Thread: Small case Recommendation - to accommodate 5800X on air and a 1080ti ......

Syd
    Thanks
    • Syd's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 760 Classified / X570S Tomahawk / gigabyte gaming 7 1150
      • CPU:
      • I7 920@3.8 / 5800X / 4790k
      • Memory:
      • 18GB Dominator DDR3 1600 / 32GB Crucial 3600 / 16GB GSill
      • Storage:
      • 980pro Nvme / Sam840's/ Sam SM951
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 690GTX on Water/ 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • AX860/1250w Seasonic
      • Case:
      • TJ07 / PCV700
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64/ 10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • NEC 30” 3090 + ASUS 27 144HZ 1440p IPS
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro

Small case Recommendation - to accommodate 5800X on air and a 1080ti ......

Hey gang.

So I'm just toying with the idea of moving some of my kit about - currently have a Lian Li V700

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/48...iew/index.html

and a Silverstone TJ07

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silve...WYZzs2jlYfjXSQ

Both showing their age, but such beautifully put together things I am loathed to part with them, and based on the size alone (and cost!!) I will certainly be keeping the V700. It's just whether I put my new 5800X air build in the Silverstone, or if I can put it in a smaller case. Ideally I'd like as small as possible (within reason) But the new case needs to be able to accommodate an air cooled 5800x (which I plan to cool with the Noctua NH-U12A) my 1080ti, a couple of SSD's, sound card and ideally my existing PSU, which is a 180mm 1200W Seasonic. I am happy to go any motherboard form factor, this hasn't been bought yet. Don't care about side windows or flashing lights, and i don't really want a build which requires me to be a contortionist to put together.

The V700 is 210 x 400 x 496 - so i'd like something smaller than this ideally (a lot smaller if possible!!)

Do any of you fine people have experience of doing something similar?

My very first watercooled PC project log

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Re: Small case Recommendation - to accommodate 5800X on air and a 1080ti ......

ITX Cases:

Coolermaster NR200 / NR200P (P version comes with a glass side panel, but the metal side is better anyway). Around £80-100
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mast...382468002&th=1

SSUPD Meshlicious £120+
    https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

Ncase M1 v6. Check your 1080 Ti dimensions, check it will fit. £220+
    https://ncases.com/products/m1

Compact case with ATX support
    P-ATX (10L case that fits an ATX motherboard)
    https://www.sfftime.com/product-page/p-atx-v2-0

Compact ATX options
    If you just want a compact ATX case that will house all your existing components:

NZXT H510 / H510i
    Phanteks P300A
    O11 Dynamic Mini (wide, but small in height / depth)

3. Received thanks from:

Syd (02-06-2021),wazzickle (02-06-2021)

Syd
    Thanks
    • Syd's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • AX860/1250w Seasonic
      • Case:
      • TJ07 / PCV700
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64/ 10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro

Thanks Cpu

I spent the day at the beach yesterday - which was nice and took a small collection of recent custom PC mags with me to peruse whilst the OH read her most recent beachfodder !

Loved the look of the Silverstone SUGO15 and the NR200 gets lots of recommendations and awards.
    The issue I’m finding is that finding a case that will accomadate a 160-180mm psu AND a 165mm CPU cooler is proving to be an issue. I think that I am simply trying to fit too much into a small case, but ideally I don’t want to have to buy another PSU as well as the case and a brace of premium fans as the cost is simply going up and up.

A question for you SFF rig builders out there - is it a general understanding that the pint sized boxes are noisier than their more generously proportioned siblings? I am used to near silent operation in recent years and I’d like to keep it that way. And considering that the bigger coolers don’t fit and SF Psu’s are required, does this make their sound signature more noticeable? (Esp as one of the boons of a SFF is the potential to put it next to you on your desk !!)

Current conclusion - My Lian Li V700 is hardly diminutive at
    400h x 210w x 496d but perhaps I need to aim my sights a little lower with something smaller than this.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

I have an NCase M1 V6 and it's top-notch for cooling and will likely accommodate your 1080ti. It has a small footprint on your desk too.

SSUPD meshilicious has been well-reviewed.

