Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to maintain my pc?

Thanks

How to maintain my pc?

Right i have been looking into this a bit and also a bit annoyed that when i installed by pc was blazing fast but now it has become quite slow and less reponsive. So how do i go abt make it as fast as it originally was without a reinstall?

Thanks a lot

p.s. btw i do run defrag and spybot/adaware perodically.

Thanks
    Maintenance is a tough one, in most cases ongoing performance can be achieved by doing things right in the first place. But there are many ways to achieve that.

It may take an entire rebuild to get the most optimum configuration, so it depends how you have things setup at the moment. Here's a few simple things that can be done for now though.

Temp folder clearing:

Delete everything in C:\$windows\Temp\ and C:\Documents and Settings\$username\Local Settings\Temp\. Run "Internet Options" in control panel and clear the history, and all temp files. *Regardless* of whether you use IE or not. Next clear the temporary files in the web browser of your choice, tools -> options -> privacy tab -> "clear all" for firefox.

System Tray:

All those little icons by the clock on the taskbar *ARE* wasting resources, get rid of all of them. If something is a shortcut to an application you can run off the start menu, are you really that lazy that you need to have it wasting RAM etc? Yes they may not take much individually, but in total it will be a factor.

A defrag once all this is done should be of benefit, but results with Windows' defrag app can be varied depending on what disk partitioning you use, due to the virtual memory file being present on the OS disk.

Thanks
    Defrag, spware clean, registry repair and optimisation, uninstall all non-vital software and re-install newest versions to get rid of junk files and re-organise HDD better, check startup programs.

Thanks
    registry repair and optimisation
    which is the best program fo this?

Thanks
    I find theres a point where you jsut have to formatt and start again. I try and keep things clean with add-aware and the like. But some times it jsut becomes time for a fresh start. Makes you organise things better.

Thanks
    yes trippledence, i agree with u on that. windows being itself will somehow get bloated and slow over time, nothing u do seems to help. windows grows old i guess

DaftpuNk, is it safe to delete those temp files?
    ill try to back them up to a temporary place first

Thanks
    Get something like 'tune up utilities' or 'system mechanic' for lots of file deletion and registry tools that you'll find useful. There are free versions but they tend to be scattered tools and not so effective.

If you've had your windows up for 6-12 months and it's had lots added and taken off then nothing will revive your system like a nice reformat

Registered+
    Thanks
    Overclock your CPU?

I noticed the biggest improvement when I upgraded from 512Mb to 1Gb. RAM is very important to Windows.
    Also try setting your Virtual Memory (Paging file, whatever you want to call it) to be no smaller than 1.5Gb and have a maximum size of 3Gb. It also helps if its on a different Hard Disk to your windows install.

To be honest, I just install Windows on a separate partition to everything else, and then reformat and reinstall on that partition every 6 months or so. Saves me backing everything up every time, and keeps performance up to scratch.
    Windows, by nature, gets (even more?) bloated and slow after a while.
    AthlonXP 2500+ @ 2.1Ghz
    1024Mb Corsair DDR RAM @ 390FSB
    ATi Radeon 9800SE with NP Softmod
    MSI K7N2 Delta nForce2 Mobo.
    Old - But still going strong

Thanks
    you know what scotty6435?
    i once used tuneup utilities' 'optimize registry' or 'defrag registry' feature, i cant remember its name exactly, but anyways, it deleted lots of stuff from the registry. after my reboot, i found out it deleted crucial fonts to the OS, i rebooted into a system filled with squares and thai-like words LOL!

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup
    JV16 powertools is my fave when cleaning the registry, albeit manually or automatially. For spyware I use Pest Patrol or Microsoft's AntiSpyware Beta. Also F-Prot antivirus, Diskeeper lite or O&O defrag for defragging duties and Kiero, Agnitum or Zonealarm for firewalling.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks
    Yes, always jv16. I've used them for about 3+ years and are always improving! I dont trust anything else through problems they create. We use it at work all the time

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silon
    you know what scotty6435?
    i once used tuneup utilities' 'optimize registry' or 'defrag registry' feature, i cant remember its name exactly, but anyways, it deleted lots of stuff from the registry. after my reboot, i found out it deleted crucial fonts to the OS, i rebooted into a system filled with squares and thai-like words LOL!
    I've used it since my system's been up (maybe 6 months) along with at least another 10 tools and it's running just as fast as it was first put together. Run all scans 2-3 times a week after a fresh install and it'll fly for as long as you want.

p.s. I currently have these tools installed: adaware, Spybot, spy sweeper, zone alarm, avast!, system mechanic pro, tune up utilities, CCleaner, diskeeper v9.

Thanks
    Remove real player, wmp7/8/9/10 (not the codecs.. just the program), MMJ, kazaa or any other bloatware...
    Unles syou install lots of bloatware the registry shouldnt be too bad.. Ive never bothered cleaning it..

See what programs are running at startup. Remove things like Realplayer, Msoffice, quicktime etc.. - which all add themselves to startup each time they are run.

Also if your drives are fat32 run defrag every week.. for ntfs you dont really need to bother, although it will help a bit.. but I havent done mine for about a year

Also remove any software firewall, and get a hardware firewall from ebuyer for ~£10-15. Use a portscan site to check its working good...
    Antivirus does not need to scan in real time, so disable that, but do a full scan every week or so. Making sure software is upto date and resonably secure is more important imo (most people seem to forget or not bother).

I shall never tire... BEANFro Elite's Avatar
    Thanks
    • BEANFro Elite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus MAXIMUS IV EXTREME Rev.3.0
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Memory Vengeance 8GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240Gb RevoDrive 3 X2, 1x 1TB Maxter DiamondMax 11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire ATi HD5970 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1000W Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermater Cosmos Pure Black
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2209WA
      • Internet:
      • TalkTalk
    The latest System Mechanic has hundreds of system tweaks and is even able to defrag the RAM!! Bet you never thought that RAM could fragment

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    Remove real player, wmp7/8/9/10 (not the codecs.. just the program), MMJ, kazaa or any other bloatware...
    Unles syou install lots of bloatware the registry shouldnt be too bad.. Ive never bothered cleaning it..

See what programs are running at startup. Remove things like Realplayer, Msoffice, quicktime etc.. - which all add themselves to startup each time they are run.

Also if your drives are fat32 run defrag every week.. for ntfs you dont really need to bother, although it will help a bit.. but I havent done mine for about a year

Also remove any software firewall, and get a hardware firewall from ebuyer for ~£10-15. Use a portscan site to check its working good...
    Antivirus does not need to scan in real time, so disable that, but do a full scan every week or so. Making sure software is upto date and resonably secure is more important imo (most people seem to forget or not bother).

Changing startup programs is probably the best way to keep your system running quickly. Why have acrobat reader hogging precious RAM for a 5 second boost in load time?

Software firewalls don't interfere with anything and work fine with a hardware firewalls, why take it out? You lose lots of functions if you do. A good softwall doesn't take much memory or CPU time and is a hundred times easier to configure than a hardware based firewall. My router blocks DDOS, ping scanning and keeps my network secure but I wouldn't dare take out my ZoneAlarm.

Also, WMP is great for me, got real and quick alternative so quicktime and realplayer are toast and it actually only has a few registry entries.... it's hardly bloatware.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Take it I'm the only one that formats and reinstalls nearly every 2-3 monhts then ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information