Thread: DVD ROM not being found by windows

Poiny Member
    Thanks

Question DVD ROM not being found by windows

OK, just bought a DVD ROM drive so I can play the new DVD games that are always coming out.
    Problem is windows does not detect it upon start up, i.e its not in the 'My Computer' or antwhere else where its supposed to show up, the only way of getting it to show up is by doing a hardware search - this takes two shots before showing up in the list of hardware and is found...??

I have replaced my previous CD ROM drive with this - a straight swap, jumper is set to master, I have a HDD on the slave - it was all working fine before I dont know why this should be any different...

Anyone any ideas

It shows up fine in the Bios BTW

Make is: Lite-on DVD ROM

Cheers in Advance
    Windows XP / 1.1MB Orange BB: E6600 Core 2 Duo Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3P EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked WD 250GB SATA2/300 2GB Corsair TwinX 6400 DDR2 Corsair HX 520 PSU 17in LG Flatron SONY DVD RW DRU-800A Akasa Zen case SB Audigy

Poiny Member
    Thanks
    btw it works fine when it is eventually found...
    Windows XP / 1.1MB Orange BB: E6600 Core 2 Duo Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3P EVGA 8800GTS Superclocked WD 250GB SATA2/300 2GB Corsair TwinX 6400 DDR2 Corsair HX 520 PSU 17in LG Flatron SONY DVD RW DRU-800A Akasa Zen case SB Audigy

Thanks
    You sure the cable is ok?

Make sure everything is pushed all the way in. Go into BIOS and check it's on auto as well.

pounder!
    Thanks
    serves you right for buying the COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH that is lite on. actually i have the damn drives too. u get nay cds with drive? screws loose? does it detect it when it starts up telling u everything its got in dos?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phunkygal
    serves you right for buying the COMPLETE AND UTTER RUBBISH that is lite on.
    Nothing wrong with my Lite-On drive :\

Check the settings for the IDE channel to which the drive is attached, by using device manager.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    Did you install the software that came with the drive?

Also, reading THIS might help depending on what the true nature of your problem is.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I had exactly the same thing (however, with a CDRW rather than a DVD drive). Sometimes XP would see it, sometimes not, more often not. Tried everything. In the end I swapped out the IDE cable and now its picked up everytime without fail. Strangely I'm using the 'faulty' cable in another machine and thats fine too.

Thanks
    I've had in the past windows had assigned it the same drive letter as a mapped network drive so I couldn't see it

Check under Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and it should give you the drive letter under there

As for lite-on their stuffs pretty good. Got a first gen DVD-RW in my parents machine still plugging away!
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Poiny Member
    Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Firelord
    I've had in the past windows had assigned it the same drive letter as a mapped network drive so I couldn't see it

Check under Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and it should give you the drive letter under there

As for lite-on their stuffs pretty good. Got a first gen DVD-RW in my parents machine still plugging away!
    Thanx for replies!
    Have not had a chance to have a go at untill now because I am too busy trying to move house.
    I looked in computer managment and it is not under disk managment - but IT IS under removable storage... and not present at the moment - well at least untill I do 2 hardware searches...strange? How do I stop it being in the removable section and put in the disk section?

I did update the firmware but it made no difference...

Any ideas guys?

Thread Information