Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Card

Thanks

Sound Card

Well basically looking for a semi decent sound card, which doesn't cost to much to replace my onboard sound due to problems in bf1942 one of the games i play most. I watch movies on my pc and listen to alot of music and play games when i have time, but due to buying alot of stuff lately im on a budget for a card which should do the job.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    What system you got? Processor and memory etc?

There's some ace sound cards out there

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    how about a Terratec Aureon 5.1 Fun for £30 from kustom :- http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=4048

or if you've got a bit more cash to spend, a M-Audio Revolution 7.1 is £77 from kustom :- http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=4009

Thanks
    My specs are as followed.

Athlon XP 2100+ (1.74ghz)
    Gigabyte 7VAX KT400
    512 DDR PC2700 Ram
    GF4 Ti4200 128MB (Soon to be rad 9700 pro)
    Onboard Sound

Not looking for anything to exspensive as im still paying back some loans and looking to get new gfx card next month.
    Just need something which will do the job, until i can afford a much better one later on in the year, early next year such as an audigy or something.
    Last edited by Stylez; 22-09-2003 at 03:23 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Are you sure it isn't something else that's causing the game to malfunction? Drivers, conflicts etc.

Regarding which soundcard to buy, Creative's offerings are both over-hyped and overpriced and the drivers are flaky most of the time too. I would rec Hercules Fortissimo II/III, Philips Edge (Acoustic top notch) or Sonic Fury (TBSC). The Philips AE in particular is very interesting as it can produce DIRECTIONAL surround sound from a stereo source which should be ace for all those games lacking surround support.

Thanks
    I'll reccomend Terratec cards.

I've got the Aureon Space 7.1 (you can pick it up for about £75 now) and it's a great card.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Are you sure it isn't something else that's causing the game to malfunction? Drivers, conflicts etc.

Regarding which soundcard to buy, Creative's offerings are both over-hyped and overpriced and the drivers are flaky most of the time too. I would rec Hercules Fortissimo II/III, Philips Edge (Acoustic top notch) or Sonic Fury (TBSC). The Philips AE in particular is very interesting as it can produce DIRECTIONAL surround sound from a stereo source which should be ace for all those games lacking surround support.
    Aye it is, because when i disable sound my fps shoots up, and ive read on some forums that onboard sound cuts fps in bf1942.
    And people have bought a sound card and disbaled on board and all is fine, so basically im going to do the same.

Also with my onboard sound i can use voice coms in counter-strike, but when i use ventrillo or teamspeak i cant use in game comms aswell sais direct summit already in use. When i took sound card out of other pc i could do it in both unlike i could with onboard.
    I was looking at this "game surround" on dabs, but ill also look at the ones you mentioned above.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I'd recommend an SBLive 5.1 if you're after something cheap with good quality. It's about £25 OEM from Ebuyer.

Regardless of what people say, if you're system is properly set up, you won't have any problems. The drivers are fine.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Thanks
    I might just pick one of them up then mate, for that price and if their decent might just be what im looking for.

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    i'd still recommend the terratec aureon 5.1 fun for £30 from kustom, £27 from dabs.

Banned
    Thanks
    I wouldn't rec a SB Live, much of the flack they got (and get) is warranted. Quality is good as is capabilities BUT it seriously hogs the CPU and totally kills the PCI bus which is known to be weaker on VIA mobos like yours (although you have 8235 which is much improved). Getting a SB Live may undo much of what you are trying to do, free up CPU cycles.

Thanks
    i recently got an audigy 2 oem for 50+ P&P, and belive it is a excellent card for the money, runs excellent with full dts 5.1 set up through the av amp ***

Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    I wouldn't rec a SB Live, much of the flack they got (and get) is warranted. Quality is good as is capabilities BUT it seriously hogs the CPU and totally kills the PCI bus which is known to be weaker on VIA mobos like yours (although you have 8235 which is much improved). Getting a SB Live may undo much of what you are trying to do, free up CPU cycles.
    So Austin what would you recommend then mate up to £35 max. Seing as ill buy a better one early next year.
    Last edited by Stylez; 22-09-2003 at 09:34 PM.

Tom
    Thanks
    hercules fortissimo III or terratec aureon fun

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Stylez
    So what would you recommend then mate up to £35 max. Seing as ill buy a better one early next year.
    i still recommend the terratec aureon 5.1 fun...

...i'll give up now!

Thanks
    Originally posted by fondie
    i still recommend the terratec aureon 5.1 fun...

...i'll give up now!
    Well im defiently looking into that now mate, asking Austin as hes got experience with these motherboards and will know whats best.

Thread Information