Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time for an upgrade/new build

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Time for an upgrade/new build

Quote Originally Posted by soulblighter666 View Post
    Think it did but I watched it from the beginning, I had FM21 on the other monitor while it played. 3 years I'm surprised by that but that's easy to do, you would think I would of picked something up by now I've had computers since the 80's

I got the PSU when I built the system which I think was 2018. If anyone in to cable management they don't want to see my case, I have wires stuck in to empty drive trays as it has so many redundant wires.

Thanks again
    Yea the cables won't look great, and I'm not sure about the quality of that particular PSU, but it's powerful enough to power a system with the new GPU's and it's not that old, so I would re-use it, as long as its a decent quality one

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
    Hopefully the links to the videos took you to the summary average charts - so you can just look at those and not need to go through the whole video!

Based on that, personally I disagree with the 3700x for 1440p gaming on a budget, as it costs £100 more than the 3600, and you'll see fps gains of 1-2%, whereas if you spent the extra £100 on a 3070 vs a 3060ti you'd see fps gains of ~10%, so that would be where my money would go. I would think that the 3600 will easily last you 3 years, if not longer

Having said that, re-using motherboard/case/psu (how old is your current psu?), does free up some extra money from your budget, so this could allow you to get the better cpu as well
    I think that is a very short term view. Even in CB2077,then Ryzen 7 3700X is around 10% to 15% at qHD with a higher end GPU even now. Even my mate who had a Ryzen 7 2700 which was mildly overclocked,upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3700X when they got a RTX3060TI. At qHD the Ryzen 7 3700X was noticeably better in CPU limited areas.Considering the consoles have 8 Zen2 cores now,what do you think is going to happen in 2~4 years as games use more cores?

Most games now are made for the 8 weak Atom class Jaguar cores of the previous generation. Despite this,we went from the 4C/4T CPUs being king in 2017,to 6C/12T CPUs being a sweetspot in 2020. Even last year a highly overclocked Core i5 7600K went from thrashing a Ryzen 5 1600,to in many instances not even beating it in average FPS,and in many cases loosing in minimums.

The OP isn't on a budget,ie,they have £1000. This is why I would suggest if they can afford a Ryzen 7 5800X or even a Core i5 10700KF it would be a good baseline if they can get a new motherboard,or the Ryzen 7 3700X if they want to keep the old motherboard.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 15-02-2021 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    Comparison with the Arctic Freezer:

http://www.pureoverclock.com/wp-cont...rmal-Curve.jpg

Considering it comes included for free it isn't that bad. Also does appear to me the fan curve seems to be part of the problem with the cooler.
    That's a meaningless graph. My temps haven't gone down with the eSports 34, instead the cpu has detected it has more headroom and boosts on all cores by about 0.1GHz. The noise is probably comparable, but I find it more pleasant.

My take away would be, the 3700X heatsink can be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't factor it into any buying decision. If the OP is gaming, then their ideal CPU is a 5800X, or a 5600X in a squeeze (given the cores are faster, so it's like a 7 core 3000 series at all core tasks). The 3700X is a really nice budget option to re-use the motherboard. Considering the fan is not the long play.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That's a meaningless graph. My temps haven't gone down with the eSports 34, instead the cpu has detected it has more headroom and boosts on all cores by about 0.1GHz. The noise is probably comparable, but I find it more pleasant.

My take away would be, the 3700X heatsink can be a nice bonus, but I wouldn't factor it into any buying decision. If the OP is gaming, then their ideal CPU is a 5800X, or a 5600X in a squeeze (given the cores are faster, so it's like a 7 core 3000 series at all core tasks). The 3700X is a really nice budget option to re-use the motherboard. Considering the fan is not the long play.
    So for £30 you got a 100MHZ higher boost,which probably works out as 2% better,and a bit better noise? A bit pointless IMHO,especially if its not lower profile! Also it appears the cooler isn't as worthless as you think as it sells for between £25~£50 online,which means people do think it is mostly fine:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

The cooler is definitely something should factor into the purchase,as the motherboard VRM and heatsink will benefit from a horizontal cooler,or if you have a cooler it is something you can sell on for decent money.

So either you can stick with one,or get a different cooler for free. So it is entirely an added bonus and AMD has stopped bundling coolers with the Zen3 CPU,and included the worst cooler with their Ryzen 5 5600X.

The Wraith Stealth is horrible - its only quiet because it runs very hot. I tried using one for a while and it got changed out. I have had not only the Stealth,but both versions of the Spire and the Prism. The same with almost all other AMD builds I have done - its OK as a stop-gap. The Wraith Spire is noticeably better,even in the V2 version with its inferior core.

I do game streaming/recording and the Ryzen 5 5600X is beaten by the Ryzen 7 3700X once you have decent recording settings. I tried the Ryzen 5 2600 and Ryzen 5 3600,and you just saw framedrops with those,whereas the Ryzen 7 was faster.

Also in some of the multi-core stuff I do the Ryzen 7 3700X is faster. One of them is DxO Photolab(you can run multiple images in parallel). At some higher settings the 6C CPUs,can't handle it. The same goes with some of the video transcoding stuff,I use especially with more streams. Considering mine cost just a hair above £200 with a damaged box,the Ryzen 5 5600X wasn't worth the £300 price at the time.

If it was closer in price I might have seriously considered it,but it wasn't. But even now Ryzen 5 5600X pricing is bonkers compared to what you can get the Ryzen 7 5800X for,as part of bundle deals,etc.

