Thread: My son is after a new PC for streaming. he has a budget of £1000

Ravens Nest

My son is after a new PC for streaming. he has a budget of £1000

Hello everyone, my son wants a new PC built, he streams online via twitch and YouTube.

His current PC lags badly when he streams anything other than Minecraft and Counter-strike, he is currently trying to stream RUST which he is having the most problems with.

His current PC is an Intel Xeon 1230 v3(Equivalent to an i7-4770) with a Asrock fatal1ty z97 killer, Nvidia 1070, Crucial MX500 SSD 1tb a 550W corsair PSU and 16gb DDR3 1600mhz

He wants a AMD Ryzen 5900X CPU, a new heatsink and fan (Maybe a Noctua NH-D15?) 16gb-32gb DDR4 3600mhz or higher (I think 3733mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen), a B550? motherboard, maybe a NVME drive (But I think he could reuse his MX500 to be honest)and I guess at least a 650W PSU.

Any ideas for good build suggestions? I told him he should keep his Nvidia 1070 (He wants a Nvidia 3070 minimum, but prices and availability are shocking..) as he enjoys the speed of his existing PC for gaming its streaming that is tanking the performance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
    Last edited by Ravens Nest; 01-03-2021 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: My son is after a new PC for streaming. he has a budget of £1000

I am not sure whether he considers that the Ryzen 9 5900X is as rare as Hen's teeth,and you have more chance of getting it as part of a prebuilt PC. Its also going for over £600 on pre-order at many places,and people have waited ages for pre-orders to get fulfilled. Also TBH,do you really need a £600+ CPU for games such as Minecraft,CS or even Rust?? I get the impression these games tax only a few cores.

The easier Zen3 part to get is apparently the Ryzen 7 5800X which is 8C/16T,and you can also get the 12C/24T Ryzen 9 3900 was a reasonable price too. Both of these should not only give you more single core performance than a Xeon E3 1230 V3,but two to three the number of threads that the Xeon E3 has.

A Ryzen 9 3900 non-X can be had as part of a bundle for under £450:
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-9...pu-bundle.html
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-9...pu-bundle.html

You can get the Ryzen 7 5800X as part of bundles for around £500:
    https://www.awd-it.co.uk/amd-ryzen-7...pu-bundle.html

WRT,RAM I would go for 32GB of 3600MHZ Micron E-die or Hynix C-die containing RAM.

Edit!!

Another thing some streamers do,is have a separate PC to handle the streaming load,using a capture card:
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-dual-pc-stream

3. Received thanks from:

Ravens Nest

I don't think he realises how hard it is to get the 5900X yes but I did. (I shows him your post and a few sites where its out of stock and the price is disgusting too)

He also streams the COD games too, I said to him that a 5800X would stream quite well with minimal judder in the videos (I know he wants it perfect) Also the 3900X is available at a reasonably good price, and would do him and have no judder and not too much FPS loss really.

I told my son about a separate PC for handling the streaming but he does not want two PC's on his desktop. (But great suggestion thanks)

Is AWD a good company to deal with? and MSI have they improved as have had issues with them? (years ago though)

Thanks about the ram suggestions too very interesting..

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens Nest View Post
    I don't think he realises how hard it is to get the 5900X yes but I did. (I shows him your post and a few sites where its out of stock and the price is disgusting too)

He also streams the COD games too, I said to him that a 5800X would stream quite well with minimal judder in the videos (I know he wants it perfect) Also the 3900X is available at a reasonably good price, and would do him and have no judder and not too much FPS loss really.

I told my son about a separate PC for handling the streaming but he does not want two PC's on his desktop. (But great suggestion thanks)

Is AWD a good company to deal with? and MSI have they improved as have had issues with them? (years ago though)

Thanks about the ram suggestions too very interesting..
    I think AWD-IT don't look too bad,ie,and above Ebuyer for example. Apparently sometimes a bit slow response to CS issues,but I don't know if its just the current issues due to the pandemic. I had it with CCL Computers too who are normally decent. One of my mates got the Ryzen 9 3900 non-X bundle with an MSI B450 Tomahawk from them last year and has been happy. The Ryzen 9 3900 non-X should only be a few percent slower overall than a Ryzen 9 3900X.

