Thread: Which Noctua model for "sweet spot" cooling of the 5600X is best?

Registered+
    Thanks

Which Noctua model for "sweet spot" cooling of the 5600X is best?

I'm starting to build a new PC and have been thinking of switching to air cooling (previously used the H55 for my previous build.

I know the 5600X like to run hotter than what most people feel used to and that AMD say this is normal. However, I'm trying to figure out what is the sweet spot in Notcua's range for the 5600X.

Can anyone shed any light/give advice based on their current use/what they know?

Thanks

Re: Which Noctua model for "sweet spot" cooling of the 5600X is best?

I have to nh-d15 and it is probably the best air cooler on the market atm. Fans run super quiet but you'd have to check if it can fit in your case.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by del2mepls View Post
    I have to nh-d15 and it is probably the best air cooler on the market atm. Fans run super quiet but you'd have to check if it can fit in your case.
    Thanks for replying! Yeah I was looking at that model (although it's mostly out of stock here in the UK at the moment!). I'm looking at getting everything set up in a Meshify 2 case and believe it fits but not sure if I'll be able to fit 4x 8gb vengeance lpx ram in as well with both fans on the nh-d15!

Registered+
    Thanks

Can confirm. I have the NH-D15 and I am happy. Because I have Corsair Vengance RGB, I had to replace one of the fans with a Noctua A15 because of RAM clearance. My wife's computer has also an NH-D15, but Corsair LPX and I was able to fit both 140mm fans.

5. Received thanks from:

jwhitbread (24-02-2021)

Thanks

I just picked myself up a Noctua NH-D15s chromax black for the nice price of £79.62. Honestly, for that price, I think it's a pretty great deal for the quality of cooling you get. Yeah you only get one fan instead of two, but there are slight tweaks to the cooler, such as being slightly further away from the pcie slots to give more clearance for pressing down the pcie slot tab to remove a gpu. I have also heard it's only around 1-2 degrees hotter without the second fan, but seeing as my ram is too tall anyway, I wouldn't be able to use the second fan on the intended side of the d15. I was honestly pretty surprised to find the chromax black one for so cheap but I'm glad I did! It's gonna be the perfect cooler for my 4000D Airflow.

7. Received thanks from:

jwhitbread (24-02-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

I do also recommend the Noctua DH-15 - beware though that it is massive and will require a larger case. You'll need to check your RAM clearance, but easily avoided if you do one fan mode, or look at the DH-15s. Chromax Black is beautiful and you can get a heatplate cover HC4 for extra aesthetics.

Thread Information