Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning -do not use Scan!

Thanks

Warning -do not use Scan!

I made a mistake of shopping with Scan about two months ago and the experience has been hell. I wanted to share my experience to prevent others having the same. The order amount was £200+ and after a month of being messed about I decided the whole order was going back for a full refund. Today I recieved only a part refund by paypal and the dispute is closed, leaving me with no option to get back the money stolen from me!

Now the problems all started as they are unable to package hard disks. The first arrived loose in a static bag, at the bottom of a large box. It had no bubble wrap or protection, I sent it straight back, and they agreed it should not be sent like that. The replacement arrived in worse packaging, a thin peice of bubblewrap in a dpd bag, no box. I tried the second drive, It did not work, not even detected by pc, so that was going back too.

They also sneak a premium rate 0871 number in emails. There is no warning that this is a premium number, and still no one picked up after the IVR.

They are quite happy to take sales calls, but if you try to contact CS, no answer. Phone sales and they hang up on you!!

I reregistered here as I lost my old account and email address, I used to post here quite often when I had more interest in computers.

Thanks

Re: Warning -do not use Scan!

Sounds a bit poor that, suprised someone from Scan hasn't commented, maybe try posting in the right subsection?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kramd View Post

I reregistered here as I lost my old account and email address, I used to post here quite often when I had more interest in computers.
    If you want your old account sorted out, I'm sure an admin can sort it for you.

As for Scan, I have no recent experience but last time I ordered it certainly wasn't like that. Hope you get it sorted.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

This doesn't sound right - daft question but as you 100% it was Scan in bolton?

Their packaging is normally spot on - I bought some fans from them this week and they came wrapped in more bubble wrap and protection than you'd think! It's been the same for everything i've purchased from them...they normally go overboard on it.

They also have a straightforward local rate number to contact them on (01204 474 747) if you need to, although i've always used live chat as I find that easier when multi tasking

I hope you get it sorted out - Scan are not perfect and I know their service has declined over the past 10 years as they have grown, but not to this sort of degree. They are no where near as bad as Ebuyer or those that shall not be named down in Stoke....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    This doesn't sound right - ....
    That was my immediate thought but it's been several years for me so .... it could have changed.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    That was my immediate thought but it's been several years for me so .... it could have changed.
    I had a not too happy encounter with Scan a couple of months back, which I related on a separate thread. What I took from that is that possibly their relentless focus on sales has overwhelmed their ethic of service.

One of the aspects of my experience is that I approached Scan as a business customer, looking for a business account. I was told in no uncertain terms that a business account would not be open unless I was able to commit to orders of at least £2,000
    a month. Whether that was likely in the case of my business or not is irrelevant, but what it shows is that Scan is not willing to give business rates to most small and medium sized businesses, as their hardware costs are not likely to amount to £24k per annum.

It also means that such businesses, which often operate on tight margins, and need the ease and convenience of a business relationship when dealing with suppliers, wouldn't get that from Scan.

7. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (19-06-2020),Saracen999 (19-06-2020)

Spreadie

The whole bit about the HDD in loose packaging doesn't sound typical of Scan.

It doesn't matter what I order from Scan, it always arrives with an inch or two of bubblewrap taped around it. Even an order of a half dozen sata cables a couple of weeks back arrived with that much packaging. There have been delays on my last couple of orders, mainly due to staffing issues during the shutdown, but the items have always arrived well packed.

They aren't perfect, but calling them thieves is a tad dramatic, and unlikely to help your case. Unless you've already given up and are content to post smack in retribution.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • DemonAndrew's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z270 GAMING M3
      • CPU:
      • i5-7600K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX750M
      • Case:
      • Corsair 270R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 1080p@60Hz IPS Monitors
      • Internet:
      • 80 down 20 up (BT)

I've ordered drives and mobos from Scan before and they came well packaged and protected, with loads of bubble wrap. I wonder if your particular item is handled different or something - are you definitely sure it was from the legitimate scan website?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • DemonAndrew's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z270 GAMING M3
      • CPU:
      • i5-7600K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX750M
      • Case:
      • Corsair 270R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 1080p@60Hz IPS Monitors
      • Internet:
      • 80 down 20 up (BT)

Yeah, doesn't sound like Scan to me either. All my orders have come very well packaged and the actual item is always in perfect condition. Maybe that specific product is treated differently for some reason?

Thanks

This was the packaging. First image, deflated air bag under the disk, and bubble in second too thin.

I spent another hour on the phone to them last week, it took several calls but eventually got the refund in 3 seperate parts. I added up my calls and it is over 6 hours in total!

I got new parts, wd hdd from amazon, and power supply from box on ebay, much more pleasant experience. I will stick to ebay and amazon in future.

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

i've ordered from them since coronavirus happened. First one was a refurb logitech keyboard which was in stock and i got delayed order notification but no eta and it took about ten days to arrive to me.

My second order was motherboard cpu ram combo, It missed the next day delivery but turned up the day after and that was all fine. Every company has its ups and downs, You may have just been unlucky and someone dropped the ball.

Thanks

Yes Im sure most had no problem, but when you have a problem, that is when you find out if they are any good. This was by far the worst online shopping experience I can remember and I have been buying stuff and building computers about 25 years.

Thanks

I can not message any admins to get my account sorted. How many posts do I need before I become a normal user?

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by danroyle View Post
    i've ordered from them since coronavirus happened. First one was a refurb logitech keyboard which was in stock and i got delayed order notification but no eta and it took about ten days to arrive to me.

My second order was motherboard cpu ram combo, It missed the next day delivery but turned up the day after and that was all fine. Every company has its ups and downs, You may have just been unlucky and someone dropped the ball.
    In my experience Scan have good prices...BUT it's when things go wrong that you find out just how bad their after-sales service really is.

Thanks
    • adidan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar Max
      • CPU:
      • R5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 3200Mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
      • Storage:
      • Corsair MP510 m.2 480Gb / 2xCrucial M500 1Tb0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX1080 Mini
      • PSU:
      • 750W EVGA G3
      • Case:
      • CM NR400 Noctua Redux filled
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p Iiyama XUB2792QSU

Never had an issue with them personally.
    Grab that. Get that. Check it out. Bring that here. Grab anything useful. Take anything good.

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

It wouyld have been a bit quicker if you had specifically requested that your old account be reactivated Sorry, not a mind reader

What was your old user name please ?
    Cheers, David

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information