Thread: Suspected PSU problem.

Thanks

Suspected PSU problem.

Hello all.

My second computer has gone on the blink...i was happily using it. Then i thought i would run 3dmark 2001SE as it has a voodoo 5500 PCI. It got 24**.

I rebooted, and tried some overclocking on:
    Athlon xp1800 (pally)
    KG7-RAID
    Voodoo 5500
    2xhard drives
    1xcd-drive
    1xcase fan

All of this on a 300watt PSU. I put the voltages up a bit. Then it wont reboot. Cleared cmos tried again. did work. There was no power going to the computer. Left it a alone, cleared the CMOS again. and it worked. Booted into windows, then i rebooted and it booted again, only for windows2k pro to give a BSOD with some error on it.

Has anyone got any ideas? do i have to format hard drive? or buy a new PSU (i know that i have to get one anyway!!)

Thanks
    Will

Banned
    Thanks
    You could possibly have damaged the CPU or mobo too. Pally is locked so FSB is the only real option. However Pally is also VERY hot even at XP1800+, XP2100+ is about as good a sit gets and that runs as hot as an XP3200+. Try each part in a working PC to find the damaged part(s) otherwise it could simply be corruption from running the IDE (linked to PCI linked to FSB) or RAM too fast. BTW Voodoo5 was designed back when GF2MX was king and wasn't really any faster ... an Athlon 550mhz was about top of the range so an XP1800+ is both an overkill and a waste on that fast PC. If you want mroe gaming perf stick in a GF4TI4200 (£70ish) and watch how much speed (and compatibility) you gain. Play much GLide?

Thread Information