Thread: Please Help!!!

Thanks

Question Please Help!!!

Just finished putting together my new rig. Get everything hooked up and turn it on. Everything comes on, fans start turning, LED's come on, etc. I turn on my monitor and it says check signal cable. I do, everything is tight. I try again, same thing. I try the monitor on a different computer, monitor works great. I try reseating the video card. Same thing. My spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon 1700+ (not yet OC), Abit NF7-S, 1 GB Kingston HyperX ram, Radeon AIW 9800 Pro, SB Audigy 2, Maxtor 120 Gig SATA drive.

I don't know what's going on... maybe the DVI to analog converter is busted? I really hope my video card isn't dead, as I've just got it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    cud it be the power supply, the raddy not gettin enuff juice ? :S

COMPLETE GUESS SO LEAMME ALONE!

Thanks
    Does the fan on the 9800 start?
    Signature is 57 % complete. Please check back later.

Thanks
    WHY are u using the DVI to analog converter when theres a perfectly good VGA port on the card???

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb
    Don't you need the radeon drivers installed to use dvi?

tried it with a normal vga lead?

Banned
    Thanks
    Can you try the gfx card in another PC? Tried clearing CMOS (and pref latest BIOS)? Tried a diff gfx card in your PC? As said it could be the PSU, perhaps try the PC with minimal components installed, and reseat everythinga s no signal could also mean a problem witht he CPU or RAM too. Best of luck!

Thanks
    I have a 480 Watt antec Power supply, so I don't think that could be it. The fan on the Radeon starts no problem. I don't know if DVI is the correct term, but there is no lead on the card to plug in my monitor, it comes with a converter for it. THat's what I'm using. Austin, I'm going to try another graphics card in it. Thanks you guys. Wish me luck!

No-Name - The Name That You Can Trust

Banned
    Thanks
    Well being a 9800 AIW it wouldn't have dual monitor support (only on the 9600 AIW AFAIK) so what you're saying is you have a DVI port instead of the more usual VGA type port? If it is DVI that is where you use the converter to give you the std VGA style (CRT monitor) connection. The non-AIW cards tend to come with TVout, DVI and CRT and you only need the converter if you wish to run dual CRT monitors. If this helps, look at the pic at the bottom of the page, Blue=VGA, Black=TVout and White=DVI.

You do have one of the best PSU's going, but it could still have some kind of fault, although it is doubtful.

Thanks
    Thanx for all your help guys. It turns out that my cpu was seated right. Stupid me!! Thanx espicially Austin, you're a wealth of information.

No-Name - The Name That You Can Trust

Thanks
    when monitor says no signal, it simply means its not conencted properly to anything. even if a monitors connected to a turned off gfx card it wont say it, its only when its no conencted ... so ur dvi adaptor might be faulty. i DOUBT its the card itself.

if u want i could post u my spare dvi adaptor to test but u will need to pay postage. pm me

Banned
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Austin
    Well being a 9800 AIW it wouldn't have dual monitor support (only on the 9600 AIW AFAIK) so what you're saying is you have a DVI port instead of the more usual VGA type port? If it is DVI that is where you use the converter to give you the std VGA style (CRT monitor) connection. The non-AIW cards tend to come with TVout, DVI and CRT and you only need the converter if you wish to run dual CRT monitors. If this helps, look at the pic at the bottom of the page, Blue=VGA, Black=TVout and White=DVI.

You do have one of the best PSU's going, but it could still have some kind of fault, although it is doubtful.
    What happened to the link? I'm positive it was posted and that I verified it worked, BTW it was a link to a Rad9800 review (IIRC) where they showed the ports on the back of the non AIW) card. Oh well!

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20...t/index.x?pg=1

Thread Information