Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to maintain my pc?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty6435
    Changing startup programs is probably the best way to keep your system running quickly. Why have acrobat reader hogging precious RAM for a 5 second boost in load time?

Software firewalls don't interfere with anything and work fine with a hardware firewalls, why take it out? You lose lots of functions if you do. A good softwall doesn't take much memory or CPU time and is a hundred times easier to configure than a hardware based firewall. My router blocks DDOS, ping scanning and keeps my network secure but I wouldn't dare take out my ZoneAlarm.

Also, WMP is great for me, got real and quick alternative so quicktime and realplayer are toast and it actually only has a few registry entries.... it's hardly bloatware.
    Ive fixed and repaired many pc's for family and friends and I have formed the opinion that if you get hacked, or get a virus, it your own fault for doing something stupid like downloading dodgy programs.

Zonealarm is imo bloatware. There are better software alternatives. From using it in the past I have got the impression they spend more time on the UI than on the acctuall firewall code.

I must admit I am using a nforce4 ultra mobo which has built in hardware firewall which I have set to anti-hacking only which should be very effective when paired with my router.

I would never bother with products from the compays: norton, mcaffee, zonealarm, etc..

For AV I use AVG which I do a full scan about once every two months, and never had any problems on any of the 10 pc's I maintain.

For video, media player classic is perfect for every use I have for video.
    for stuff like cd ripping and others stuff included in WMP7+ (e.g bloatware - the combination of many crap utilitys into one large program, for convineince of chavs.) I use small programs usually from sourceforge.net that will usually do it a lot better....

Winamp5 for music etc...

Thanks
    Yes it's safe to delete everything in the temporary folders. Hence the name temporary, and hence it being full of crap.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildmonkeyUK
    Take it I'm the only one that formats and reinstalls nearly every 2-3 monhts then ?
    I do it every so often, either when things go wrong, things go slow or hardware gets changed. The most I normally leave it is six months, it tends to slow down after that.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    I tend to do it about every 4 months. Also, I use a program called Free RAM XP Pro. It's brilliant - puts a little icon on the taskbar and when you double click, it clears out your RAM. It also does it automatically if you're running low. Speeded my PC up no end.

Thanks
    You probably need a RAM upgrade if it helps by taking out files.... 1 gig and I've not found any difference with the programs.... different story with 512 though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information