• Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

3950X Build Suggestions?

As I've stated in other posts, I've been planning on having a 3950X system as my next build. Delays with it being released however have obviously made that take longer than I'd originally hoped it would be.

However, now that the CPU is more in sight (or at least it seems so anyway), I'd like to ask for help with what to choose to go with it.

Namely:
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Case (and any potential additional case fans)
    CPU Cooler.
    Anything else I'm missing that isn't listed below that has somehow slipped my mind.

Already present are:
    GPU: Gigabyte RX Vega 56
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W
    HDDs and an SSD.

For the motherboard, I'm thinking an X570 mostly for future-proofing and ability to take advantage of the latest improvements available. Preferably as many SATA and USB ports as possible, and ideally with space for whatever PCI-E cards I may decide to get in future (such as a capture card for example) - SLI/Crossfire ability is NOT needed as I only plan on having one GPU at a time. Not really interested in built-in WiFi as I prefer Ethernet anyway.

For the RAM, ideally asomething as fast as possible that is supported, but that also makes sense and isn't a huge cost for an insignificant increase. Minimum 16GB, ideally 32GB (mostly for future-proofing again), but would also be interested in how much 64GB would end it up at.

For the case, I liked my Xclio Touch 787 mainly for the large size and amount of cooling available to it from the many fans, however a big part of the problem with it is that it had to have proprietary fans and thus when they failed it meant that I couldn't just replace them and thus continue to use the same case. Hoping for as many 3.5" HDD spaces as possible (and possibly a 2.5" bay or two, but as long as there'd be space for one to rest at least it would be good) and overall spacious with as much cooling available to it as possible (with any case fans being added to it being replaceable).

For the CPU Cooler, it would have to be air cooling, as I'm not wanting to bother with liquid.

Overall I have no interest in RGB, so ideally if money could be saved by having non-RGB things that would be preferable.

Thank You for any suggestions on what to go for.
    Last edited by Output; 18-12-2020 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Changed prefix to resolved, a few days short of a full year since starting the thread.

Thanks
    • Hoonigan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 ACE
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2x 2TB Gigabyte NVMe 4.0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3070Ti Gaming Pro
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Straight Power 11 Platinum 750W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Crystal Series 680X
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P + ASUS ROG PG279Q
      • Internet:
      • Giganet (City Fibre) 900/900

Re: 3950X Build Suggestions?

I'm using the GIGABYTE AORUS MASTER with my 3700X, absolutely excellent motherboard, really fast releases on new BIOS versions. 3x NVMe slots, loads of USBs, not much RGB, quiet FCH fan, 2.5G ethernet. It's the whole package.

3. Received thanks from:

Output (21-12-2019)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

I think motherboards are largely down to personal bias at this point. I keep reading that MSI are the danglies, but somehow can't bring myself to buy one from bad experience so long ago that I know logically it doesn't matter If you aren't overclocking, even then cheap B450 boards can handle a 3950X. I don't think you can go too far wrong.

RGB is pretty hard to avoid, just turn it off in the BIOS.

I'm intrigued by the case, in what way are the fans proprietary? Is it the LEDs, size or fan control?

5. Received thanks from:

Output (21-12-2019)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If you aren't overclocking, even then cheap B450 boards can handle a 3950X. I don't think you can go too far wrong.
    I don't have any plans to overclock, but I'd still prefer it as an option for the future when it starts showing its age. So again, more of a future-proofing thing.

RGB is pretty hard to avoid, just turn it off in the BIOS.
    Fair point.

I'm intrigued by the case, in what way are the fans proprietary? Is it the LEDs, size or fan control?
    I believe the fans were 120mm each (with there being 10 or 11 in total), but the proprietary bit was the connection to the Fan Controller. Sadly that wasn't made to accept normal case fan connectors, and since they stopped selling the fan packs for it after a while, that didn't leave any option for replacements (and I'd obviously prefer not to mess about with Frankensteining a way).
    Last edited by Output; 21-12-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

I would scrap the build entirely. Pointless. Rubbish. Waste of money.

