Thread: how does an xpc with broken cpu react

Thanks

how does an xpc with broken cpu react

Here's the thing: If I start my sn42g2, the HD and fans spin up, but the main fan cooling the heatpipe stays at full power instead of reducing rpm after a few seconds (as it does when the xpc is working properly), and I never get a picture or hear any of the feared BIOS beeps (at least those would tell me what exactly is wrong). Now, I can rule out any defective component except for the xpc itself, RAM and CPU. RAM isn't a problem because if I got XPC and RAM at the same store, but I got the CPU somewhere else so I'd like to rule that one out as problem source before I contact the store. From past experience with bad CPUs (I managed to fry an old Athlon once), I know that the BIOS will tell me that the CPU is damanged by beeping during POST. However, my XPC doesn't even get there so I'm kinda assuming that my CPU (and RAM) is okay but I'm wondering if any of you ever had a damaged CPU and how your Shuttle barebone reacted to that. Did you get a BIOS beep error code or did you experience the same thing I'm currently experiencing?

Thanks
    Are you getting any led's on the board, power it up without the case on and check in ur manual, theres 2 little LEDs somewhere on the board, ones for CPU over heat and the others for AGP voltage, I'd take it to bits n biuld it back up bit my bit n see where it falls over..

Thanks
    • Bunjiweb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte UD
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 3.6GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 2950GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 550 Ti OC
      • Case:
      • Alienware 7500
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ultimate
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" HannsG HG281D
      • Internet:
      • Virgin V.I.P. 60mb
    As Trig said, rebuild the system. Do it fully first - if it doesnt post still, then go through disabling /enabling stuff on board.

If you've damaged your CPU you MAY have damaged your motherboard aswell which could by why it isnt even beeping.

The only way to test is using trial and error.... once you've tried everyting and it still isnt working, time to ring up shuttle / whoever u bought it from and get a replacement.

Ben
    =========
    NOTHING TO BE SEE HERE, MOVE ALONG PLEASE....

:: of all the things i've lost i miss my mind the most ::

Thanks
    well.. the thing is.. I haven't touched the hardware for ages, and the LEDs are okay.. CPU overheat and AGP protection LEDs are both off (plus I tried without the AGP card already). I'm merely trying to establish if the CPU could be the culprit.. I have my sincerest doubts and I don't really feel like ripping appart my 2nd computer just for a test that is most likely not going to proove anything, but I want to know how a damaged CPU can influence the bootup procedure. I know that if the device shuts down because the CPU overheated, the overheat led will be red and you can't start the device again.. you actually have to unplug the power cord before it will react again, so that can't be it.

I know how to find damaged components, I've been assembling PCs for 13 years now, but this is the first time I'm not even getting a BIOS POST beep error code. I have also already ruled out everything except RAM, XPC and CPU (and the former two are from the same store so I don't care which one is broken.. they have to replace them anyway, but bringing them something that I didn't buy there is going to be problematic.. that's why I need to know how an XPC with a broken CPU behaves).

So, if anyone has had a broken CPU in his XPC, how did the computer react when you tried to start? Did it beep? Were any LEDs turned on?

Thanks
    Have a Shuttle SK41G with the same symtoms,although a
    different motherboard.Contacted Shuttle tech. svcs,and they
    advised reinstalling CPU and memory.Also advised resetting the
    cmos using the jumper. Neither of these worked.Replaced the
    power supply,still no joy.HD, Floppy,CD-Rom all work on another
    PC. Back to Shuttle.

Thanks

same symptoms (sk41g)

i'm seeing the same symptoms,
    and there is a green led near
    a capacitor that is on, but i can't
    find more info about it in my manual.

Thanks

Wink

Worth noting that most Shuttle XPC boards do not have a bleeper so your in the dark anyway regarding post borks.

Got an SN45G in just this state.

Seems very common with Athlon XP Shuttles, a little fact I was not aware of untill I tried to build half a dozen having been an A64 and P4 Shuttle user for the most part.

Edit: abstrakts, the green light is the board power LED.
    "John Willis is a toaster that talks! - It knows your name.".

Thread Information