Thread: Did my router get hijacked?

Thanks

Did my router get hijacked?

Today, when i finished playing Brothers in Arms single player i think my router was hacked. My network adaptor was not connecting to the usual 192.168.1.1 but to some wierd ip address with 169.165 blah blah:blah with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 usual is 255.255.255.0. This is the second time it happened to me. I am definitly sure it is the router as teh other pc was also logging on to this wierd ip address. Thankfully rebooting the router solved it phew!. So what is this and why does it happen?

Thanks
    O my router is DrayTek Vigor 2600 (plain)

Thanks
    I think its just one of those things that happen in life. My router back at home has done that a couple of times, but as you said, a quick reboot and it goes back to normal. Guess its the case with the 'cheaper' routers

I crapped my pants the first time it happened to me, thinking someone hacked me!
    Doo Doo Doo Da Da DA...

Thanks
    I think it's because the router loses connection to the internet or that's what happens to mine, and i get your symptoms, I have tried different firmwares with no success
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gipo
    Guess its the case with the 'cheaper' routers
    Gipo my router cost me in excess of £150. Its deffo not cheap.

Take care.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy_s
    Today, when i finished playing Brothers in Arms single player i think my router was hacked. My network adaptor was not connecting to the usual 192.168.1.1 but to some wierd ip address with 169.165 blah blah:blah with subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 usual is 255.255.255.0. This is the second time it happened to me. I am definitly sure it is the router as teh other pc was also logging on to this wierd ip address. Thankfully rebooting the router solved it phew!. So what is this and why does it happen?
    Your machine lost its connection and probably assigned itself an address from the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) range. I'd suggest checking that you have the latest firmware for your router, but failing that, contacting support and requesting a warranty repair/replacement.

Thanks
    Never implied yours was cheap - I just told you my experiences as I have a cheap one
    Doo Doo Doo Da Da DA...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nichomach
    Your machine lost its connection and probably assigned itself an address from the APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) range.
    U see i thought that too, but the other machine was also pointing to the same ip when started. I wasn't even playing online though so how could this happen.

EDIT: Checked for firmware, i have got the latest. Support from draytek is awful
    Last edited by speedy_s; 11-04-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Always happens after I come offline and finsih heavy internet research etc...don't know why..
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    speedy, if the router was knackered when the second machine started up, then it wouldn't have handed the second machine an IP address, so the second machine would have assigned itself one. The first would have realised that it had lost its network connection, tried to reestablish it, failed and assigned itself an APIPA address too. Nothing to do with being online or off, the router just fritzed out.

Thanks
    Your router has a DHCP server on it - that is where the clients get their IP from. If there's a problem with the router and they clients can't access the server when they try to get an IP, or when it's time renew one, then they will give themselves an IP.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kez
    Your router has a DHCP server on it - that is where the clients get their IP from. If there's a problem with the router and they clients can't access the server when they try to get an IP, or when it's time renew one, then they will give themselves an IP.
    Yup, disable the DHCP server through the 'Basic Setup > LAN TCP/IP and DCHP Status' section of the routers config, and manually assign IP/Subnet/DNS on your clients, then they wont have leases to expire and give you grief..

S.
    Last edited by BlueMagician; 11-04-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueMagician
    Yup, disable the DHCP server through the 'Basic Setup > LAN TCP/IP and DCHP Status' section of the routers config, and manually assign IP/Subnet/DNS on your clients, then they wont have leases to expire and give you grief..

S.
    Well that's a poor excuse for a fix if you ask me - The router's DHCP server shouldn't be going down in the first place!

Still, if the network doesn't change much, manual IP setups should be fine. However, on a network like mine where I'm often introducing machines for repair/testing etc, it's handy to have my DHCP server... which in this case is a Linux box.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Thanks guys, the router is on 24*7*365 so i recon it must get kanckered i will leave it as it is . This was the second time in 2 yrs so i don't think it will cause me a lot of grief (hopefully ...). Just wanted to know if my pc's were vulnerable. So again, thank you and as always

Thanks
    I live in the country where computers haven't come into common use so my router has no protection and hasn't been hacked into (I wouldn't know if it had been though...)

Thread Information