Thread: My hunt for portability yet performance

Thanks

My hunt for portability yet performance

Well, this is going to be a long one and is aimed at anyone who likes either portability or just space saving. I have questions at the end

Since i travel regularly (i live in Guernsey but go to uni in England) I have to maintain a portable lifestyle so i can travel easily. This is obviously achieved via a laptop and a Shuttle. My system specs are:

Shuttle SN25P
    1GB (2x512MB) Corsair PC3200XL Pro
    Connect 3D X800XL
    AMD Winchester 3500+
    NEC DVD-RW dual layer
    Hyundai Imagequest Q17+
    Logitech Z2200's

Currently my setup looks like the following:

Now this may look portable but think again. That TFT has to go in a larger box because there's no other way to carry it or i'd damage it. This has to change to a Shuttle TFT in my opinion as they include carry cases like so:

On top of this we can include the actual Shuttle barebone carry case:

And blammo, we have almost the whole PC in two small cases no bigger than a couple of briefcases.

So now what I need is a portable keyboard and portable (but decent) speakers. In my opinion headphones are just fine to an extent. I do prefer a good set of speakers but if you're travelling you're obviously not going to be able to carry a huge set of speakers around. I've checked out the sennheiser range and they all look pretty decent but again it'd be nice to have something small, perhaps even use the same headphones for your media player as you do for your computer?

My laptop is an Acer Aspire 2012WLCi which is a decent spec lappy (widescreen too) and generally good performing although this is a waste of time since i have a portable main system. It's better to get a lappy which does what it's intended to do and is a lot smaller (i'm currently thinking of getting an ibook). The good thing is that it fits into a pouch in my backback leaving loads of room leftover (to shove cables and extras in)

Another let down is cables. It really is a let down for me because i have so many of them. I have a charger for my camera, a charger for my laptop and a charger for my media player. 2 of which run the same voltages but have different connectors (whatever happened to standardisation?) I also have cables for my guitarport which saves me having to have an amp for my guitar as shown in the following image.

As opposed to the rest of my stuff for when i'm travelling it probably consists of two suitcases and two guitars. So my whole life can be shortened down to 2 suitcases, 2 guitars, 2 carry cases and a backback. Basically i can almost carry all the material contents of my life around with me

So, can anyone recommend me a portable yet comfortable keyboard, a set of ear-bud headphones and anything else which will help with my portability?

Thanks
    i use a cherry mini keyboard, comes in beige or black and its got really nice keys. i started using it just for lans but now i use it all the time, saves desk space and is nice to type on. only ting is they're quite expensive.

http://www.ergonomics.co.uk/products/input/input11.htm

thats the only one i could find. there aree laods of cheaper ones out there, i guess you gotta try them to see what theyre like, a friend uses a £10 one thats absolutely fine, if youre interested i can find out what model it is.

Thanks
    They must be nice if they're that expensive Might have to look into getting one. I'd preferably like one which fits into the Shuttle carry bag 'cause i know my mouse will The numpad costs more than the keyboard! :O

Thanks
    With regard to your headphone request, I use these;

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/banded-he...j100/index.htm

I use these when I take my Shuttle to LAN parties, and have found them to be good quality, good sound, comfortable for long periods (very important) and being fold up, are very portable.

I would reccomend these to anyone intending to use them for a similar purpose.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeZZeR
    a set of ear-bud headphones

Thanks
    How abt this for a keyboard, u can't get MORE portable or smaller then these!!!!
    http://www.alpern.org/weblog/stories...Keyboards.html

Thanks
    I'd prefer something comfortable

Thanks
    Those look like James Watson Halls to me Where I was last year!

What state are they in now?
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thanks
    Nah that's trafalgar (very similar but mine is much bigger with ensuite kitchen and bathroom). They're getting worse by the year. Last time there was a flood and the building got condemned for 12 hours

Thanks
    I did hear about that, it was terrible! JWH started off really nice and looked good but then some t**ts really messed it up. A block looked like a bad day in bosnia the way they'd destroyed it!
    .: Predator :.

- Shuttle SN25P - A64 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz - 1GB PQI Ultra DDR - X850XT - Asus DVD-ROM - 200GB Maxtor + 2*80GB SATAII -

Thread Information