• GeForce 1660 Super
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 650W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake v21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Looking for advice on a new keyboard

I have finally managed to get approval from "her indoors" to buy a mechanical keyboard. I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't need to but I probably have a top end budget of £100. I've tried various things and to be honest I liked all switches I experienced. I haven't really settled on one I prefer. I really liked the Razer greens as a typist and my wife thought she could "get used to the sound". What is important for me though is that it doesn't look like too much of a "boys toy".

Any advice on what I should consider? I have just noticed the corsair refurbs that Scan do. Are these a good buy, or am I buying trouble? I've seen a few bargains out in the market such as a Riotoro Keyboard that seemed to launch at around £150 but Riotoro seem to be dead. I can get their "Ghostwriter Prism" for £55 with Cherry Black keys. This seems a good buy but I am concerned that the software is "beta" and has issues as well as being dead. I'm also concerned that any warranty would be worthless.

Thanks

Re: Looking for advice on a new keyboard

I don't know about riotoro but corsair and razer surely have great mechanical keyboards. Also I would suggest looking into Logitech. There is a variety of affordable keyboards. Also for the sound of the keyboard I would suggest you to try them in a shop, because there are many that are way too loud or not loud enough, depends on your ears

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spudbynight View Post
    I have finally managed to get approval from "her indoors" to buy a mechanical keyboard. I don't want to spend a fortune if I don't need to but I probably have a top end budget of £100. I've tried various things and to be honest I liked all switches I experienced. I haven't really settled on one I prefer. I really liked the Razer greens as a typist and my wife thought she could "get used to the sound". What is important for me though is that it doesn't look like too much of a "boys toy".

Any advice on what I should consider? I have just noticed the corsair refurbs that Scan do. Are these a good buy, or am I buying trouble? I've seen a few bargains out in the market such as a Riotoro Keyboard that seemed to launch at around £150 but Riotoro seem to be dead. I can get their "Ghostwriter Prism" for £55 with Cherry Black keys. This seems a good buy but I am concerned that the software is "beta" and has issues as well as being dead. I'm also concerned that any warranty would be worthless.
    I own the ghostwriter prism brown, keyboard is fine but their software is piece of s***.

Registered+
    Thanks

SteelSeries Apex 7 mechanical switch keyboard

Registered+
    Thanks

I'm a fan of the Coolermaster MasterKeys range - they're perhaps a bit too bare bones for some, but I prefer their high quality build over some of the alternatives with tacked-on features.

Thanks

I bought a Ducky One and it's amazing. Great build quality, switches have a nice feel to them. Maybe it's a bit too much for a casual user, but if you're using pc a lot I would 100% recommend it.

Registered+
    Thanks

if you dont care that much about the software like Corsair CUE or Razer Synapse, which is mostly just lighting effects and macros, then every mainstream mechanical keyboard is more or less the same a £20 no name with brown switches will feel pretty much identical to any other keyboard with brown switches.

find a layout you like, and search from there. if you dont have any need for synapse, cue or rainbows i wouldn't look too much into the big name brands as thats their only selling point.

If you want stuff like bluetooth and a small compact 60% id recommend the Anne Pro tho, if you want to try multiple switches the mechkeyboard community has to offer then look at the GMMK from glorious as these have hot swap switch connectors.

if you just want an average mech that has the main feature of being a mechanical keyboard just get anything (make sure its not the fake mechanical tho)

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Disputes View Post
    if you dont care that much about the software like Corsair CUE or Razer Synapse, which is mostly just lighting effects and macros, then every mainstream mechanical keyboard is more or less the same a £20 no name with brown switches will feel pretty much identical to any other keyboard with brown switches.

find a layout you like, and search from there. if you dont have any need for synapse, cue or rainbows i wouldn't look too much into the big name brands as thats their only selling point.

If you want stuff like bluetooth and a small compact 60% id recommend the Anne Pro tho, if you want to try multiple switches the mechkeyboard community has to offer then look at the GMMK from glorious as these have hot swap switch connectors.

if you just want an average mech that has the main feature of being a mechanical keyboard just get anything (make sure its not the fake mechanical tho)
    You could pop into the local Currys/PC world (once lockdowns over) and try a few model there. The Corsair ones felt good, but I'm not sure about the font.

Logitech ones I probably love the most on a cosmetic perspective as I'm not into crazy RGB lighting. Even the one with Romer-G switch felt nice enough

I'm using a cheap mechanical keyboard (Rapoo v500) and I can say the expensive ones do feel slot better to type on.

Thanks

Another vote for the Ducky. It's at the top end of your budget but absolutely worth it.

Registered+
    Thanks

I've had the same Das model s for so long that i'm starting to resent quite how hardy it is, I would love an excuse to try another brand. They're a bit more subtle too so that might win some brownie points. You do get a nice bit of customisation with mech keyboards as they age by adding new key caps if you get a keyboard with cherry mx switches.

I would look at a Ducky too though, if you've got the budget they have a fantastic name among enthusiasts.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Jager's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4 iP55 Socket 1156 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Processor
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP Performance Memory modules 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 2133MHz CL9 Blue
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 FTW Signature2 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
      • PSU:
      • OCZ Stealth XStream 600W PSU - SLI Ready ATX2.2 12cm Fan
      • Case:
      • Antec 300 (standard ATX)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64-bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG E2240S
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 500mb Fibre

I have a DREVO Blademaster TE and love it. I wanted one with backlights and it stood out for obvious reasons (if you look up videos on YouTube). I just have it one one solid colour but it's highly customisable

Registered+
    Thanks

As much as I'd love to try a mechanical keyboard it seems there is very (very, very) little love for split/ergo style mechanical keyboards.

Mostly all seem to be regular or compact rectangular designs.

Having used a split/ergo kb for well over a decade now I couldn't go back.

Registered+
    Thanks

Have you tried logitech g512? Beautiful and quiet keyboard for around £60.

Thread Information