Thread: dvd region

Thanks

dvd region

i have a pioneer 105 4x dvd-rw, ive not tryed to watch any films on it so far.

the shop i got it from seems to have set teh region to R1, i need r2.

the problem is, when i try to change it (4 times left) it says i need R2 media in the drive, and admin provalages...

soo.... im loged in as admin, is that enuf? also i have a R2 trialer disk for kill bill (i think it was free in a paper or somin)

so how can i change it? i cant send the drive back, due to i was suppost to recive a drive worth about £80 less.. they sent me the wrong one...

ive treyd apps last night, i think they were called ANYDVD and another one, supposadbly able to remove region protection in software.. didnt work atall...

i dont wanna flash the drive, unless some 1 with same drive can tell me exactly what files i need, and what it changed in there drives after.. i not a fan of flashing, it half killed my router when i done that... (flashed mobo and other things many times though with no probs)...

also my brother wants to get a dvd+-rw drive, which is the best, i think he has baout £100 to spend

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    like i said in IRC, the halfway-apps like ANYDVD don't work as well as a real unregioned drive, the firmware you need is http://pioneerdvd.rpc1.org/105f_133.zip, and it carries the same risk of any flashing (tho i've enver killed an optical drive with flashing).

you also need to have an unregioned dvd player software - e.g. use DVDGenie & PowerDVD

Banned
    Thanks
    From memory there are 2 things you need to overcome to make your drive multi-region. IIRC RPC1 is the protection built in to your drive, you usually flash the drive's BIOS to overcome it. The second is RPC2 which is located in the player sw, again can be overcome by patches. A quick search should point you to the necessary stuff inc sw that reports on your current status (so you can verify if you are region free).

I looked into DVD Writers not long ago, NEC ND1300A (IIRC) was my top choice with Sony's cheap (OEM) drive close behind. Plenty of things to consider outside of the obvious + AND - compatibility.

Thanks
    i was more hoping for the way to make windows let me change it, instead of the error! do i really need to have a r2 region dvd in the drive to change it? i am loged in as admin....

Banned
    Thanks
    Only way to find out is to try it. I would still have thought it worth making it and the player(s) region free though.

Thanks
    yea, but if i cant change the region, then im not very optimistic of being able to change the firmware...

Thanks
    By the sounds of it the easiest thing to do would be to just move to America, then you wouldn't have a problem
    Desktop: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton, 1024Mb PC-3200 TwinMOS w/Winbond, MSI K7N2 Delta-ILSR, Radeon 9800SE AIW, 40 GB 7,200 Rpm Hitachi Deskstar, 120GB 7,200 Rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor Diamond 9, 160GB 7200 Rpm 8mb Cache Seagate 7200.7 SATA, Plextor 708A 8x DVD-RW, 550W PFC Q-tec PSU, Casetek 1019SM Silver Case, Camdridge Soundworks DTT2200 Speakers

Laptop: Clevo D470W - 17" Widescreen TFT, Intel Pentium4 3.06Ghz 533FSB, 1024Mb PC-2700 Hynix, Radeon Mobility 9000 64Mb, Fujitsu 80Gb 4,200rpm, 250Gb 7,2000rpm 8mb Cache Maxtor OneTouch, Toshiba SD-R6372 DVD-RW +/- x4, Built-in Four speakers, webcam and microphone

Thanks
    Found a nice program for firmware flashing under windows. Use at your own risk.

This worked for me whereas using the DOS one didnt.

http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/multime...fupw2k_108.zip

Have fun.

Thanks
    ok, how do i flash in win2k..the file directhex gave = win9x.. though i do have win9x boot disk somewhere :/

m2c4u - the app didnt work, giving this error:
    File Name : D:\Drivers\dvd\p105\105f_133\105f_133.hex
    F/W file load success.
    Firmware File Type : ATAPI SLOT PIONEER Model
    Version : 1.33
    Selected drive is not supported by this program.

Thread Information