MSI make some of the best AM4 motherboards so far. The only issues I can think off can affect any of the 500 series AM4 motherboards like the USB issue mentioned here:
    https://forums.hexus.net/hexus-news/...sb-issues.html

But it does not affect everybody. There is also a wider hit and miss issue with 2.5GbE LAN chips in general. Intel and Realtek 2.5GbE LAN chips have had some issues on both socket AM4 and the latest Intel sockets,but again it does not affect everybody.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-03-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Hello everyone, my son wants a new PC built, he streams online via twitch and YouTube.

His current PC lags badly when he streams anything other than Minecraft and Counter-strike, he is currently trying to stream RUST which he is having the most problems with.

His current PC is an Intel Xeon 1230 v3(Equivalent to an i7-4770) with a Asrock fatal1ty z97 killer, Nvidia 1070, Crucial MX500 SSD 1tb a 550W corsair PSU and 16gb DDR3 1600mhz

He wants a AMD Ryzen 5900X CPU, a new heatsink and fan (Maybe a Noctua NH-D15?) 16gb-32gb DDR4 3600mhz or higher (I think 3733mhz is the sweet spot for Ryzen), a B550? motherboard, maybe a NVME drive (But I think he could reuse his MX500 to be honest)and I guess at least a 650W PSU.

Any ideas for good build suggestions? I told him he should keep his Nvidia 1070 (He wants a Nvidia 3070 minimum, but prices and availability are shocking..) as he enjoys the speed of his existing PC for gaming its streaming that is tanking the performance.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks
    You might be able to save a grand if you just wipe the hard drives and reinstall the operating system. You certainly don't need to spend a grand on a new system, especially when your one is pretty capable already. If you just have the money and want to spend it then fine, I'd upgrade the PSU at the same time as motherboard and CPU and probably ram too, while keeping everything else, because they are not whatever is causing the lag in the system.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The problem he is streaming,which seems to load cores. I know when I tried screen recording with my Ryzen 5 2600 just as a test in OW,and it went from being smooth,to on and off having low FPS stutters. Having a secondary PC(it can be an old office PC with a quad core) with a capture card would probably work out cheaper.

Edit!!

Having said if GPUs were actually available,the RTX2000 series onwards can do this:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...broadcast-app/

The RTX2000 and RTX3000 series have an updated NVENC encoder which work with OBS,etc.

It might be worth installing it and seeing if it works on the GTX1070. Not sure if it will affect FPS,but its worth a try,but AFAIK they have worse media encoding capabilities than the newer GPUs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 03-03-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    The RTX2000 and RTX3000 series have an updated NVENC encoder which work with OBS,etc.
    They can, but it sounds like if you are GPU limited (which on something like a 5800X you probably are) then you get better performance taking that load away from the GPU and getting the CPU to do it in software. That was from a benchmark I saw using a 5800X and a 2080ti.

Ravens Nest

I think AWD-IT don't look too bad,ie,and above Ebuyer for example. Apparently sometimes a bit slow response to CS issues,but I don't know if its just the current issues due to the pandemic. I had it with CCL Computers too who are normally decent. One of my mates got the Ryzen 9 3900 non-X bundle with an MSI B450 Tomahawk from them last year and has been happy. The Ryzen 9 3900 non-X should only be a few percent slower overall than a Ryzen 9 3900X.