Just give the money to me. Far better use of it. I'll spend it far more wisely.

Glad I could help. I've PMd you my bank details in anticipation.

Seriously though, I'd consider buying the RAM sooner rather than later. I have a hunch that the low prices won't last much longer and DDR4 isn't going to be surpassed in the immediate future.

My approach to motherboards has been to buy a decent one rather than a cheapo one which will just about do the job. This opens up OC potential in future (although my CPU has been ruined by security mitigations rather than age), gives you support for the majority of the lifespan of the board and you get features you may not need immediately but are there for the future. Example in my case of the latter was the M2 socket which is there as and when I need it. These days that socket is fairly standard but back then it was only on the higher tier boards. I also think buying a board which can do PCI-e 4 is sensible if you're planning on keeping the build for any length of time. The main issue with mobos at the moment is it's really hard to know where the ceiling is. Last time I upgraded there were high end, mid-high end, mid and low. That was it. Now the mid-high and the high end are muddled with these boards costing silly money and for me I am finding it hard to see where the optimum price point is for the feature set I would need. There are all these boards which don't seem to justify their prices to me and I'm struggling to see where the value in them lies for an ordinary PC builder who values function over form.

8. Received thanks from:

Output (22-12-2019)

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    My approach to motherboards has been to buy a decent one rather than a cheapo one which will just about do the job. This opens up OC potential in future (although my CPU has been ruined by security mitigations rather than age),
    I do like to spend enough that I don't have to worry about the VRM dying after only a couple of years from using the cheapest possible components. However, the 3000 series doesn't seem to unlock much in the way of overclocking performance, just heat. Maybe the 4000 series will overclock better, but the way things are going these chips seem to boost themselves in a way that is basically a self overclock anyway, so manual overclocking doesn't seem to help much.

PCIe 4 is starting to look interesting though. It seems that the 5500XT does benefit quite a bit from a PCIe4 interface, thanks to it only being an electrical x8 interface despite using a x16 slot (according to a recent pcgameshardware.de article). That implies that a faster card on a x16 interface may also benefit.

Long member
    Thanks
    • philehidiot's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Father's bored
      • CPU:
      • Cockroach brain V0.1
      • Memory:
      • Innebriated, unwritten
      • Storage:
      • Big Yellow Self Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Semi chewed Crayola Mega Pack
      • PSU:
      • 20KW single phase direct grid supply
      • Case:
      • Closed, Open, Cold
      • Operating System:
      • Cockroach
      • Monitor(s):
      • The mental health nurses
      • Internet:
      • Please.

Aye I think the self overclocking of the new Ryzens makes manual overclocking obsolete for most of us mere mortals. Intel chips, given how the boost works, are a different kettle of fish but for me, I think if / when I get a proper Ryzen build done, I'll be buying the best cooling solution I can afford / is practical.

The mobo component longevity is a consideration, especially given the hot running of newer Ryzens. It has been a while since I bought a dirt cheap mobo but failure modes for me have been related to cracking copper tracks due to heating / cooling cycles and cack handedness whilst fitting a CPU.

If I were building a Ryzen PC right now, I'd expect the CPU would last ~5 years before an upgrade is getting necessary. That means PCI-e 4 would have to be on there as it'll be standard for decent GPUs within that timeframe and one build for me can easily see 3 GPUs.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far.

Another question has come to mind too, which is: What thermal paste would people recommend these days? I believe I should still have some Arctic Cooling MX-2 (if I recall the name correctly) around somewhere, but whether I have kept it in ideal conditions and it still being viable is another question entirely.

Thanks

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by me-yeah View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.

