Thread: Overclocking AMD Barton 2500+

Thanks

Overclocking AMD Barton 2500+

I just purchased The Barton 2500 and a Gigabyte MB (GA-7N400 pro 2).

i wanted to know how to overclock this chip.. is it done through the bios or through the operating system? could some one please provide me with instructions or send me a guide.

i havent decided what OS to use Windows 98 SE, XP professional, or WIN200 Professional.

PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance everyone

Thanks
    BIOS by adjusting multiplier/FSB.
    You may need to up the Vcore at some point as well.

Thanks
    XP Professional without a doubt. 98 is out of the question completely.

There are so many guides on overclocking out there on the net, just have a look around!

Thanks
    Before you do anything may I suggest you do a forum search.There is a fab article about the 2500 Barton and overclocking. IMHO it is a must read.Sorry dont know enough on how to post the link but take my word for it ,it is /should be required reading for all wannabe 2500 Ocers.

Vijay

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb
    Vijay is right here is the article that was mentioned http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.p...0+overclocking

To post a link mate you just search for what you are looking for then right click and select copy shortcut. Then in the reply box just paste it in simple

Thanks
    normally done in the bios..try adjusting your fsb speed..go slowing and keep a watch out on yr temps

Banned
    Thanks
    Your mobo...

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard...400%20Pro2.htm

nForce2 Ultra400 is top notch and should offer ALL o/c'ing options as well as great speed (optimal in Dual Channel, 2 RAM sticks). Your XP2500+ should use 1.65v as default, that's the highest normal voltage for the CPU and you should find 2.10ghz doable without having to up it, expect to get around 2.20ghz (XP3200+) on AVERAGE. But then every CPU is different so take small steps up in speed and test thorughly each time you step higher. You can use either multiplier or FSB to find the highest your CPU can go, just rem cooling, RAM and PSU can all become factors too though. When you find the fastest you can run either step back a little for the long term or else try adding 0.05v vcore (be 100% sure your cooling is NOT the limiting factor) and see if you can go enough higher to warrant the extra heat produced and added stress on the CPU, IMHO 1.70v tops.

With your mobo and any PC3200 it is best to use 200/400FSB so you could actually start by dropping the multiplier from 11x166=1.8ghz to 9x166=1.5ghz (confirm it is 9x) and then confirm the RAM is set synced to FSB (1:1, 3:3 etc) to up the FSB to 200mhz (400FSB inc DDR) so you'll have 9x200=1.8ghz. Then you can simply up the multiplier 1 step (9x to 9.5x) at a time to find what the CPU is capable of. Just to reiterate test thoroughly at each setting, loading Windows desktop does NOT constitute stable. When you find the fastest you can run either back off a little (0.5x?) or see if a little more voltage can help you go higher.

In gaming terms the gfx card is the most vital part so rem to get a decent one and don't forget to try o/c'ing that too!

Thanks
    2000 Pro! Who needs teletubby interfacing?

Banned
    Thanks
    Easily the two top choices IMHO are WinXP (ideally Pro) because it is the best OS ... or Win98SE if you want full compatibility although it is now becoming very limiting and outdated. Win2000+SP's is also good, much like WinXP without the trimmings. If you don't need full compatibility (like running multiple OS) then NTFS is certainly the way to go, coutesy of Win2000/XP. Win95 and WinME suck far too bad to ever be considered.

Thread Information