Thread: Speedfan and ST20G5?

Thanks

Speedfan and ST20G5?

I recently bought a Shuttle ST20G5, and installed Speedfan to monitor temperatures. However, i encountered the same problem each time i went to run speedfan, the system would just restart. Is this because shuttle mobo's just don't have support for speedfan, and, if so, is there a temperature monitor that i can use without any issues?

I'm running windows xp w/ sp1a, and the rest of my rig's specs are in my sig.

Thanks
    As far as I am aware, there's no reason why SpeedFan would cause a reboot or virtually any other problem. Out of the box, its general defaults, while not necessarily fabulous, are at least functional. I would suggest loading SP2, though I doubt that would have much, if any, effect on your problem.

Obviously, there's something going on that reboots your machine and presumably, because its happening when you try to start SpeedFan, that's somehow related to the problem. Could be just a coincidence but I wouldn't put much stock in that theory.

My guess is somehow when your start SpeedFan, its mucking up your BIOS and that restarts your machine. Do you have SmartFan, Shuttle's basic fan control in BIOS, enabled, and if so, what settings. I'd ask for your SpeedFan settings but I doubt you are able to get far enough along to read them. SmartFan should be just set to normal, default settings. Same with SpeedFan.

Is there some routine that happens when you start SpeedFan, like the fans stop, or they start running real fast, or any messages on the screen? Do the temps go way high?

In any case, download the basic free version of Everest by Lavalys, http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=1&lang=en. It monitors everything in your computer and I mean everything.

Meanwhile, if you don't get anywhere with SpeedFan, I would suggest the old faithful, reinstall windows (with SP2) and SpeedFan.

Oh yeah, what version are you using?
    Invent the Future

BlackJack
    Shuttle SN95G5
    AMD 65 3500+ . 2x512 Corsair ValueSelect 2.5 CAS
    2x120 GB Samsung SATA . Plextor 712A
    BFG GeForce 6800 GT oc . Dell 2001FP

Big Daddy
    Sager 8886

Thread Information