Thread: How much electric would this use? Stock and undervolted TDP for the system?

Thanks

Question How much electric would this use? Stock and undervolted TDP for the system?

TLDR I refuse to pay the amount it'll cost me a month to run a 5800x/3080/4070 etc spec new rig so I'm thinking of building a budget 1080p'ish 2nd hand rig...

What would my worst come worse wattage usage be for say a Ryzen 5 3600g OR 5600x (both 65w tdp)//3060ti system/27-32" monitor? excluding amp/speakers as mostly be using earphones anyway... ALSO what have you guys achieved when undervolted with this setup/what tdp did you achieve for your system?

Once I have this info I can just bang the numbers into a kw/h calculator with my current tarrif.

Oh and what psu will I need for this? 650w or less?

Thanks!
    Last edited by keef247; 15-07-2022 at 03:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: How much electric would this use? Stock and undervolted TDP for the system?

My secondary rig is a Core i5 10400 mini-ITX system with a RX5600XT. Still need to finish rebuilding it properly but I estimate full load power consumption to be well under 300W at the wall.The biggest power consumption part would be the GPU. My main system is a Ryzen 7 5700X and an RTX3060TI. The latter consumes at worse around 330W from the wall. I use an SF600 PSU but its quite clear a 450W PSU would be enough for my system.

If you are going for a lower power consumption gamig system,I would base it around an RX6600. The RX6600 is very efficient.

Use a CPU such as a Core i5 12400F or Ryzen 5 5600/5600X capped to their nominal TDPs,and use an mATX motherboard based around a midrange chipset(B660 or B550). Full ATX highend motherboards might not be as efficient especially with higher end chipsets. I would estimate such a system would be fine with a decent 450W PSU.

Also look at the efficiency curves of the PSU at lower loads under 50% or thereabouts.

3. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CAT-THE-FIFTH View Post
    My secondary rig is a Core i5 10400 mini-ITX system with a RX5600XT. Still need to finish rebuilding it properly but I estimate full load power consumption to be well under 300W at the wall.The biggest power consumption part would be the GPU. My main system is a Ryzen 7 5700X and an RTX3060TI. The latter consumes at worse around 330W from the wall. I use an SF600 PSU but its quite clear a 450W PSU would be enough for my system.

If you are going for a lower power consumption gamig system,I would base it around an RX6600. The RX6600 is very efficient.

Use a CPU such as a Core i5 12400F or Ryzen 5 5600/5600X capped to their nominal TDPs,and use an mATX motherboard based around a midrange chipset(B660 or B550). Full ATX highend motherboards might not be as efficient especially with higher end chipsets. I would estimate such a system would be fine with a decent 450W PSU.

Also look at the efficiency curves of the PSU at lower loads under 50% or thereabouts.
    thanks mate that's very helpful! I'm going to be using a b550m matx board
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by keef247 View Post
    thanks mate that's very helpful! I'm going to be using a b550m matx board
    There seems to be some very good deals on the RX6600 and RX6700 on OcUK now:
    https://forums.hexus.net/retail-ther...tage-ocuk.html

Thanks

I'm after building this all with secondhand parts now mate bar the psu, cex do a 3060 for £330 delivered with 2 year warranty, so bang per buck excluding a monitor this should only cost me around £700 at worst with forum price deals secondhand?

Thanks

wow that IS cheap! and mildly tempting so I could build it as a hackintosh (amd/ati supported cards) on dual boot. HMMMM...
    Last edited by keef247; 15-07-2022 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    • cptwhite_uk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450i Gaming plus Wifi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DRR4 Trident Z 3200 C16
      • Storage:
      • Adata XPG SX8200 Pro 1Tb NVME SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 6800 16Gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SF600 Gold
      • Case:
      • Ncase M1 v6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF (2560x1440 144Hz Nano IPS)
      • Internet:
      • Bt 500 Mbps

You can get a used RX 6600 for £230 at CEX, but for £18, I'd just get new...

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?...1f2&position=1

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I'm after building this all with secondhand parts now mate bar the psu, cex do a 3060 for £330 delivered with 2 year warranty, so bang per buck excluding a monitor this should only cost me around £700 at worst with forum price deals secondhand?
    wow that IS cheap! and mildly tempting so I could build it as a hackintosh (amd/ati supported cards) on dual boot. HMMMM...
    The RX6600 consumes significantly less power than an RTX3060 because it was optimised for laptop use. The RX6700 10GB is interesting as I suspect it might also be under 200W power draw too.

Thanks

That's also 175w tdp vs 200w! interestingggg!!! You might have swayed me but I'll have to see what performance is actually like as I was majorly underwelmed by the 6800xt vs 3080 10/12gb.
    Thank you mate!

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

That's also 175w tdp vs 200w! interestingggg!!! You might have swayed me but I'll have to see what performance is actually like as I was majorly underwelmed by the 6800xt vs 3080 10/12gb.
    Thank you mate!
    Going by the RX6650XT review,the RX6600 is slightly slower than an RTX3060 and an RX6700 would be slightly slower than an RTX3060TI:
    https://tpucdn.com/review/msi-radeon..._1920-1080.png

I have seen the RTX2060 6GB for around £200 but it is slower overall than an RX6600,has less VRAM and consumes more power.

12. Received thanks from:

keef247 (15-07-2022)

Thanks

very shagadellic! I am mighty tempted now man! I love a hackintosh too, it's why I ended up buying actual macs after building a couple of HT's...
    The idea of having my cake and eating in whilst building it into my Mac Pro case (remember) would be the icing on the cake <3

Thanks

just watched this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vmGghpYbC4

you've sold me (providing them have stock in 9 days when I can buy it!) and it's brand new so hassle free <3 mint! means I can do a hackintosh now as well! nice one you legend!

Thanks

I'm very worried now regardless it'll still eat 300w + and be pointless So I'm not sure if I should bother at all now... I'd definitely play atleast 4 hours a day if I goto the trouble of spending all this money secondhand/new parts or not!

My car yet again is tempting me to put naughty bits of carbon fibre/repaint it and do a few more handling/visuals... And she usually wins sigh lol.

I might just get myself a an older mac mini (with the same 65w tdp hardware as my current macbook pro) and that same 27" 1080p monitor and keep the existing main macbook pro as a storage machine for everything I care about/backup - then it's only powered on for that and is easily mobile and I can plug the mac mini into the tv with my logitech keyboard/touchpad combo or at the desk with the new monitor as required when I fancy a desk experience.

Thread Information