My current core setup is a:
    P4 2.53GHz
    1 Gb (2x 512 Mb) Kingston ValueRAM DDR333
    AOpen AX4SPE Max

I've been wanting to upgrade, and am looking at getting:
    Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
    2 Gb (2x 1 Gb) Corsair XMS Dual Channel DDR400
    ABit AV8 3rd Eye

Granted, I mainly picked the specs based off of the Hexus article on the Venice overclocking, but the reviews on all of the upgrade parts from other sites all look pretty good. I know it's possible to push the Venice into the 2.7GHz range, but I am probably only going to push mine into the 2.4GHz area as the system's steady operation is fairly important. Does anyone have any immediate reasoning as to why those parts would be bad choices?

I've overclocked before, but only with my current P4 to the 2.8GHz area on air using simple settings, and I've never yet dealt with any of the more complex settings that are mentioned when overclocking the Venice. I've looked but not found an actual guide on OCing the Venice itself, can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand, just a mentor of sorts to ask questions when I get stumped and Google fails me. At the very least, some explanation as what the settings and timings actually are and do.

Any responses are welcomed and appreciated.

Registered+
    Thanks
    300*9 and 300*8 is good for the 3000+
    try to find 0516GPxx or 0517EPxx or 0517DPxx
    but make sure AV8 can do 200/133, so that ur ram can still run at DDR400
    or change to ddr600 ram

Thanks
    Any particular reason for the AV8?
    It won't reach as high an HTT (if that's your thing) as an nForce so you might be better with a 3200+ (10x multi) if you stick with it.

you can start with http://www.insanetek.com/index.php?page=overclocka64 but there are also good articles at madshrimps.be & http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=46539

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Well, I based the decision to look into that board as the article used a Fatal1ty AN8 and a friend of mine has the standard AN8. However, I need an AGP slot for my x800, and the reviews I've read for the AV8s are all fairly praising. If you have a better suggestion though, whether it be a board with better capabilities or better stability, let me know and I'll consider that as well. I'll consider getting the 3200+ venice, from what I've read it's overall OC potential isn't quite as high but that is a higher base speed to work with, so to get to where I want there wouldn't be as high of OCing to be done.

Excellent links, exactly what I wanted, thank you. Between those and a couple other articles I've found all of the new variables to keep in mind when OCing Athlon 64s seem pretty straightforward.

Thread Information