• Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

Intel upgrade

So i've been thinking of upgrading for a while. EVGA have z370 classified K for $99 on sale and the 9400f $120 or 9600kf can be had for $200.

That is pretty competitive with AMD offerings, from a gaming prospective. I do't do much production stuff or streaming. So smt threads don't really do much for me. I know intel are coming out with new stuff (april-june)

I guess its the old should I wait buy amd or press the trigger.

I'm Very Important
    Thanks
    • Domestic_Ginger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X2 550
      • Memory:
      • 4GB DDR2
      • Storage:
      • F3 500gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550vx
      • Case:
      • NZXT beta evo
      • Operating System:
      • W7
      • Monitor(s):
      • G2222HDL

Re: Intel upgrade

Wait, both parts are 6 threaded. The new consoles are going multi thread afaik so maybe we shall see the revolution?

Thanks
    • rob4001's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte z97
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1231 v3
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 256GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1660 super
      • PSU:
      • Sliverstone 500w SFX-L
      • Case:
      • Silverstone SG13 mitx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Comcast 75MB

Maybe I'll just get a console when they come out In all seriousness they are maybe 9-10 months away or even later and another 12 months until devs have adjusted. They can pick between higher clock and no threads or lower clock and 16 threads so who the hell knows what at this point. If necessary I could drop a second hand 9700 in and that would last 3-4 years i think.

Taken from Eurogamer
    Microsoft is promising a 4x improvement in both single-core and overall throughput over Xbox One X - and CPU speeds are impressive, with a peak 3.8GHz frequency. This is when SMT - or hyper-threading - is disabled. Curiously, developers can choose to run with eight physical cores at the higher clock, or all cores and threads can be enabled with a lower 3.6GHz frequency. Those frequencies are completely locked and won't adjust according to load or thermal conditions - a point Microsoft emphasised several times during our visit.
    In our PC-based tests, having SMT enabled can deliver up to 30 per cent - or more - of additional performance in well-threaded applications. However, for launch titles at least, Microsoft expects developers to opt for the higher 3.8GHz mode with SMT disabled. "From a game developer's perspective, we expect a lot of them to actually stick with the eight cores because their current games are running with the distribution often set to seven cores and seven worker threads," explains Microsoft technical fellow and Xbox system architect Andrew Goossen. "And so for them to go wider, for them to go to 14 hardware threads, it means that they have the system to do it, but then, you have to have workloads that split even more effectively across them. And so we're actually finding that the vast majority of developers - talking with them about the their choices for launch - the vast majority are going to go with the SMT disabled and the higher clock."

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

6 threads in 2020 is basically a 4 thread CPU in 2017 - sure it's OK now, but that'll change very soon. You can get a 3600 for $175 and it's just as fast as the intel offerings (faster than 9400f in games), and it'll last a lot better - once games need more than 8 threads, and they will soon, it'll outpace the 9700.

Those frequencies are completely locked and won't adjust according to load or thermal conditions - a point Microsoft emphasised several times during our visit.
    Getting zen2 and explicitly not using PB, especially on a die sharing power with the more important GPU, is a very odd choice

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by rob4001 View Post
    So i've been thinking of upgrading for a while. EVGA have z370 classified K for $99 on sale and the 9400f $120 or 9600kf can be had for $200.

That is pretty competitive with AMD offerings, from a gaming prospective. I do't do much production stuff or streaming. So smt threads don't really do much for me. I know intel are coming out with new stuff (april-june)

I guess its the old should I wait buy amd or press the trigger.
    The consoles use Zen2 cores with SMT,so I wouldn't be buying a Core i5 9400F,especially on a platform which is going to be EOL in a few months.

Hardware Unboxed tested the Core i5 9400F compared to the Ryzen 5 3600,and the former stuttered in some games. The Ryzen 5 3600 is faster overall.

Gamersnexus said they would even get the Ryzen 5 3600 over the Coe i5 9600K.

Quote Originally Posted by rob4001 View Post
    Maybe I'll just get a console when they come out In all seriousness they are maybe 9-10 months away or even later and another 12 months until devs have adjusted. They can pick between higher clock and no threads or lower clock and 16 threads so who the hell knows what at this point. If necessary I could drop a second hand 9700 in and that would last 3-4 years i think.

Taken from Eurogamer
    The AM4 platform also will support Zen3,so at this point you could get a Ryzen 5 4600/4600X/4700/4700X and use it in the motherboard.

Intel high end CPUs won't drop in price that much - a Core i7 7700K goes for £200 to £250 even now.

6. Received thanks from:

rob4001 (24-03-2020)

Thread Information