But I would only really recommend the Ryzen 7 3700X as a drop-in upgrade now. Intel pricing has changed things for full upgrades.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-02-2021 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

A Core i5 10600KF is now under £190. Even the Core i7 10700KF is now £280,and Intel said the H470/Z490 will have access to Rocketlake. Even the Ryzen 7 3700X only makes sense due to motherboard re-use,but its beaten by the Core i7 10700KF in games. Basically AMD makes very little sense between £150~£300 now.

Even the 10C/20T Core i7 10850K is Ryzen 7 5800X money,but you have to consider it needs a lot of cooling,so makes less sense. Hence why it probably is a better buy over the Intel CPU.

Also,I just checked if the Ryzen 5 5600X prices have dropped. In fact its not even available and prices are over £300:

Ebuyer~£320

https://www.ebuyer.com/1126988-amd-r...0-100000065box

CCL Computers ~£334

https://www.cclonline.com/product/33...ooler/CPU0679/

OcUK ~£350

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-r...cp-3cc-am.html

Currys list it at £280 but you can't add it to your basket.

Considering a Ryzen 7 5800X is only a bit more expensive,and you can get a Core i5 10600KF for £185 right now,the pricing makes no sense. The Ryzen 7 3700X makes sense if you are already on AM4,but a Core i7 10700KF is generally faster,although you need to factor in a CPU cooler.

However,the Core i7 10700F is £240,which has a crappy Intel cooler on it.

Put a better cooler on it,set the motherboard to extra clockspeed boost profiles and it will probably beat a Ryzen 7 3700X in gaming.

Edit!!

Even the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't look too great in comparison.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-02-2021 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    So for £30 you got a 100MHZ higher boost,which probably works out as 2% better,and a bit better noise?
    No, I paid £30 for a less invasive PC. Many people won't care, I do. I write software for a living, my machine switches from idle to 16 threads to one thread and back to idle constantly and I sit next to it all day.

The extra 100MHz was an oddity I wasn't expecting at the time, but I mentioned it because the idea of "temperature under load" is nebulous when the load changes with the cooler properties.

Anyway, the OP wants to stay AMD and wants to game. With a decent budget, a 5800X seems the obvious choice. The case has a 200mm fan on the front, I don't think cooler choice is going to be a big problem

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    No, I paid £30 for a less invasive PC. Many people won't care, I do. I write software for a living, my machine switches from idle to 16 threads to one thread and back to idle constantly and I sit next to it all day.

The extra 100MHz was an oddity I wasn't expecting at the time, but I mentioned it because the idea of "temperature under load" is nebulous when the load changes with the cooler properties.

Anyway, the OP wants to stay AMD and wants to game. With a decent budget, a 5800X seems the obvious choice. The case has a 200mm fan on the front, I don't think cooler choice is going to be a big problem
    Well you should be also soundproofing your PC too! I had aluminium SFF cases,and steel deadens sound much better. I found using adhesive sound deadening foam helped quite a bit to muffle the sounds even in aluminium cases. Also working on airflow not only makes a big difference to how much fans ramp up,but also how you funnel the airflow can have interesting effects on noise. In my current SFF system simply working on optimising airflow and fan position made a noticeable difference in perceived sound. However as I showed the Wraith Prism actually sells for silly money,so it can pay towards a new cooler if you want to.

The OP seems to be OK with considering Intel in later post.Many have not realised how much the Intel street prices have dropped,which has coincided with AMD prices rising. Even the Zen2 parts cost more than 12 months ago!

Then they changed their mind and thought it would be easier to upgrade with their current motherboard,ie,why the Ryzen 7 3700X make sense. The Ryzen 5 5600X makes no sense at all now,since its over £300 in any place which has stock,and Currys won't even let you add it to the basket. The Ryzen 7 5800X is over £400 at most places,so again only make sense if you get it with a money off voucher on Ebay or part of a bundle.

Ultimately,the Core i5 10600KF is also faster than the Zen2 offerings at the same price anyway,and the Zen3 offerings are overpriced at current street prices,especially under £300. I can't see how the Ryzen 5 5600X makes any sense now at £280~£330,when the Core i5 10600KF is so much cheaper.

So even if the Ryzen 7 5800X looks the best bet,it only makes sense not at its £400+ RRP. Getting a Core i7 10700KF at £280 against a £400+ Ryzen 7 5800X would make more sense,as you spend that extra £100 saved on more RAM,a faster GPU,etc. Its different if the price difference is closer to £50~£70. But the issue as they don't overclock a Core i7 10700F is only £240,and in suitable motherboard with a better cooler will boost much higher,if you plonk the CPU in a higher TDP bracket. So now that difference is even more. Sure Zen3 is faster,but honestly most people are still GPU limited.

AMD also by removing a decent stock cooler,has removed that advantage over Intel. The OP is using the stock cooler on their Ryzen 5 1600 from what I can gather.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 16-02-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Thanks

The only reasons I wanted to stay AMD was due to Intel always seeming to be more expensive. Also I was always led to believe AMD was better for gaming, so if Intel prices are dropping and I can get a better deal it be silly not to.

I plan to upgrade the GPU once everything back to normal. Also I'm assuming I don't need to bother about PCI 4.0?

That's correct I'm using the stock cooler. I'm happy to pay extra for a cooler, plus I can always have it as my valentine present which I banked lol

Again thank you for the advice, you are giving me a lot to think about.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Even if it's relatively useless I'm always fascinated by the discussion of the minutiae by people who know what they're talking about!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information