Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did my OC cause this?

Thanks

Did my OC cause this?

Notice it says no CPU! I had uped the bus to 233 and the voltage by 6.0% I was running 3Dmark 05, the gpu test just finished and the cpu rendering begain when my PC gave me a BSD! When I rebooted I got this...

Code:
    Event Type:	Warning
    Event Source:	WMIxWDM
    Event Category:	None
    Event ID:	106
    Date:		4/4/2005
    Time:		12:10:32 AM
    User:		N/A
    Computer:	MYTH-6YEWH0HZBR
    Description:
    Machine Check Event reported is a corrected error.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I am now afraid to atempt that OC again... Any ideas? Did the cpu crap out?

Thanks
    why dont you try resetting the bios? theres usually a jumper u can reset it to defaults with, or if it doesnt, try removing the button battery for 10secs. Hope this helps

Thanks

ok look at the times this is hapening! wtf???? Can some one smarter then me figure this out? The OS is 64 bit XP Pro RC2

Thanks
    Seems like a WMI error to me. Have you checked the KB?
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thanks
    What CPU is it?

Thanks
    3500+ winchester.

Does it happen at stock and on Win XP 32bit SP2?

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thanks
    Why the hell would he want to overclock a 3500+ Winchester?

What the hell can it not run?

Sounds a bit damn stupid to me......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firelord
    3500+ winchester.

Does it happen at stock and on Win XP 32bit SP2?

nope and it didnt when it was OC'ed either... The odd thing is it dont bsd when I'm not gaming, I just get an error and look at the times of the errors! evry one minute at 33 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by Firelord
    Seems like a WMI error to me. Have you checked the KB?

Say what???

Thanks
    Check the Microsoft Knowledge Base WMI = Windows Management Information

Why not overclock a 3500? Doesn't seem stupid to me!

Why not get more for free?

Thanks
    64bit xp?! beta version?

go to microsofts website and search for wmi wmd! wmi shouldn't be running anyway!

Thanks
    wmi=windows management intrumentation
    wdm = windows driver mode
    mca = machine check architecture.

might be useful to get that developement tool from MS, and see wht the errors are
    Last edited by richard-wong; 04-04-2005 at 09:49 PM.

Thanks
    Types of MCA Events

All MCA events fall within two categories based on the hardware reporting mechanism used. These are described in the SAL 3.0 Specification as follows:

CPU errors. Errors that either occur within components of the CPU itself, such as the caches, or that are detected on the CPU front side bus (FSB) during an external transaction.

Platform errors. Errors that are delivered to the CPU through external pins that are provided for reporting MCA events. Further detail on these pins is provided in section four of the SAL 3.0 Specification.

Any hardware error event that does not fall within these two categories is not delivered or processed as an MCA event. There is some flexibility in this model. System designers can connect hardware error event signals to the pins provided on the CPU to ensure that the errors are processed as MCA events. However, an MCA event must successfully identify the component that failed, or the component that is likely to fail in the future. For peripherals on an I/O bus such as peripheral connect interface (PCI), there is no standardized direct link from peripheral devices to the system chipset that could be used to raise an MCA event that identifies the failing component. MCA does provide full error handling for the standard PCI fatal error types such as PERR and SERR.
    Severity Categories

MCA events can be further categorized based on the severity of the error. Each error delivered to the operating system falls within one of the following categories:

Non-corrected or fatal errors. Errors that could lead to non-recoverable data loss or corruption. This type of error will cause the system to be restarted. Examples might be a parity error on the PCI bus or a double-bit error correction code (ECC) error in system memory.

Note: Non-corrected or fatal errors are referred to as machine check abort (MCA) events. This term causes confusion with Machine Check Architecture (MCA). In this paper, MCA always refers to Machine Check Architecture.

Corrected errors. Errors that can be corrected either by the hardware or by some level of software. The occurrence of a corrected error can indicate instability in the hardware and can be used to predict future fatal errors. The more sources of corrected errors within the system, the better the quality of the system’s error prediction. Examples of this type of error might be a double-bit ECC error in a clean cache block or a single-bit ECC error in system memory.

There are two types of corrected error:

A corrected machine check (CMC) error is a corrected error that was detected by the CPU.

A corrected platform error (CPE) is a corrected error that was detected by the platform hardware.

Thanks
    can u access the event log?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richard-wong
    can u access the event log?

This? This is the cause...

Thanks
    on the picture it had evetlog, can u click on that and tell me exactly what it said?

the warning generated is caused by a CPU corrected error. it means something has been corrupted in the cpu and it was corrected by the cpu, and thus the warning. the eventlog shud have further details as exactly what the problem was.

so simply put your over clocking did result the error, and i am basically trying to make sense of what the warning means. (microsfot is not very detailed about this, but you can try the help and support come with your windows and search for MCA warning etc and see if you can any further info)

Thanks
    Did you install an A64 driver on XP-64?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information