Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new gaming pc suggestions

Thanks

new gaming pc suggestions

Iam sick and tired of me rig ****ing up and stuff, so i wanna go with a nice 939 rig, with a small overclock.

Now ill need a CPU, motherboard, Video card and ram. i also will need a PCI express PSU i think or can i use my 520watt OCZ??

iam thinking 3800+ venice, with the asus nforce 4, don't want dfi as i think there **** now, and a x850xtpe, i ca'n't wait for r520 and i don't wanna spend so much on a 7800.

Thanks
    What does the motherboard do thats so annoying? What speed to do run that cpu at?

Thanks
    your psu will be fine.

get the new Asus A8N SLI Premium as it has a silent heatsink/heatpipe combo on it so no annoying ****ty fan to break. Either that or the Abit AN8 Ultra (not fatality) also has a silent chipset cooler and is alot cheaper.

Maybe get a San Diego 3700+? It will overclock as far as a 3800+ venice but has 1MB cache.

For RAM corsair's XMS3200XL Platinum TCCD Ram is a good cheap low latency ram that overclocks well also.

graphics card wise save £50 and get a x850xt, from all the benchmarks the difference between that and the PE is tiny for the cost

all of those together come to about £770 (specced on both OCuk and Scan) get a decent HSF (is aircooled - the Akasa Evo33 at £25ish is supposed to be good) and your spending about £800. The 3700+ may overclock to 2.7GHZ, maybe 2.8GHZ (FX-57 speeds?). That is on air AFAIK, although over 2.7 apparently that need alot more volts. I have seen people get 3.2 on a Prometia Mach II. - this isnt first hand experience, I read about it on various sites but anyway if I was spending about £800 that is the spec I would go for.

Thanks
    3700+'s will run 2800MHz+ without much voltage if you don't try to run super high RAM speeds at super tight timings.

I'd be interested in what your rig is doing wrong. Seems like everytime I turn around you're telling us how stable it is with your huge water-cooled overclocks.

Your rig is awesome for games. What kind of problems are you having? I've had many issues with S754 DFI boards but many people swear by them.

Thanks
    Just looked at your posts, so do you run that at 2.75ghz all the time? If so other than your 'problems' i dont see how a 3800+ venice with a 'small overclock' is going to improve performance much.

If you just feel like selling all your stuff and starting from scratch for fun, thats fair enough, but i dont see how youll do a great deal better without spending a fortune.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Infidel
    Just looked at your posts, so do you run that at 2.75ghz all the time? If so other than your 'problems' i dont see how a 3800+ venice with a 'small overclock' is going to improve performance much.

If you just feel like selling all your stuff and starting from scratch for fun, thats fair enough, but i dont see how youll do a great deal better without spending a fortune.
    Agreed!

Thanks
    iam not trying to get a performance increase, ive had it with stabilty, and i want to move to 939.

im not after big clocks, and i don't want to spent a fortune, iam thinking maybe keep my x800xtpe and get a agp board, but most of them are pretty crap aren't they? 939 of course.

As for ram, i think ill get 2gb, as im not really gonna o/c much now, im sick and tired of benching and having an unstable pc, it's not practicle to have a benching/gaming pc as one.

iam selling everything off, so hopefully ill make about half back, if not more.

i dunno, i thought this was the way to, it's also about the noise and the water cooling. i had fun doing it, and it's a very good water setup, if not one of the best, but id rather go simple back to air.

if anyone has any better ideas, id love to hear em.

Thanks
    Well, thats fair enough. Ive never understood the benchmarking obsession. Personally i find with most cpus (eg my 3ghz s478 prescott) theres bench stable (4ghz+) then theres stable (3.9ghz) then theres the practical overclock (3.8ghz) which allows your computer to run almost as fast but without as much of the heat, noise, instability, hassle of large overclocks. With that kind of level i dont see any drawbacks.

However i guess itd be nice to never have to think to yourself; i wonder if this'll die any second, just before i save my work....

Thanks
    I sort of like the MSI K8N Neo2 and the Asus A8V-E Deluxe for AGP boards. Both are stable and fast if you understand their quirks. The Asus is less quirky but doesn't overclock quite as well as the MSI. They are my two favorite S939 AGP boards. If you ever want to run an X2 though I'd stick with the Asus A8N-E Deluxe (PCI-E video required). What a great board. My only problem has been finding enough of them.

Thanks
    What problems are there, exactly with those boards Storm, for AGP? cause i could keep my X800XTPE then.

I cannot see myself getting an R520 or w/e, but geting another AGP board does seems a bit lame, im not sure, what you guys think.

iam leening towards a 3700+ SD now, with the Asus board you said, 2GB of ram, and a x850xt.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    Umm... Why isnt anyone recommending an Abit AN8 Mobo for AGP? I feel its a really stable borad to begin with... and it overclocks very well, 295MHz HTT ceiling.. I've heard good stuff about asus, but I've also heard it won't break 220MHz HTT mark too... Why not give Abit a go?... I mean, since u wanted to keep that X800XT of yours?
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sawyen
    Umm... Why isnt anyone recommending an Abit AN8 Mobo for AGP?
    because it's PCI-E?

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    What problems are there, exactly with those boards Storm, for AGP? cause i could keep my X800XTPE then.

I cannot see myself getting an R520 or w/e, but geting another AGP board does seems a bit lame, im not sure, what you guys think.

iam leening towards a 3700+ SD now, with the Asus board you said, 2GB of ram, and a x850xt.
    The problems with the MSI are only problems if you don't set it up right. It has some very specific requirements in the BIOS and in the way you configure the board if you want it to overclock well. If you do it correctly it will be super fast and stable. If you get one let me know and I'll shoot you a link to what I'm talking about. It's simple to do, you just have to make sure you do it, that's all. It's no big deal.

You already have the best AGP board so buying another is probably pointless.

That would be an awesome rig. Make sure you get the X850 XT PE though because the non-PE is slower than your X800 XT PE.

Thanks
    • sawyen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Laptop motherboard
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 740QM
      • Memory:
      • 8192MB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB SSD, 1TB WD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Mobility HD 5870
      • PSU:
      • MSI stuff
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 64bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin ADSL rubbish
    ehehehe... AV8 I meant... my apologies...
    Me want Ultrabook

Thanks
    yeah Storm, i really don't want to go AGP again, but no-one is interested in this kick ass card.

And any x850 is gonna be slower than this, lol it was a bad ass clocker.

I might get 7800GTX, r a 4400dualie i dunno yet, the mobo is still the thing iam unsure off.

You say the asus, board i obviously don't want SLI, you got any reviews, stuff of it? You own one yourself?

Thanks
    Ive definatly made up my mind on the CPU, gonna get a 3700SD, definatly with 2gb corsair.

Now im just unsure of the mobo, ill either get a 7800, or a x850xtpe.

I just want a nice stable board, with a bit of overclocking, obviouly not that much with my memory, no bios flashing or any crap like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information