Thread: making a DVD recorder stlye PC

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks

making a DVD recorder stlye PC

been reading this thread

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?threadid=4282

and didn't wish to hijack the thread, so thought it best to post my own

i've been giving some thought to putting together a shuttle with tv capture, DVD-R, h00ge hard drive etc to use as a DVD recorder next to my TV

if doing this tho, how would you get around the issue of setting a timer to record specific programmes on variousc channels while you were out? (in a video recorder stylee)

any ideas/thoughts. anyone successfully running one of these ATM?

cheers

Ben
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    would depend on the tv capture soft tbh.... i have tv card but i cba to read paper etc.. to find when stuff is on and if im out well then i cba either so i miss it..

Banned
    Thanks
    Most of the 'secrets' and specifics would be almost totally dependent on the TV card, Freeview (digital TV through aerial) would give you 30 instead of 5 channels but you do need a very good aerial (pref high gain). The sw would take care of all the specifics in terms of programming diff things to record. Do note the format it uses, you should find some that do std MPEG2 which should be ideal for burning to CD/DVD as that's the std for SVCD (dependent upon res etc). All digital broadcasts use MPEG2 so not so much converted but simply stored. Obviously there are more problems if you wanted to use Sky/Cable to record off, esp if you wanted to switch channels, hence why Freeview would be such a good idea. You may find some TV cards deviate from the std MPEG2 though, some may even use their own proprietry format. Anyway you would be best advised to convert things to MPEG4/DivX for the long term as you get better quality at a smaller file size. ALso consider the audio, I doubt many programs will convert/encode audio as an MP3 which you would certainly want, much of the time the audio will take up as much space as the video stream. Plenty to look into but basically the TV card is what you'd need to choose most wisely.

2nd hardest inthe infants petrefax's Avatar
    Thanks
    excellent post (as ever) austin, cheers for the info - thats given me some good info on what to look into
    if it ain't broke...fix it till it is

Thanks
    One of the best TV capturing cards out atm is the WinTV PVR 250. It does everything you could ask for. As for the software side of things, you could pair it up with snapstream. basically its like a software based Tivo, pause live tv, program guide etc.

As for the satalite/cable side of things I dont really no much but it is something im researching into.

Banned
    Thanks
    Be sure to let us know how you get on and anything interesting you find out.

Thread Information