So you'd definitely suggest that 3200MHz option rather than the (also cheaper) 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX? https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb...-22-22-42-135v

EDIT: Also, I take it memory compatibility is no longer a problem to have to worry about with 3rd Gen Ryzens like it was for the 1st Gen?
    Last edited by Output; 25-12-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post

So you'd definitely suggest that 3200MHz option rather than the (also cheaper) 3600MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX? https://www.scan.co.uk/products/32gb...-22-22-42-135v

EDIT: Also, I take it memory compatibility is no longer a problem to have to worry about with 3rd Gen Ryzens like it was for the 1st Gen?
    you would have to decide yourself on the RAM, but the dominator on scan will work with bios defaults, while the LPX 3600, come's up on reddit posts about not working at all. quite often

15. Received thanks from:

Output (25-12-2019)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by me-yeah View Post
    you would have to decide yourself on the RAM, but the dominator on scan will work with bios defaults, while the LPX 3600, come's up on reddit posts about not working at all. quite often
    Fair point in that case then. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks again.

EDIT: RAM has now been ordered, as has motherboard. Motherboard chosen was the AORUS Master suggested earlier.

It's possible that the motherboard could still be overkill for me, but I'll justify it as "future-proofing" if so.

CPU itself hasn't actually been ordered, as I'm waiting to see a definite sign of stock before doing so (the Scan listing description suggests it's more of a placeholder for whenever they get stock at some unknown point, and the third-party sellers on Amazon that seem to suggest they have stock for delivery around the start of the new year - at a higher price than RRP - I'm sceptical as to whether they really do).

Haven't decided upon a case yet (and thus any case fans either), nor have I decided upon the CPU cooler or thermal paste.
    Last edited by Output; 25-12-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philehidiot View Post
    I would scrap the build entirely. Pointless. Rubbish. Waste of money.

Just give the money to me. Far better use of it. I'll spend it far more wisely.

Glad I could help. I've PMd you my bank details in anticipation.

Seriously though, I'd consider buying the RAM sooner rather than later. I have a hunch that the low prices won't last much longer and DDR4 isn't going to be surpassed in the immediate future.

My approach to motherboards has been to buy a decent one rather than a cheapo one which will just about do the job. This opens up OC potential in future (although my CPU has been ruined by security mitigations rather than age), gives you support for the majority of the lifespan of the board and you get features you may not need immediately but are there for the future. Example in my case of the latter was the M2 socket which is there as and when I need it. These days that socket is fairly standard but back then it was only on the higher tier boards. I also think buying a board which can do PCI-e 4 is sensible if you're planning on keeping the build for any length of time. The main issue with mobos at the moment is it's really hard to know where the ceiling is. Last time I upgraded there were high end, mid-high end, mid and low. That was it. Now the mid-high and the high end are muddled with these boards costing silly money and for me I am finding it hard to see where the optimum price point is for the feature set I would need. There are all these boards which don't seem to justify their prices to me and I'm struggling to see where the value in them lies for an ordinary PC builder who values function over form.
    +1 for the Mobo recommendation.

That board is going to be the backbone of your machine for years to come and will dictate both how upgradeable and expandable you will be in future.

18. Received thanks from:

Output (31-12-2019)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

It appears that places do indeed have stock now, so that's the CPU ordered too.

That just leaves the case (+ any case fans) and CPU cooler (+ thermal paste).

I'd still prefer air cooling and am definitely not going for a liquid cooling setup, but is there a specific air cooler regarded well, or should I consider the possibility of at least going for an AIO for that instead (and if so, any suggestions there either?)?

Thank You once again to everyone for all the help thus far and any help following this post.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Good choice on the board and memory It may seem odd but in testing, 3200mhz ram tends to come out faster or identical than 3600 and higher in real world usage...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zGeb9M8zM
    Thermal paste wise, i'd stick to Arctic Silver 5 tbh. The difference between them all is minimal - all it's there to do is to fill in the tiny gaps in the metal - it's really not worth worrying about, as long as what you have is fresh and has not been sat around for 5 years.

