Thread: Shuttle SB95PV2 and SB81P

Thanks

Shuttle SB95PV2 and SB81P

I am planning to build a system around either a Shuttle SB95PV2 or a SB81P.

I plan to use all 3 of the 3.5" bays for hard drives.

My concern is about the amount of heat that would be generated in such a small confined space, and the fact that there is no option for any cooling!

Also, I wonder if the PSU is able to cope with 3 hard drives, optical drive and all the other stuff in the PC?

Would I be pushing my luck in using 3 hard drives? Is gonna be too hot in there??

Thanks

Thanks
    You can use 3 hard drives, but I would imagine your choice of graphics cards will be crucial when it comes to heat. As will your choice of hard drive of course.

Thanks
    from my experience that's gonna be hot! psu should cope tho.

is it not possible to sell 2 of them and get one of the new big 300-400gb ones? ....just a thought

Thanks
    Are either of these two Shuttles, the SB81P or SB95V2, noisy?

Also, does anyone know if you can change the stock fans in these Shuttles?

Thanks
    Hello, new member here.

I just built a new system based on the SB95PV2 and I must say I am rather pleased with it.
    Here are the specs:

- Shuttle SB95P v2
    - Intel P4 3.2GHz with 2MB cache (640 edition)
    - 1GB OCZ Platinum Enhanced Rev. 2 Limited Edition DDR2-PC4200 (model OCZ25331024EBPER2)
    - Sapphire Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3
    - Samsung SP1213C 120GB / 8MB cache / 7200rpm SATA drive
    - Maxtor 7Y250M0 250GB / 8MB cache / 7200rpm SATA drive
    - LG 16x Dual Layer DVD burner model GSA-4163BK

As you can see, I only have two drives in the system, and I'm using the Samsung for OS/applications and the Maxtor for games/mp3s/movies.
    Using SpeedFan, the system reported fairly high temperatures on the Maxtor disk (as high as 61C).
    I had both drives installed on the top tray, with the Samsung closer to the fans in the back. I swapped their positions and the Maxtor is now a little happier, but still runs a little hot (which I'm told is common).
    I suggest you find out the average running temperatures reported by the manufacturer of whichever disks you are thinking about using, and then use SpeedFan to tweak fan speeds if needed to insure proper airflow.

As far as power requirements, I think you should be OK, since Shuttle designed the SB95PV2 with scenarios such as yours in mind. You may also consider using a video card that doesn't require an additional power connection, to minimize any extra load on the power supply.

Finally, as far as noise, it's very quiet =)

Quote Originally Posted by milanlad
    Are either of these two Shuttles, the SB81P or SB95V2, noisy?

Also, does anyone know if you can change the stock fans in these Shuttles?

Thanks
    Hello, my system as followed:

- Shuttle SB81P
    - Intel P4 775 3.0GHz
    - 1GB kingston PC3200
    - 2 x SATA Maxtor 80GB 7200rpm
    - ATI X800 XL 256MB
    - Pioneer 16X Dual Layer DVD-RW

My system was pretty quiet without plugging X800LT, but it gets noise afterward. The temperature in system has risen 3 - 4 degree after plugging X800LT.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codice
    Hello, new member here.

I just built a new system based on the SB95PV2 and I must say I am rather pleased with it.
    Here are the specs:

- Shuttle SB95P v2
    - Intel P4 3.2GHz with 2MB cache (640 edition)
    - 1GB OCZ Platinum Enhanced Rev. 2 Limited Edition DDR2-PC4200 (model OCZ25331024EBPER2)
    - Sapphire Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3
    - Samsung SP1213C 120GB / 8MB cache / 7200rpm SATA drive
    - Maxtor 7Y250M0 250GB / 8MB cache / 7200rpm SATA drive
    - LG 16x Dual Layer DVD burner model GSA-4163BK

As you can see, I only have two drives in the system, and I'm using the Samsung for OS/applications and the Maxtor for games/mp3s/movies.
    Using SpeedFan, the system reported fairly high temperatures on the Maxtor disk (as high as 61C).
    I had both drives installed on the top tray, with the Samsung closer to the fans in the back. I swapped their positions and the Maxtor is now a little happier, but still runs a little hot (which I'm told is common).
    I suggest you find out the average running temperatures reported by the manufacturer of whichever disks you are thinking about using, and then use SpeedFan to tweak fan speeds if needed to insure proper airflow.

As far as power requirements, I think you should be OK, since Shuttle designed the SB95PV2 with scenarios such as yours in mind. You may also consider using a video card that doesn't require an additional power connection, to minimize any extra load on the power supply.

Finally, as far as noise, it's very quiet =)
    Welcome to the forum Codice.

I'm very interested in the SB95V2, but I was just concerned about fan noise and heat as it would be left switch on all the time.

May I ask you:

1. How many fans are there in total?
    2. What size are the stock fans, and are they the type that you can change?
    3. What is the build quality like?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by milanlad
    Welcome to the forum Codice.

I'm very interested in the SB95V2, but I was just concerned about fan noise and heat as it would be left switch on all the time.

May I ask you:

1. How many fans are there in total?
    2. What size are the stock fans, and are they the type that you can change?
    3. What is the build quality like?

Thanks
    Let me see if I can remember:

1) There are 5 fans in the case, 2 dedicated to cooling the processor, two smaller fans in the top on the rear of the case, and one large fan in the center of the back of the case

2) The 2 fans dedicated to cooling the processor near the front of the case, one 'sucking in' air from one side of the case the other pushing out the warm air from the opposite side, I'm not sure about the size, but they seem to be about 10-12cm wide.
    The two fans in the top rear of the case seem to be about 8cm wide, and the large fan under them seems to be about 15cm.
    Like I said, I'm not sure of the exact sizes, but I think I'm close. There is a review of the SB95Pv2 on HardOCP with a lot of pictures which you might want to check out
    here.
    You might be able to change the case fans... as far as the CPU cooling fans, I'm not sure. I think you will possibly void your warranty if you replace the stock fans, so you might want to do some research about it before changing anything. I'm sure there are others here in the forums that have done this, so you might want to do a search.

3) Construction seems pretty solid. The cables are all routed for you to their proper positions so that nothing is in the way when you assemble your system. Overall, I was very pleased with it, considering it was my first SFF system.

Thread Information