Thread: new ram, now for the new processor and mobo...

Thanks

new ram, now for the new processor and mobo...

Hi

Brought a 1gb dual geil ram kit to speed my nfs7 2. and 2500 barton up, but now i'd like to know about if this ram o/clocks and how i can do it. the processor is running at 3200 speed as fsb is running at 200 mhz in line with the 400 ddr ram.

will it go any quicker without blowing it all up. how safe is increasing the voltages etc?

anyone got my setup and how does theres run and how is it under the bios?

also, i want to sell the mobo, barton and 2 x 256 twinmos ram dual channel kit and get a a64 3000 winchester and suitable mobo. whats the best? preferably under £200 but if i can get say £140 for my kit, i could go higher.

rest of components:

9800 pro - at stock speed
    40 gig hdd for windows and 160 sata drive for storage
    chieftec BX-01 case with 4 fans.

processor has a aero 7 lite on it.

Thanks
    Geil are decent manufacturers so they should overclock fairly well from my experience. What ram is it to start with? Is it pc3200 and cas 2.5 or something similar?

Thanks
    oop's, yes it is the geil dual channel ddr 5ns 2.5 6-3-3 cas pc3200 pack from micro direct

Thanks
    Yes that ram should oc pretty well, im no expert but i reckon you might be able to get up to 220 - 230mhz with good sticks. To get this you might have to lower the timings and increae the voltage.

I would have thought that the max fsb of the cpu will be less than the max speed of the ram. Anyone more experienced might correct me there. What vcore are you using to get those speeds?

Thanks
    i am using the boards default settings, havent even deared to touch those. i just uppedthe fsb to 200 and it recognised my cpu as a 3200. even had a select in the cpu select drop down bios menu

Thanks
    Are you interested in making your current system faster or more interested in finding the rams potential for your next system? Or both?

Ive never bothered upping the voltage on ram but havent run any particularly fast.
    As for the processor, you shouldnt fear raising the voltage a bit from 1.65v to upto around 1.75v if you need to. Always keep an eye on your temperatures though. Extra voltage will make the cpu run hotter.

So i suggest that you keep pushing the speed up a few mhz at a time to see how far itll go at stock voltages. Do you know how to reset the bios if it fails to boot?

Thanks
    i'm interested to see how fast it will go SAFELY. not serious o/cing as i want to sell it.

it will also be good to find out what the ram can do come a64 time.

i know that i can reset the bios via the jumpers, which i did do when my soundcard played up.

i'll give it a go and see what happens. cheers

Thanks
    upp the fsb by 5mhz and test using memtest86 or prime 96 then up again by 5. If it aint stable, then up the voltage a tad on the cpu and ram and watch the temps. You could also slacken timings to get even higher fsb. John
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silent
    also, i want to sell the mobo, barton and 2 x 256 twinmos ram dual channel kit and get a a64 3000 winchester and suitable mobo. whats the best? preferably under £200 but if i can get say £140 for my kit, i could go higher.
    My two cents

Winnie 3000+
    £97.87

DFI Ultra D
    £108.69

Thanks
    thats a good setup using winnie definitely dun bother with the newcastle core

Thanks
    owen: cool, i can use a agp card in that or is it just pci-e and not a pci-e sli board?

i could sell my card to.

Thanks
    "DXG (Dual Xpress Graphics) supported"
    It supports sli by the looks of things (and no agp). But if that is the case why is there an sli version of the motherboard? Maybe i shouldnt talk when i dont really have anything solid to add.... (especially when the post is aimed at owen). Id just check the DFI site and hope for clearer specs.

There should be quite a bit of interest for that 9800pro if you decide to sell (id be interested myself).
    Last edited by Scarlet Infidel; 23-03-2005 at 08:40 PM.

Thanks
    yer, they are still good wanted g/cards, and it's never been o'clocked. never had the balls to do it 'incase i break it'

are the msi k8v neo boards good. i want a nforce 4 but not to fussed as long as its 939 and supports higher ram - if needed in future.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silent
    yer, they are still good wanted g/cards, and it's never been o'clocked. never had the balls to do it 'incase i break it'

are the msi k8v neo boards good. i want a nforce 4 but not to fussed as long as its 939 and supports higher ram - if needed in future.
    There are 2 models

DFI Ultra D £108.69
    DFI Lanparty UT NF4 SLI D £129.19

What i've read is that the only difference is the SLI, and that there is a easy mod that can be done with a 2B pencil that makes the Ultra D to a Ultra SLI

Theres also an Asus A8N-SLi £96.94

I prefer the DFI as it allows better overclocking options like 4v vdimm, so if you can get your hand on some good bh5 sticks or some the new winbond UTT, you could be getting 250 @ 2-2-2-5 1T on about 3.3v, some people have been able to get upto 270 on 3.7v.

If your not planning on overclocking then go for Asus, but at the end of the day theres only about £12 difference.

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum £89.89

This is very good NF3 board which has AGP, if you don't fancy upgrading your card. To performance between a good NF3 board & a NF4 board is not huge.
    Last edited by owen1978; 24-03-2005 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information