Thread: Tech Progress over the years

Registered+
    Thanks

Tech Progress over the years

After running my new hardware for a few days out of the case to ensure it was all working correctly, it was time to power down the old server and swap the hardware into the new case. All went pretty smoothly, until I realised, right at the end, that a Powershell script that manages attaching/detaching virtual HDs that live on a removable HD that store the VM backups was still on the old hardware. Back in the old IDE days, this would have meant at least powering down, and maybe unplugging a nasty old ribbon cable from a second HDD, if you rolled that way, powering on, copying etc. But last night (well, early hours of this morning), I just hot-plugged the system SATA SSD from the old build into a spare SATA cable on the new system, copied the script over, and unplugged again. Progress!

Anyone else have similar progress-related items to share?
    Last edited by Teece; 22-04-2020 at 11:04 AM.

Thanks
    • jimbouk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450M-HDV R4.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Pulse RX 580 8GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Core Gold GC-650
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-V1100 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC CU34G2/BK 34" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • EE FTC

Re: Tech Progress over the years

Home networking. I remember networking 2 computers back in the Windows 98 day. Required about 3 restarts to get them talking to each other between the new device, connecting the cable and fixing the IP addresses. Took about an hour to get 6 machines working when I had some friends round for a LAN party!

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbouk View Post
    Home networking. I remember networking 2 computers back in the Windows 98 day. Required about 3 restarts to get them talking to each other between the new device, connecting the cable and fixing the IP addresses. Took about an hour to get 6 machines working when I had some friends round for a LAN party!
    Oh yes! I remember borrowing some cards from somewhere for some Doom/C&C multiplayer action, they were COAX 10BASE2 cards. Terminators, T-pieces, horrendous! The year after, a mate borrowed some other cards, which turned out to be Cat5-based, which were no use as we didn't have a hub. Gutted!

Thanks
    • matts-uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Apple iMac
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3.4Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • RAID5 on the twin Xeon server I keep in the airing cupboard
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 7970M
      • Case:
      • A lurvely slimline, all in one aluminium number.
      • Operating System:
      • OSX, Centos, Windows.
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" LED (Apple), 24" LED (Apple), 2 x 20" TFT Dell
      • Internet:
      • ADSL rubbish

When I started getting paid for fiddling with PCs, MS DOS and Win 3.1 were the flavour of the day. The first PC would take a couple hours to build. DOS was a couple 3.5" floppies, 2 for the Netware client, 6 for Windows, another 25 for Office. After that just plug in, DOS and Netware client, copy everything else disk to disk or via the network. I could build 12 a day, easy. No messing with activation and registries and that awful RSI inducing tapping numbers into the MS activation line.

These days some of the slower PCs that come through the door needing a rebuild can take 8 to 12 hours just to do the updates, and the d'king around moving an old version of Office, exporting contacts that are wrapped in propriety formats. And passwords....Oh the passwords.

The hardware has come on a leaps and bounds but the software...It's getting horrendous. I would like to say Remote Desktop Access was progress but I used to do that over a modem with PC Anywhere.

Can you tell my technician is on furlough and I am having to do the mundane stuff myself

Thread Information