Case wise, I really recommend the BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 if your budget allows for it - it's a lovely case to build in, so much flexibility and allows for some really nice cable management and a clean build. Expensive but worth it imo, and it includes some silentwings fans that match. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/be-q...-xl-atxmitx-3x

This is how my build came out before i tidied up the SATA cables, in that case. That has 3 case fans + a 240 Radiator (with 2 fans), 6 drives and there is still loads of room https://imgur.com/a/f9nA2gh . Ignore the red LED silliness I went for

If you want something smaller, the Fractal R5 is still one of the best out there imo, half the cost of the one above (but also smaller and less configurable) but depends on what you need.

I can't really help you with a cooler other than to say that AIOs are generally pointless unless you want easy RGB for your cooler - good air coolers are generally better & quieter than even the most expensive AIOs, and cheaper to go with it. I'd recommend a custom loop really (particularly if you go for the case above, given how much space you have) but as you have said you are not interested in watercooling I won't push that
    Last edited by Spud1; 31-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.

21. Received thanks from:

Output (31-12-2019)

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Good choice on the board and memory It may seem odd but in testing, 3200mhz ram tends to come out faster or identical than 3600 and higher in real world usage...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zGeb9M8zM
    Good to know, thanks.

Thermal paste wise, i'd stick to Arctic Silver 5 tbh. The difference between them all is minimal - all it's there to do is to fill in the tiny gaps in the metal - it's really not worth worrying about, as long as what you have is fresh and has not been sat around for 5 years.
    Fair enough, and I'm pretty sure that what I do have has indeed been sitting around for about 5 years.

I think I'll go with the MX-4 2019 Edition though, as that claims to last for 8 Years without need for re-application.

Case wise, I really recommend the BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2 if your budget allows for it - it's a lovely case to build in, so much flexibility and allows for some really nice cable management and a clean build. Expensive but worth it imo, and it includes some silentwings fans that match. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/be-q...-xl-atxmitx-3x

This is how my build came out before i tidied up the SATA cables, in that case. That has 3 case fans + a 240 Radiator (with 2 fans), 6 drives and there is still loads of room https://imgur.com/a/f9nA2gh . Ignore the red LED silliness I went for

If you want something smaller, the Fractal R5 is still one of the best out there imo, half the cost of the one above (but also smaller and less configurable) but depends on what you need.

I have to admit that it's more than I was thinking of paying for a case, but it does seem to fit my requirements of having plenty of fan bays and space like the Touch 787, with actual replaceability for fans, so I could see it being justifiable - especially as I could actually see it as being re-usable for any successive build(s) too.

A quick look at reviews suggests real awkwardness if you drop screws in there (with them apparently not being easy to get at to remove if you do), an odd setup for the PSU so that you have to connect it to another cable and end up having the PSU's own switch and plug blocked off, and potential confusion when it comes ot front panel connectors to the case not being clear (and one not being connected upon delivery), and the side of the case requiring screw the screws to stay in place rather than the usual "insert into place, then use the screws to keep it in place until you actually need to open in".

Would you say any of those things were actual issues you encountered when you did a build with it, or is that review more overblown (or potentially referring to a previous version) in reality?

I can't really help you with a cooler other than to say that AIOs are generally pointless unless you want easy RGB for your cooler - good air coolers are generally better & quieter than even the most expensive AIOs, and cheaper to go with it. I'd recommend a custom loop really (particularly if you go for the case above, given how much space you have) but as you have said you are not interested in watercooling I won't push that
    Thanks, I was hoping to hear something along those lines.

After a quick search, I think I'm leaning in the direction of the Noctua NH-D15 (possibly the Chromax version, although if I do go for it, I guess I wouldn't need to bother with getting thermal paste as it would be bundled with their NT-H1 paste which they suggest can last at least 5 years).
    Last edited by Output; 31-12-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Clarified version of potential cooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information