Thread: Build mobo inside case or outside case

Registered+
    Thanks

Build mobo inside case or outside case

For my upcoming new build, I'm wondering if it's better to install the mobo into the case first rather than building it outside the case and then potentially struggling to get the mobo with the CPU and massive heatsink/fans into the case and aligning the standoff holes with the mobo's holes.

My recollection from my first build over 10 years ago was that it was hair-raising getting the built mobo into the case, an Antec P193 that had no rear cutout so I had no choice but to install the CPU and cooler outside the case.

My new case is a Phanteks P600S with a large rear cutout and removeable top panel, I would've thought it'd be easier to install the mobo in there first, then fit the CPU and cooler whilst in the case?

Any thoughts and/or experiences?

Thanks
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII x 2
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte RTX3070Ti, EVGA RTX 3060Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i, RMX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

Re: Build mobo inside case or outside case

I do mine outside the case as in the M.2, CPU and Ram. The old coolermaster cases were awesome you could take the whole motherboard tray out.
    JABULANI NONKE

Thanks

I always tend to stick RAM, CPU, Cooler to the board before they go in the case, and m.2 as well these days, if you haven't built in a while or arent sure then I'd always dry run on the desk, make sure all is well then stick it in the case..

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    I always tend to stick RAM, CPU, Cooler to the board before they go in the case, and m.2 as well these days, if you haven't built in a while or arent sure then I'd always dry run on the desk, make sure all is well then stick it in the case..
    Depends on your case but I've always done mobo in then everything else. But my cases have good access and cut-outs so you can get to the back and install the cpu cooler afterwards. Some cpu coolers may need bits fitting before the mobo goes into the case if you have a solid tray etc.

Personally I wouldn't do a dry run outside the case unless you have a test bench and are confident it's all earthed ok.

5. Received thanks from:

giskard (07-12-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks all for your responses, I think I'll see how much space I have in the case to work on the mobo, then decide whether in or out. I'm thinking maybe fit the M2, RAM and CPU + the CPU cooler mounting hardware outside the case, then apply the thermal paste and fit the cooler with the mobo in the case. I'll check the clearances etc regarding the RAM and cooler before putting the mobo in the case though.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

In this order for me:

MOTHERBOARD ON TOP OF BOX / CUSHIONED MATT
    CPU
    COOLER (assuming it's an air cooler)
    RAM
    M.2
    BACKPLATE INTO CASE
    *fit motherboard into case*
    *untanlge I/O cables*
    * locate position of cable access points on case, and port positions on motherboard and best route cables to where they need to plugged in, then do it*
    ANY 2.5 / 3.5 STORAGE DRIVES SCREWED TO THE CASE
    *route SATA cables from motherboard to drives above*
    POWER SUPPLY
    *untable PSU cables, figure out which you need and any you dont cable tie neatly and tuck into case*
    *route the main 24 pin, CPU 8 pin cables and feed PCIE power cable to front of case*
    *plug in SATA power cables to drive, consider if one is needed to power fan hub or other lighting elements and make sure it's available in the position required*
    *connect fans to headers on motherboard, or route to fan controller, and organise cabling*
    GRAPHICS CARD
    *test PC powers on before closing case* <- superstitious requirement, but if you don't I can assure that you will need to open it up again

8. Received thanks from:

giskard (07-12-2021)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

It's generally easier to fit the CPU outside, at least. M.2 as well... maybe the RAM.

Some coolers that require backplates can be easier if fitted outside the case... but the thing to remember is that you'll have several motherboard screws to fit, and the more weight and the more bulk you have from components, the less space you'll have to work around them and the more likely you are to catch something, potentially misaligning or even damaging them or breaking the sockets. This is especially true of tall RAM. Ask me how I know that one...!

Generally I lay the case down on its back for a lot of the big bits, as that helps alleviate the weight issue and can often be easier to work in.

10. Received thanks from:

giskard (07-12-2021)

Registered+
    Thanks

Always build CPU, RAM and M. 2 on the motherboard box and if it's a normal cooler do that then too.... Its different for everyone and also depends on the case... Some small cases are a pain and you need to think about order... Personally just expect it to take a bit of time and enjoy it

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks for all of your feedback and advice, I ended up building everything on the board - CPU, then RAM, heat sink and fans (had to raise the front 140mm fan by 10mm to allow clearance), then the M2 drive. Finally lifted the whole shebang into the case.

13. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (27-12-2021)

Thanks

I know I'm late to the party, but IMHO, it somewhat depends on the case, and to a more limited extent, on the size of your hands. Those with dainty little hands are going to find it easier to fit into enclosed spaces, and some cases are very enclosed, whereas those with dinner-plate appendages on the ends of their arms are going to really struggle in very compact cases. So the bigger your hands and the smaller the case, the strongerb the argument fo building outside.

It's also not just about size, but also lighting. The state of my weary ol' eyes probably doesn't help, but I find it a lot easier to see what I'm doing out on the desktop, than in the subdued light inside the case.

Personally, I find it much easier for CPU, RAM and NVMe outside the case and, depending on case and cooler choice, often the CPU cooler too. That said, beware building on conductive or even very hard surfaces. Build on a mat, or even the (empty) mobo box.

IMHO. YMMV. Etc.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thread Information