MSI make some of the best AM4 motherboards so far. The only issues I can think off can affect any of the 500 series AM4 motherboards like the USB issue mentioned here:
    https://forums.hexus.net/hexus-news/...sb-issues.html

But it does not affect everybody. There is also a wider hit and miss issue with 2.5GbE LAN chips in general. Intel and Realtek 2.5GbE LAN chips have had some issues on both socket AM4 and the latest Intel sockets,but again it does not affect everybody.
    Thanks I will check out AWD, I have suggested to my son about getting a 3090 instead but he want the 5xxx series, I think a 5800x would do him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    You might be able to save a grand if you just wipe the hard drives and reinstall the operating system. You certainly don't need to spend a grand on a new system, especially when your one is pretty capable already. If you just have the money and want to spend it then fine, I'd upgrade the PSU at the same time as motherboard and CPU and probably ram too, while keeping everything else, because they are not whatever is causing the lag in the system.
    We have already re-installed windows when I put his Crucial M500 SSD in, made no real difference (He already had a Samsung SSD before, just a size upgrade) as CAT-THE-FIFTH said its streaming that causes the problems, his PC runs butter smooth with everything else (it actually runs better than some of his friends i7 & Ryzen systems believe it or not!)

The problem he is streaming, which seems to load cores. I know when I tried screen recording with my Ryzen 5 2600 just as a test in OW,and it went from being smooth,to on and off having low FPS stutters. Having a secondary PC(it can be an old office PC with a quad core) with a capture card would probably work out cheaper.

Edit!!

Having said if GPUs were actually available,the RTX2000 series onwards can do this:
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...broadcast-app/

It might be worth installing it and seeing if it works on the GTX1070. Not sure if it will affect FPS,but its worth a try,but AFAIK they have worse media encoding capabilities than the newer GPUs.
    I will get him to try the broadcast app, on that link it says they have patched it to work with GTX cards.

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    They can, but it sounds like if you are GPU limited (which on something like a 5800X you probably are) then you get better performance taking that load away from the GPU and getting the CPU to do it in software. That was from a benchmark I saw using a 5800X and a 2080ti.
    That will be an interesting test when he gets his new CPU/motherboard, is there a way to isolate two cores for streaming and leave the other 6 cores for gaming? that might help with the stuttering issue.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

That will be an interesting test when he gets his new CPU/motherboard, is there a way to isolate two cores for streaming and leave the other 6 cores for gaming? that might help with the stuttering issue.
    If you Google CPU Affinity then you should get some instructions, but honestly that is such a major upgrade in overall performance that I'm sure while before there was no spare performance and now there should be plenty. Pinning tasks to cores is a pain, and the optimum setup changes over time as software and drivers update so you can easily end up worse off than if you just let the OS allocate threads. The only easy way down that route is Cat's suggestion of a second PC to really separate the cores

5800X seems like the right choice, games start off at a higher frame rate than the 3900X so you would need to be suffering a fair frame rate drop from streaming before you got down to the level a 3900 would start at. 5900X makes sense if recording at really high resolution and quality with software encoding. I imagine for streaming you would want the settings somewhat lower anyway.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

https://youtu.be/zCOwE9xHEfQ?t=742

That channel is a really useful resource. The Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 7 5800X seem to fall apart at the same settings,even though the latter has higher FPS.

https://youtu.be/LQgX9tSxQdI?t=402

The Ryzen 7 3700X is much better for streaming than the Ryzen 5 5600X once you increase quality settings in OBS.

That is why I think the Ryzen 9 3900 non-X is a contender.

Ravens Nest

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    If you Google CPU Affinity then you should get some instructions, but honestly that is such a major upgrade in overall performance that I'm sure while before there was no spare performance and now there should be plenty. Pinning tasks to cores is a pain, and the optimum setup changes over time as software and drivers update so you can easily end up worse off than if you just let the OS allocate threads. The only easy way down that route is Cat's suggestion of a second PC to really separate the cores

5800X seems like the right choice, games start off at a higher frame rate than the 3900X so you would need to be suffering a fair frame rate drop from streaming before you got down to the level a 3900 would start at. 5900X makes sense if recording at really high resolution and quality with software encoding. I imagine for streaming you would want the settings somewhat lower anyway.
    From the Video CAT-THE-FIFTH just posted it has OBS studio which my son could use the NVENC encoder to stream from the GPU, and I would try to experiment with it off too as going by the Youtube video a 3700X seems to run very well while streaming (So I think a 5800x is enough for him)

https://youtu.be/zCOwE9xHEfQ?t=742

That channel is a really useful resource. The Ryzen 7 3700X and Ryzen 7 5800X seem to fall apart at the same settings,even though the latter has higher FPS.

https://youtu.be/LQgX9tSxQdI?t=402

The Ryzen 7 3700X is much better for streaming than the Ryzen 5 5600X once you increase quality settings in OBS.