Larger cases sometimes come with some form of sound dampening, and simply having more air between the components and the case will have a dampening effect. I guess my Ghost S1 is louder than I'm used to, so it's at the level of 'more noticeable' but I'm extremely sensitive to sounds and I don't find it disturbing. Get a good SFX PSU (corsair all the way) that doesn't necessarily ramp up until higher loads, a decent cpu cooler and then undervolt your GPU, imo, and then you can justify an NCase M1 - wouldn't go smaller as then you will run into trouble fitting your GPU or a decent cooler.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

Good airflow is obviously important for noise, but it's only a link in the chain. You need good quality components with good sized heatsinks in the first instance. I prefer air cooling as it has fewer point of failure. Get high quality compact aircooling and a GPU that balances noise and power and performance. The RTX 3060 Ti Founders is a good example of that, using only 220W compared to the the larger models, and producing only 35Db under load:

It's also very compact for it's performance, which is ideal for ITX builds. Obviously it has the pass through design so it benefits from a standard case layout (not a sandwich layout which is common in a lot of ITX cases). Thus it's ideal for the Coolermaster NR200 or Ncase M1. The Ncase M1 can be thought of as a more upmarket NR200 effectively - they work in very similar ways, and it benefits from being more compact that the NR200. However that's not to knock the NR200 as the functionality and build quality is excellent in that case too - screwless panels etc.

Check out the youtube channel Machines and More who does indepth analysis of SFF cases and has a LOT of content around the NR200, talking about all the various coolers and potential layouts for fans to maximise noise and thermal performance.

In terms of re-using your PSU, just don't, it's not worth the hassle. Spend £100 or so and get yourself a 550W to 650W SFF PSU. When done correctly SFF are fun it work in, I prefer them to bulky ATX systems to be honest as you can do them on your desk without much trouble, due to their compact size. For me the Coolermaster NR200 is still the value option to beat, it has everything - cooling capacity, compact size, build quality and tool-less access.
    Last edited by cptwhite_uk; 03-06-2021 at 12:09 AM.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

The OP said in another thread they might want to re-use a soundcard? So I think the OP needs to first decide what motherboard form factor they want first,and how many expansion slots they have. Also WRT to SFF PCs in general and having moved over to SFF systems from 2005,heat is the big issue. I would rather have a slightly more noiser system with decent temperatures,than a silent system where temperatures are worse. Generally speaking more venting(and mesh in general) will improve airflow,but it will let through more noise in general. Aluminium also will tend to deaden vibrations and noise in general when compared to denser materials like steel.

Also many cases use PCI-E riser cables - in that case,I would generally make sure the cables are of a decent quality as they can cause issues. Also if a PCI-E 4.0 option exists,I would go for one.

Level1Techs tested the PCI-E 4.0 riser cable in the SSUPD case,and its one of the best quality ones they tested:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg7jM2nXT10

A good channel for general SFF case and cooler reviews is Optimum Tech:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRY...xhBVrdvbsUwmAA
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 02-06-2021 at 12:50 PM.

Syd
    Thanks
    • Syd's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • AX860/1250w Seasonic
      • Case:
      • TJ07 / PCV700
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64/ 10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre pro

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    So I think the OP needs to first decide what motherboard form factor they want first,and how many expansion slots they have.
    You are spot on there CAT. I am sometimes guilty of going on tangents and what started as a mobo/cpu/ram upgrade has slowly turned into a new build, and at that point I thought that perhaps I could go to a smaller case, as I am used to 2 large cases and It would have been nice to reduce the space they occupy (my office space is the living room.....)

I am now going to also consider looking for a decent looking and capacious compact ATX case, as noise for me is important, and I think I am asking too much to squeeze everything into an SFF.

Thank you all so far - grateful for your input.

BTW - Did you bag yourself a new Green GPU CAT? or is there some irony in your shiny new avatar....

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Syd View Post
    BTW - Did you bag yourself a new Green GPU CAT? or is there some irony in your shiny new avatar....
    My avatars tend to be whimsical!

Spreadie

If you're going sff, I can heartily recommend the NCase M1 and the Cooler Master NR200

Both have excellent airflow but full size ATX power supplies might limit your GPU options.

The M1 comes with a bracket for ATX PSUs but I think NR200 needs a 3d printed bracket - I can check measurements on either if you need any.

Thread Information