Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A8N-SLI Deluxe Chipset Fan Replacement

RDL
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    people called me mad when i said "i don't want a fan on my northbridge, the noisy crappy fans only fail after a week".

i feel at this point i must say "buahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha"
    Another in agreeance here. When my Deluxe fan started giving me the annoying noise I ordered a replacement (newer version) and unplugged the old one. Never could be bothered to remove it, (= take out the motherboard, = all wires need rewired = no thanks) therefore it's still in there just not on, and it is so much quieter!
    AMD 64 3500+ | Asus A32 SLi Deluxe | 2 x Corsair 512MB PC4400 Overclockers RAM| 1 x XFX 6800GT | Nexus Vantec Fan Controller | 1 x 74GB Western Digital Raptor )Boot + backup & 2x 200gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (RAID 0) | Plextor 716A Black 16 x16±,x4+ Dual Layer DVD | Tagan 480W | ThermalRight XP-120 with Delta Screamer | 2x120mm YS TECH| Black Akasa Eclipse 62 | L1980U 19" TFT 12ms 500:1 DVI Ultra Slim Black & Silver | Phillips 5.1 Surround Sound| Razer Diamondback Mouse | ExactMat mousemat | Black Cherry Keyboard | WinXP Pro

Thanks
    I have a ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE and a 7800GTX, I managed to fit a Zalman passive cooler on there, there is no fan blowing on it or anything. Im trying to fit a 120mm fan over it, but it is hard to do.

Completly stable so far, but it is HOT when i touch it with my hand. Also, games seem to run a little slower (maybe that I switched my mobo).

Good luck anyway.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)
    I too went for the Zalman passive heatsink approach. It did get a tad warm, but I fitted an 80mm front case fan that blows air in it's direction.

Was amazed it all fits OK, with the big Zalman heatsink that my Gigabyte graphics card came with.

I use the Q-fan control on the motherboard to keep the case fan quiet during none gameplaying use.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by manwithnoname
    Have you tried putting a single card in one of the SLI slots? From what I have read it would be connected to 8 PCIe lanes (instead of 16- which does not appear to have much impact on performance with current cards) if it runs ok you could change the chipset fan ...err if you need to change it .
    I had a look more closely today (had to drag my enormous PC out and do a huge amount of reorganisation inside), and darn it! If I install a long card in one of the SLI slots, it will still go over the chipset fan. Only the first SLI slot gives it clearance.

I've been tempted to try it in a single SLI slot, to see if it would handle it, but the instruction manual uses exclamation marks (!!!) to state that the SLI slots are just for two cards. I don't think it would work - it would be the equivalent of (on another board) using the jumpers to enable SLI, and then installing just one graphics card. That shouldn't work (otherwise, why the jumpers? ). So, yeah. Tempting to try, but I'd rather read about someone else's attempt first.

Thanks
    • Million's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5G41T-M LX2/GB/SI LGA775 mATX
      • CPU:
      • Core2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 6Gb Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb OCZ Octane SSD, 3Tb Seagate HDD, 250Gb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD4850 1Gb
      • PSU:
      • xClio 700w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc Mini (watercooled)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 36" LED TV
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 60mb cable
    I have the AN8 ultra and it has a heat pipe chipset cooler, which performs admirably and unlike little fans produces no noise. Can you install a heatpipe cooler onto it? If so i'd say go for it

Thanks

Smile

Hi there,

The HSF on my chipset (Asus A8n Deluxe) has just started going nuts with RPMs ranging from as high as 2500 upto 8000, and it's making a bloody racket! Plus it's obviously a sign that it's on it's wayout, so it's needs replacing (has been fine for well over a year now sitting at 5000RPM). Oblivion has crashed quite a few times for me since it started going wonky..

I've bought the Zalman NB47J and I'm sure I won't have a problem fitting it, the instructions seem pretty clear and I've fitted Heatsink on CPUs before, however I haven't got a bloody clue how to remove the existing one on the chipset. I can't find any instructions or guides anywhere! One of those rare times that Google fails I guess.

I've removed the fan and there's two spring loaded pins that I can push down but I don't see what I'm supposed to do after this to get the bugger off the chipset. Incidently the mobo is stil in the case at this present time as I'm lazy and I'm hoping I can get it off the board without having to dismantle the whole PC.

If someone can point me in the right direction of what I should be doing next I would most thankful.

Cheers peeps.

Feet

Thanks
    Hi there,

I would carefully use some nailclippers and clip away at the little plastic pins. then it will hopefully come out.

Thanks
    The correct method would be to remove the motherbaord from the case, then press in the clips as you have been doing. Then, from the other side of the board, you can squeeze together the expanding clip so that it slots through the holes in the board.

If you can't be bothered with this, the above method of cutting with nail clippers will work, but obviously you'll need to make sure you have more clips available (although these should come with any aftermarket cooler).

Mike Fishcake
    edit: ignore me

Thanks

need fan replacement

I've been having problems with this fan before. When I got problems like the ones listed in this forum (chipset fan buzzing) I followed everyones advice on getting a passive one and bought the zalman heatsink. But eventually, down the road, I decided to buy a new heatsink/fan for my NVDIA card and it wouldn't fit due to the zalman's heatsink height! So, I decided to replace the zalman with my old fan and just dealt with the fan buzz. Eventually after a month or so, the buzzing disappeared thinking it was fine........

Today, I just updated to the 1805 BIOS (2006/11/30 update). After rebooting I get a warning - "Warning: Your Computer CHIP Fan Fail or speed too low". I check the fan, and lo and behold, it's not spinning. I temporarily bypass that warning, and now my windows os won't boot.

Does this have to do something with the chipset fan? If it does, is there a chipset fan that is the same size as the asus one that fits with oversized videocards? The ones i've seen so far in this forum are too large. Any help? thanks.

Thanks
    This should do the trick:

http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/pro...g/tr-hr-05-sli

Or you can snip a few fins off your current Zalman one.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=321728 this will work pretty much as well as the Thermalright at a fraction of the cost. I have both and the Zalman ones are fantastic. Blimey this is an old thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    The stock fan on these boards are guff. I have replaced with firstly, the ever dependable blue zalman(used them nf2/3/4 uli) and secondly with HR-05-SLI. The zalman will cool it no problems, but with cards that take up 2 slots/after market solutions then they won't fit with the zalman. The HR-05-SLI works very well and cools my chipset passive 146@10x300. The only thing I don't like about the HR-05-SLI is the fixing solution
    Last edited by Max Tractor; 10-12-2006 at 01:08 AM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I managed to fit a Zalman onto a DFI-Ultra-D and SLI-D by only breaking a few fins off, and that was with a pair of 7800gtx cards surrounding it. The fins break off easily with a pair of needle nose pliers, its an easy mod and dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • Max Tractor's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Biostar TA890GXE
      • CPU:
      • 95w 1055T@x4-3.5Ghz-1.15v
      • Memory:
      • Samsung Green 30nm low voltage 2x4GB@1.26v
      • Storage:
      • Corsair 3 60GB-Sandisk Extreme 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-1050XM
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster elite 120(Modd)
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ EW2430
    Yup popped a few fins too, but with my gto2 and artic cooler it was pointless

Thanks
    thanks guys for the help. I eventually bought the A8n-SLI premium heatpipe as well as the fan, just in case, from: "://estore.asus.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=2535&catid=136"

The thread the recommended me here is: "://asustech.15.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=1777"

again...thanks for all the help guys! =)

(due to my short post count i can't put up links. so just add the http in front of it)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information