• Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Re: Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    My point .... is it possible, even with the point-source nature of headphones or even in-ear to simulate what those nooks, channels, grooves etc do, and therefore simulate directionality via headphones?
    Yes, and 3d sound has been around for decades at this point where the first I heard of it was in context of this sort of thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-r...nsfer_function

and if you have a transfer function defined, then you can write some DSP to implement it.

It looks like there have been some "genuine" surround headphones. As an engineer who has always been rather into audio, that smacks of snake oil to me. Not saying it doesn't work, just that I expect they still need to use dsp if only to boost bass into those teensy drivers for example, so it probably isn't the best way to do it.

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/pe...-7-1-review/1/

Edit: ISTR my Gravis Ultrasound card had a 3D demo back in the early 90's, and then there was the A3D sound card which seemed promising but I found flaky enough that I gave up on it.
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 09-08-2022 at 02:01 PM.

2. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (09-08-2022)

Thanks

Gravis. Them's were the days. Had one too, and still go a Gravis joystick I'm fond of, though not used it for ages. I don't even remember what the connector was. Might have been early USB, might have been too early for that.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • Apex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Z87M-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 32 GiB
      • Storage:
      • 20 TiB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 Fighter 10GB OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Core View 21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGFA
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb nTL Cable

A3D sound card in CS, i could tell by the footsteps where everyone was it was that good and i was young so hearing was better

Thanks

Didnt even know Gravis did anything beyond joysticks etc tbh..

SOrry to get the thread back on topic, but I think I might struggle here, the board's pictures show the actual audio I/O on the back plate, however, the 'how to setup audio' manual suggests that the rear connector is the same as the ATX board, which it isn't...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...WIFI-rev-10#kf

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig View Post
    Didnt even know Gravis did anything beyond joysticks etc tbh..

SOrry to get the thread back on topic, but I think I might struggle here, the board's pictures show the actual audio I/O on the back plate, however, the 'how to setup audio' manual suggests that the rear connector is the same as the ATX board, which it isn't...

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard...WIFI-rev-10#kf
    I wouldn't worry too much about the surround connectors, stick to the line-out/mic ports - or - look at a USB headset.

Some headsets will even bundle in a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X licence with them to give you access to the Spatial sound software in Windows which will tap in to 'Atmos' games for you or provide an upmix option for surround games, too.

You can get a free trial of both Dolby Access (Atmos software) and DTS Sound Unbound (DTS:X) from the Windows Store.

Some resources:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...y-usage/gaming

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...est/headphones

Edit:
    To your point about additional software - I imagine most USB headsets will need something to be installed to get the best out of them. Also if you are looking to tap in to games with Spatial/3D sound, you will need the Dolby/DTS:X licence in most cases (there are rare cases where game will provide Atmos, such as Overwatch and Gears 4), which comes in the shape of additional software.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

7. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (09-08-2022)

Thanks

I'm pretty much these days only playing World of Warships and Warzone...

I've just cleaned the sides of my existing headset..

Its a Plantronics Gamecon 380's, not sure how the compare to modern stuff..

Thanks

So, I've just ordered a set of the Steelseries Arctis Pro + GameDAC as recommended..

They arrive Monday so will give them a bit of a run at work, as they're coming here rather than home, see how they perform..

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

I need some new headphones, with a mic

I want 7.1 or Atmos
    Ok, well in that case add headphones where I don't have to buy an additional piece of software to the list then lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about the surround connectors, stick to the line-out/mic ports - or - look at a USB headset.

Some headsets will even bundle in a Dolby Atmos or DTS:X licence with them to give you access to the Spatial sound software in Windows which will tap in to 'Atmos' games for you or provide an upmix option for surround games, too.

You can get a free trial of both Dolby Access (Atmos software) and DTS Sound Unbound (DTS:X) from the Windows Store.

Some resources:
    https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...y-usage/gaming

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...est/headphones

Edit:
    To your point about additional software - I imagine most USB headsets will need something to be installed to get the best out of them. Also if you are looking to tap in to games with Spatial/3D sound, you will need the Dolby/DTS:X licence in most cases (there are rare cases where game will provide Atmos, such as Overwatch and Gears 4), which comes in the shape of additional software.
    So, I've just ordered a set of the Steelseries Arctis Pro + GameDAC as recommended..

They arrive Monday so will give them a bit of a run at work, as they're coming here rather than home, see how they perform..
    As Terbinator mentions, Atmos requires the license / use of software. Likewise most 7.1 sets using USB will also require additional software. Soundcard / DAC route is easily the best option to go for, I've got the Corsair Virtuoso headset which supports both Atmos and 7.1 via software and it really doesn't come close to the audio cues I used to get from a Creative 7.1 sound card and an old pair of Sennheiser headphones I stupidly gave to my sister years ago.

Hope the Arctis Pro works well for you, I found the build quality to be a bit naff (same as Razer, which is also naff). If I had enough spare money I'd buy a decent DAC to pair with my Beyerdynamic headphones and use those on my PC instead of the Corsair headset.

Thanks

I wouldnt say they were naff compared to my old set, I am wishing I had the wireless ones now though but I suppose the wire will be a bit less annoying when its straightened out a bit rather than still thinking its coiled...

Thread Information