Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesh grill on an SN95G5

Thanks

Mesh grill on an SN95G5

Apart from looking a little funkier, is it worth fitting one to help the system stay cool ??

Thanks
    It's the PN16 mesh case I'm looking at btw

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable
    erm i wud say yes

Thanks
    Got one on my sn95g5 havent compared the temps but they must have gone down and it looks damn sexy !

Thanks
    Cheers guys. I'll get ordering then

Thanks
    Just remember, a ducted fan is far more efficient than an unducted fan.
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5
    AMD 65 3500+ . 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect 2.5 CAS
    2x120 GB Samsung SATA . Plextor 712A
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT oc . Dell 2001FP

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thanks
    I'll do a comparison and if the mesh casing isn't as efficient , the original casing can go back on

Thanks
    The other option at the moment is a 120mm fan in place of the current 92mm, but I'm loathe to do that as my modding skill are non existant and I don't want to mess it up completely.

Thanks
    Frankly, I haven't seen the need for any additional cooling, unless you are considering serious overclocking. I have about as much stuff as you can stuff in the little bugger and have had zero issues with overheating, I also live in Hawaii with no AC.
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rqyteqto
    Frankly, I haven't seen the need for any additional cooling, unless you are considering serious overclocking. I have about as much stuff as you can stuff in the little bugger and have had zero issues with overheating, I also live in Hawaii with no AC.
    Depending on which software I use, I'm getting CPU idle temps of between 45 and 50 degrees. I'm just a little concerned that when it really gets hot out here, my little Shuttle might start to struggle to keep itself cool.

Unfortunately the system was BTO and not by myself, so I'm loathe to go in and start messing about inside. Having said that I'll be speaking to the guys who built it and asking why the put a Newcastle core inside, instead of a Winny, which would help keep the temps down.

I'm not the most confident system builder in the world and unless I can find a Hexus member who knows his stuff and lives near Bath in the UK, I'm going to have to rely on the builders until the warranty runs out

Thanks
    Foxile its very simple to build a shuttle the instruction booklet steps you through it in simple steps

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy
    Foxile its very simple to build a shuttle the instruction booklet steps you through it in simple steps
    I have the booklet and it seems easy enough, it's the bit where you fit the ICE system to the CPU ( applying the AS5 etc ), that I'd worry about.

Thanks
    If you can tie shoelaces you can do that bit tbh

Thanks
    Don't be too sure

Thanks
    Looks like the default readings on Speedfan are totally incorrect. I was never sure why the BIOS was set to maintain 45 degrees, but the CPU was sat at 50 with the fan at 800rpm and it never sped up.

Fire up the latest beta of Everest ( thanks to whoever recommended it ) and it turns out the CPU is idling at 42 degrees, so I'm more than happy

Thanks
    That's one of the reasons you have to get to know SpeedFan, and the rest. Many of the readings are mistitled. Even Everest can be wrong. I believe for the V2s, Temp 1 is the motherboard, Temp 2 is the CPU and Temp 3 is the CPU MOSFET. If you are getting Local and Remote Temp readings, those may be your graphics card. If you have SMART HDDs, they will show up too. Like I said elsewhere, there are a lot of threads on it in Sudhian. as for defaults, have to remember, most programs are intended for many different rigs, so defaults are simpy what the author though fit the most common user. They may or may not apply to your rig.

Some things you absolutely have to do to get SpeedFan working:
    1) Main Page - Check box for Automatic Fan Speed.
    2) In Configure, under Speeds tab, you have to make sure the box for fan 2 (that's the ICE fan) for Automatically variated is checked.
    3) In Configure, under Advanced tab, click on the drop down menu and select the sensor for your CPU, I believe its the IT8712F (that's what it is for the V1.xs) and click on it and then find the setting for PWM 2 mode (that's for Pulse Width Modulation for Fan 2, the ICE fan) and set it to Software Controlled.

Back on the Temperatures tab, once you've identified what reading is what, click on the reading you've identified as the CPU and make sure Speed 2 is checked. That assigns this reading as controlling Fan 2. Of course, any other Temperature reading that has Speed 2 checked, will also control Fan 2 and its the most critical that controls. So go through all the Temperature readings and make sure what they are checked to control. The SN95G5 only has one controllable fan, for the V2.0s, its Fan 2. Down at the bottom of the page, you will see boxes for Desired and Warning Temps you can set. Desired is what you want the item being read to be at when the fans it controls should go to Minimum set under Speeds tab. Warning is the temp where the fan will go to 100%. Over on the Speeds tab, go to the fan in question and highlight it, then down at the bottom of the page, there are two settings, Minimum and Maximum. Minumum is the lowest speed the fan should work at when the Desired temp reading for that fan is reached. Whenever the temp is above Desired but below Warning, the fan will vary between Minimum and Maximum, which you also set here. Minimum should probably be set no lower than 20% as PWM fans tend to chug below that speed. However, that fan at 20% is putting out like 10 db. Its virtually silent. Setting it lower will make it noisie. Sort of one of those Less is More things. There, that's SpeedFan in a nutshell. Donations are welcome.m
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information