Thread: Overclocking on the Asus P4C800

Thanks

Overclocking on the Asus P4C800

Hi,

I have just purchased an Intel Pentium 4 3000 (800) and an Asus P4C800 Motherboard, as this is the 1st Intel set-up I have had for over 4 Years I have a couple of questions....

1) I have set the AI overclock to manual but it will only let me see and raise the FSB, is this how it usually works when overclocking on this motherboard?.

2) The memory I have is PC3700 - DDR466, am I right in thinking the memory is currently operating below its full speed (with the CPU at 200 FSB) and does overclocking the CPU bring the memory up to full DDR433 speed? (I ask this because after increasing the FSB of the CPU to 233 the memory score stayed the same on the benchmarks). My last Motherboard was the Asus A7V8X and I could increase and see both the FSB and Multiplier (this was with an AMD CPU), and when the FSB was increased on the CPU the memory scores also went up in benchmarks.

3) What's the highest stable overlock anyone has reached with this CPU on a standard air cooled machine without Voltage increases. 233 FSB increased the speed to 3.49GHz but there doesn't seem to be much noticeable difference.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, its been a long day .

Cheers
    Adam
    Last edited by adamsh; 27-07-2003 at 05:17 PM.

slave of the hypnotoad
    Thanks
    1) the multiplier on your processor is locked (this is normal), you therefore won't be able to change this, changing the FSB is the usual way to overclock your chip.

2) there should be a fsb/mem ratio selector, if this is set to 1/1, ie. your memory running at the same speed as the FSB then yes, at 200 FSB, your memory will be running below specification at 200 Mhz also.

if you leave the ratio set to 1/1 then if you increase the FSB to 233 then your memory should also run at 233Mhz, which should increase memory benchmarks.

it may be possible that you are using a different mem/fsb ratio reducing the memory speed to below the fsb?

3) i don't know but 3.5Ghz if you haven't increased the voltage sounds pretty good to me.

Thanks
    Hi,

I don't see any FSB/Mem ratio selector in the bios. The only settings I see relating to the memory and CPU are as follows...

CPU Clock External Frequency: inceases in amount by 1 FSB at a time
    Dram Frequency: Auto, 266, 320, 400

Not memory or CPU related but
    AGP/PCI Frequency: Auto, 66.66/33.33, 72.73/36.36, 80.00/40.00

Does this mean I can only have my memory running at the preset speeds and not at 233 (when I leave it on Auto nothing seems to improve)

Thread Information