That is why I think the Ryzen 9 3900 non-X is a contender.
    I think your right I personally would buy the 3900 myself the only downfall is REBAR I think, and that the bundle you showed was a 450 or 470 motherboard but PCI 4.0 is 550 onwards?? not sure but they have a bundle about £500 that has a 570 .

Registered+
    Thanks

From the Video CAT-THE-FIFTH just posted it has OBS studio which my son could use the NVENC encoder to stream from the GPU, and I would try to experiment with it off too as going by the Youtube video a 3700X seems to run very well while streaming (So I think a 5800x is enough for him)

I think your right I personally would buy the 3900 myself the only downfall is REBAR I think, and that the bundle you showed was a 450 or 470 motherboard but PCI 4.0 is 550 onwards?? not sure but they have a bundle about £500 that has a 570 .
    Yeah if you really want cores then 3900 is good value still, though naturally less single core performance than a 5900x, but you have the upgrade option once stock improves. Rebar is extended to b450 motherboards now I believe and pcie4 is only really worth it for super high end SSDs which you only really need for 4k or 8k video editing. With X570 you can definitely use a 3000 series and then upgrade later on to 500, and you've got all the bonuses of pcie4. If x570 seems too expensive you can get a good b550 board as well for basically the same features apart from a few extra pcie4 lanes

14. Received thanks from:

Registered+
    Thanks
    • jamest's system
      • Motherboard:
      • B450 Tomahawk
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 CL16
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750

From the Video CAT-THE-FIFTH just posted it has OBS studio which my son could use the NVENC encoder to stream from the GPU, and I would try to experiment with it off too as going by the Youtube video a 3700X seems to run very well while streaming (So I think a 5800x is enough for him).
    Not sure if you've bought anything yet but definitely check out the "NVEnc (new)" encoder in OBS, even the GTX 1070 has a dedicated encoding chip, using NVEnc will take almost all OBS load off the CPU while adding only a tiny bit to the GPU (with NVEnc if you turn off "Look-ahread" and "Psycho Visual Tuning" OBS only has to use the main GPU cores for scene compositing which has negligible impact, the actual encoding is then done entirely on the dedicated chip), you also need to run OBS as admin otherwise you'll get stutter when using NVenc at high GPU loads. Before upgrading I had a similar system - 4790K + GTX 1070 - and I was able to stream the majority of new games with NVenc at good quality just fine.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

this is coming a bit late but have you checked your internet? and his streaming settings?
    I say this because home internet packages have very reduced up speeds, which can make streaming very limited, you need to shell out of a business line/contract to get better upload speeds.
    Also the setting he's streaming at are very important, resolution+frame rate+bit rate
    he's a page of handy info https://www.epiphan.com/blog/bandwidth-for-streaming/
    interestingly they recommend a 50% overhead, so if you look at the basic virgin media fibre package download speeds up to 100Mbps but upload is only 10Mbps so your limited to no more than 6.6Mbps for your stream
    Youtube recommends 5Mbps for 720p 30fps https://support.google.com/youtube/a...rate%2Cbitrate and 7.5Mbps if you want to stream at 60fps remember that streaming is a heck of a lot higher in quality than a zoom webcam call

What I'm saying here is investigate the issue first, better yet get your son to do a full investigation as to what is wrong, before throwing money at a "solution"
    Have you looked at cpu load when streaming vs not streaming?
    Have you looked at the stream setting?
    Have you tried to change the stream settings?
    What is your internet up speed?
    How stable is it?
    Have you checked for other things going on on your network?

There's a whole host of questions you need to ask before just saying "rubbishrubbishrubbish slow, need m0re computer!"

Thread Information