going again, but I'm desperate to get my data off the drives (RAID 0 config) and get a machine going again that is working.

Thanks

Still no luck

Just to be a bit more clear, I've tried a variety of things. I've pulled all the internal components, I've pulled the ram, I've reset the CMOS with the jumper (by pulling the ATX power supply connector first), etc. I've tried a different video card. I've tried a diff power supply.

But, the same problem exists. I turn on, and the bloody fan goes into hi mode and stays there, no harddrive light flicker, nothing on the video. Yet, if I push the reset switch I see my DVD light up momentarily. But, nothing else to indicate it "reset". I've tried booting off DVD or floppy, but the machine really doesn't seem to go anywhere other than lighting up the pretty internal and external lights and giving the fan a good workout.

I've also tried the reset the CMOS and pull all the memory, turn on the machine, turn it off, replace the memory and try again. That has seemed to work for a few folks, but not for me.

Any other tricks or things to try?

Anyone else still know about my drives in a RAID0 config. I assume I chuck the main machine and keep all the internal components. Is there a specific RAID controller I need to ensure I can read the data that's stripped across both of my disks?

Thanks
    You'd need a controller with the same chipset as your current controller, but even then there's no guarantees.

Thanks
    That sounds like a wierd issue. Have you thought about just scraping the hard drives?

Thread Information