Thread: shuttle sb61g2 heat problem

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks

shuttle sb61g2 heat problem

Just yesterday I noticed that my system and cpu temperature have been very high at idle and load. Before this problem my shuttle had an average temp of 35C system and cpu. Now it's over 50C.
    Yes the fans are all in working order and my CPU Temp Tag in the BIOS is set at 45C. I compelete reset the BIOS and took apart the shuttle cleaning out the dust and whatnot. Still I can't figure out why it's running so hot.
    What's weird is that whenever I restart the pc the fan doesn't go on full for a few seconds when before it went on immediatley. I really don't know what the problem is can someone help? Thank you.

btw here are my specs:
    shuttle sb61g2 v3 (with the 250watt ps and ICE heat-pipe)
    P4 2.4ghz
    512MB ram
    nvidia fx5700

Amateur photographer Hans Voralberg's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say a p4 temp of 5x ( <55) is anything to panic of, i think it's pretty normal if it a Presscot and it's in a Shuttle.

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Voralberg
    I wouldn't say a p4 temp of 5x ( <55) is anything to panic of, i think it's pretty normal if it a Presscot and it's in a Shuttle.
    Um well I usually never even hit 50C unless I'm playing like HL2 but now I can't even play it because it jumps past 70C and Motherboard Monitor warns me. Any suggestions?

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Ok so now it's idling at 66C currently which is WAY too hot. I don't think the CPU temp tag in the BIOS is working because I set it to 35C and the fan is barely running! Please help

Thanks
    • Curly's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock 939-Sata 2
      • CPU:
      • Opteron 165 @ 2.52
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Geil Value Ram
      • Storage:
      • 900gb in various HD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7800 gtx
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580W
      • Case:
      • Globalwin
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung syncMaster 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 4mb Virgin Media Cable
    Try speedfan Here it will tell you what your temps and fan speeds are and you can try setting the fan to 100% from within the program.

Curly

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Maybe worth taking the ICE off, giving the chip & heatsink a good clean & re-applying thermal grease. Should help the heat transfer from the chip to the cooler, especially if you happened to be using thermal pads.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    Try speedfan Here it will tell you what your temps and fan speeds are and you can try setting the fan to 100% from within the program.

Curly
    I tried Speedfan and I couldn't control Fan1 which is the fan for the CPU. I also couldn't control Fan3 which is the chipset fan but I kind of knew that.

Is there anything that would cause Smartfan in the BIOS to not work? I think that is the problem. ALSO, when I change the speed of the fan in the BIOS to, for example, Medium speed why does it completely shut off the fan after a while? Isn't it supposed to stay at medium since that is what I have specified? If I understand Smartfan correctly, you set a Temp Tag to a desired temperature and if it goes over that temperature it increments the fan speed but it's not doing this at all. Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 0iD
    Maybe worth taking the ICE off, giving the chip & heatsink a good clean & re-applying thermal grease. Should help the heat transfer from the chip to the cooler, especially if you happened to be using thermal pads.

I doubt that would cause a jump of 30 degrees though

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks
    I just vaguely remembered something that might give a clue to this problem. I remember seeing a Machine Check Exception error when I restarted in Windows and I'm pretty sure I started having problems right after that. I wasn't sure what it was and just clicked OK. But it doesn't seem like a windows problem when I'm in the BIOS checking the "PC Health" because the temperature rises slowly and the fan doesn't kick in with Smartfan. Grr.

Thanks
    This might be a conincidence but my shuttle sb61g2 temperatures have shot through the roof too. I got really worried at first but then when I actually felt temperatures using my good ol' fingers they seemed exactly the same as before. It could just be a date thing???

Try feeling the temps to see if the cpu does get to 70, if the cpu was 70 then some serious heat would be blown out the back.

Check the fan rotation speeds - they might still be working but at a slower speed due to wear and tear.

If the smart fan thing is messing up 1. update bios and 2. use a 4 pin adapter and plug fan directly into psu at required voltage.

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy!!!
    This might be a conincidence but my shuttle sb61g2 temperatures have shot through the roof too. I got really worried at first but then when I actually felt temperatures using my good ol' fingers they seemed exactly the same as before. It could just be a date thing???

Try feeling the temps to see if the cpu does get to 70, if the cpu was 70 then some serious heat would be blown out the back.

Check the fan rotation speeds - they might still be working but at a slower speed due to wear and tear.

If the smart fan thing is messing up 1. update bios and 2. use a 4 pin adapter and plug fan directly into psu at required voltage.
    Weird that you're having a similar problem...

I'm pretty sure the temperature reading is accurate because I've taken the shuttle apart to clean it and it definitely felt very hot. I think the fan is working at a very low speed like you said. I really don't feel much air coming out the back. The BIOS is the most recent actually, I think sometime late in 2004. I think I'm going to buy a new fan but I seriously do not think it's the fan, it's only a year old.

zim
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Oh by the way does anyone know what kind of fan is the best for the heat-pipe as well as what size it is? I want one that peforms well but isn't too expensive.
    Last edited by zim; 05-04-2005 at 05:14 AM.

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    Go for something rad like this
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thread Information