Thread: Does "Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nforce4 4x" support NCQ?

Thanks

Does "Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 nforce4 4x" support NCQ?

I am confused
    at gamepc review
    "One thing to note here is that the nForce4-4x chipset does not support Serial ATA-II/300 connectivity like the nForce4 Ultra and SLI chipsets do. This is one of the differentiating factors between the standard nForce and the more expensive variants. The ports still support ATAPI (useful for SATA optical drives) and NCQ (for newer SATA hard drives), so missing out on SATA-II/300 will not be a major factor for most out there."

but people are saying that "there is no NCQ support. sata2 is requiredfor that"
    but intel's 775 platform's chipsets support NCQ.

what are your thoughts?

we'll see about that... alterion's Avatar
    Thanks
    nah i does support it.. but don't ask me how.. saying stat 2 is neccessary for ncq is rubbish.. there are sevral dirves outther atm with ncq but none on sata 2
    AMD3000+ ATIX800XL + GBNF44x mobo.. all at stock because they're good enough atm + CA A1 amp-->Mission 73S Loigtech MX1000 + 1GB ram + 1/3 TB HD array
    Wintendo XP + Linux (when it works) .. just incase you were wondering

Thanks
    Getting SATA drives to work on this board is a nightmate if you want to boot off it.

Strongly suggest an IDE drive and save yourself the hassle, unless they've fixed the problem.
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Furton
    Getting SATA drives to work on this board is a nightmate if you want to boot off it.

Strongly suggest an IDE drive and save yourself the hassle, unless they've fixed the problem.
    what is the problem?
    can you explain. I am planning to buy this board and seagate ncq 160GB hard drive. how can I fix the problem

Thanks
    I bought this board for a friend of mine and a 200GB Seagate Drive. Installing WinXP was the problem.

I use a disc with SP2 slipstreamed onto it, which can detect most SATA chips. When installing windows it would copy the files over to the HD (without pressing F6 e.t.c), went fine, after it does it's restart it said couldn't find a HD.

So I tried to install and press F6 so I can install the SATA drivers, installed them fine but then Windows couldn't find the HD to copy the files over to.

Tried loads of different settings in the BIOS and it just didn't want to know. Loads of people were posting about the same problem, ended up getting an IDE drive, worked fine.

Not sure if the problem is fixed. Worth checking out a few other forums.
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Thanks
    I have this exact board and everyone who has this board will have this problem.. the probelem is raid is enabled by default in the bios and for some reason this messes it up.. what you have to do to get it working is to disable all raid entries in the bios but none of the sata one.. this is a very starage decsision bu gigabyte but.. this should allow you to use your sata disc if you still have it (you do need to press f6 and have the files on a floppy as well..
    AMD3000+ ATIX800XL + GBNF44x mobo.. all at stock because they're good enough atm + CA A1 amp-->Mission 73S Loigtech MX1000 + 1GB ram + 1/3 TB HD array

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alterion
    I have this exact board and everyone who has this board will have this problem.. the probelem is raid is enabled by default in the bios and for some reason this messes it up.. what you have to do to get it working is to disable all raid entries in the bios but none of the sata one.. this is a very starage decsision bu gigabyte but.. this should allow you to use your sata disc if you still have it (you do need to press f6 and have the files on a floppy as well..
    I even tried that as well, still didn't work, was very odd

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Thanks
    Have the same board, booting from Sata was no problem, disable IDE/SATA raid, enable Serial ATA 1&2, connect the drive to port serial conn 1, choose correct disc in boot priority (3 i believe) and away you should go.

Thanks
    worked fine for me.. check that you don't have it still set to boot from cd in higher priority in the bios.. othewise it will ignore the hdd stuff sounds obvious but..

Banned
    Thanks
    have the same mobo aswell and never had a problem with installing windows on sata drive. dont need to install the sata drivers or anything

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    I have the SLI version and I can boot off SATA fine.

Thanks
    yes this is verya specifically a wired bios setting in the nforce 4x version.. dpsn't plague the ultra or SLI versions

Thanks
    Gigabyte's answer to my "NCQ and nforce4 4x" Question..

"As to the problem you mentioned, based on chipset specification, GIGABYTE motherboard that comes with Intel ICH6R & ICH6RW, nVIDIA nFORCE4 SLI & Ultra controller will support SATA NCQ (Native Command Queuing) feature. However, this M/B GA-K8NF-9 is based on nVIDIA nForce4 4X chipset. We are sorry that this M/B does not support SATA NCQ due to chipset limitation."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keles
    Gigabyte's answer to my "NCQ and nforce4 4x" Question..

"As to the problem you mentioned, based on chipset specification, GIGABYTE motherboard that comes with Intel ICH6R & ICH6RW, nVIDIA nFORCE4 SLI & Ultra controller will support SATA NCQ (Native Command Queuing) feature. However, this M/B GA-K8NF-9 is based on nVIDIA nForce4 4X chipset. We are sorry that this M/B does not support SATA NCQ due to chipset limitation."

i got a 160GB seagate NCQ HDD with this MOBO and its slow, so i was not happy.
    i was thinking, wouldent NCQ be disabled if the Nforce 4 4x chip set dont support it?

but the thing is, even though the loading time is slow, the Transfer speed is faster. cuz i used it as a storage drive

Thread Information